Workout I've been doing

Tonymac

P I Z Z A
Driver
So yeah there's no more workout thread and I'm not trying to start another one, but most of this site is guys and eventually most of us end up in the gym. I've recently discovered a site which has a different approach to working out and I wanted to share it with you guys b/c the results for me have been awesome. Bear in mind that naturally I'm a skinny dude. At 5'11", without any concern for my physical state, I'll weigh in at about 135lbs. My legs and arms are long and my core and back are naturally weak so I always had trouble at the gym with exercises like squats, deadlifts, pullups, and the bench press. Enter stronglifts.com

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Its a routine that basically consists of two workouts (A & B) about every other day of the week with a two day break between cycles. There are 5 exercises each day where you do 5x5 sets/reps. Read about it, the philosophy is simple as are the exercises. A buddy brought this site to my attn and I figured screw it. I had been going to the gym on and off for years and I have never had results like this before. Mind you, I'm not in my 20's like most of you guys so if you try it, your results will probably be better. I used to max out at about 185 on a good day and today i managed 2x5 at 185 after doing 3x5 at 175. I'm up to a much more solid 146 now too btw (took 1.5 months to gain 6lbs of lean mass). I could post up other results if anyone's interested.

I don't follow his diet plan b/c I can handle the carbs and not get fat but for you heavier folk, it might be good for you to check out. I also supplement his workout by doing some bicep exercises on off days (very brief but just to keep them worked out). He doesn't believe in bicep exercises but i do.

I'm excited to be doing this program and thought maybe some of you will wnat to reap its benefits as well. Also, I'm not looking for a debate here. I know there 100 different approaches to working out and workout guys tend to get very insecure abt their workout and will defend their approach to the bitter end. If you disagree with it, save your breath.

I'll give it a shot though, I'm always interested in trying new routines at the gym.
The program seems to work out every part of your body too, so doesn't really much out.

read about this on bodybuilding.com
From what I read this workout is meant for you to build up strength on your core workouts.
Then after about a month or 2 you start adding specific workouts like bicep and calves, blah blah blah.
This way you have a good base to work with.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
thats the link

No that's inaccurate. The next step up in the strong lifts 5x5 program (advanced program) is nothing like that.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-advanced-strength-training-for-intermediates/

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Like i said though, I don't follow the program 100%. On my supplement day I work my biceps 3 ways and (funny you mentioned it) I do calf raises. That's also b/c I don't want beavis legs.

Last edited:
tony good find buddy, i have been going to the gym now 3 days a week, and just kinda winging it lol... so this is TERRIFIC and the best part is its free! i hate all these workout plans and then they are like ooh well uhhh 28 bucks to get the book im like fuck that!

even though i was winging it the last month now i have lost a good 10lbs and a pants size, just started high protein no carbs today! so this should really be great!

Read up on the ketosis diet - it explains how/why it that diet (strong lifts) works. Atkins is commercialized bs btw. If you really want to lose weight by taking out carbs, you have to be religious about it. I did the ketosis diet after i hit a flabby 168 last year and I shed 28lbs in a month.

yeah atkins is garbage... and i understand what i gotta do lol, i used to do it for month spreads all the time back in the football days when i needed to shed some weight lol.... always too big for my class! anyway thanks tony

only difference in the actual ketosis and what i do is i keep my fruits and vegetables open like, good morning eggs, then lunch is a burger (no bun of course), then snack on bacon or chicken, or tuna,... dinner salad with chicken! good diet tho because it allows you to eat all day! its crazy though because you stay hungry! i keep the protein intake above 100grams per day and when i stay religious after a week i shed serious weight like 10+lbs! (supposedly its not healthy to lose more than 1-3lbs per week but hey idgaf!)

Last edited:
Yeah I like fruit so that diet was hard. I felt dirty after eating as much bacon as i did in a month. It really works though, that's for sure.

Yeah I like fruit so that diet was hard. I felt dirty after eating as much bacon as i did in a month. It really works though, that's for sure.

lol!!! seriously i cook like 10lbs of chicken i make a huge bowl of tuna, and two packs of bacon, and like SERIOUS burgers and just peruse through it over the course of two weeks! lol... its gross but it works so well

*disclaimer- all numbers above are roughly estimated and exaggerated!

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Try this its my little recipe of total HAPPINESS !!!!!

Nice 1/3lbs burger, boars head chicken, good sllice of cheese (whatever floats your boat) texas pete hot sauce, salt pepper, and a little butter...

get the burger going... when you flip the burger get the butter and chicken goin, cook chicken until lightly cooked, then take chicken and put it into your hot sauce coating it thoroughly with the texas pete, then plop the chicken ontop of the burger and the cheese on top of that!!!! plate + a little ketchup(less than 5carbs) = HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom