Window nets/arm restraints issue at PBIR

doug in nc

Spectator
7.6 WINDOW RESTRAINTS
All cars shall have a window net, the clear O.E.M. glass, or a piece of clear Lexan or other polycarbonate material, in place of both front window openings whenever the car is on-track. All open top cars (i.e. convertibles) shall use arm restraints instead of a window or window net. Occupants may choose to use arm restraints in lieu of the required window or window net.

I find myself ALWAYS finding some tid bit of information in the rule books that I either missed or forgot and one of them was arm restraints/window nets. At any level of racing it's on the driver and his team to be fully compliant with the rules for the event in which they are participating. When it comes tech time, the inspection is just a formality really and the driver should already have everything squared away.

At Am events, we hear "You let me run it like that last time" which really chafes my willy. From time to time we hear it at the Pro-Am level too but not as much. The opportunity to run something last time that wasn't compliant with the rules should have been interpreted as a courtesy or a fix-it ticket approach to getting the team and driver in to the action. Ultimately, the rules and safety requirements are there before and after the event and the vehicle should be fully compliant regardless of what is or is not checked during tech.

This past weekend I found myself barking over the radio that window nets/arm restraints were not in the rule book and I couldn't force a driver to comply with a new rule, day of, if it wasn't in the rule book. Well, I was in the wrong, big time, and wanted to clarify for everyone. It IS in the rules and I missed it, I owe an apology to the drivers for instructing them wrongly AND to the FD officials telling us that they were required.

So... with that I see I have more reading to do and I would hope each driver would CONSTANTLY be reading the rule books to make sure they are up to spec with every aspect of the rules/regulations in order to be compliant but more importantly, safe for future events.
Doug

woops i did put my arm out the window at one point like a dick head. That probably drew attention to the situation.

Yeah, there was a big long chat about that. Like... 6 hours. We decided the appropriate administrative action was to require you to change your s/n to
"Bill "Look no hands!" Stenger" instead of "Bill Fisher". I keed I keed!

I'll have to research that some for ya Chris. I know the window nets have SFI ratings and such but never really researched options for arm restraints. May be able to get to it tomorrow night, have class tonight and Fri.

Chris, so far I've not found a variety of arm restraints. The options seem to be window or one of maybe two different designs. The first one you posted up piles on top of the existing harness buckle.

The other design is one like this:
38501_1_orig.jpg

It will have a loop that can be slipped over the crotch belt before it's fastened in to the camlock harness or any harness for that matter. This may give you more range of motion downward than one fastened to the latch/link buckle but your upward and outward range will still be properly confined to inside the cabin.

A variety of manufacturers offer similar arm restraints for about the same price. Both designs will run you from about $20-50 bucks. Let me know if that was the sort of alternative you were looking for.

Sorry for the delay in a response. According to the FD Pro-Am rules, you are required to have windows up, lexan or nets in place of both front windows while the car is on course. The answer is YES you may use use the triangular window net on the inboard side providing you do not have a passenger in the car (For exhibition or other non-competition reasons) AND the net has the proper certifications (SFI, FIA, Etc). I would really prefer to see one with a quick release like this (except inboard instead of as shown:
window%20net%202.jpg

However, so long as the net is certified and properly installed then you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom