Why you should not buy a cheap ait filter

so last thursday i was at the 240 monthly meet and a little skittle/srt4 came through making noise as i was leaving... so i followed and went to play...rolled 2nd gear and pulled out on him nice and hit 3rd and lost power.....thought i blew an inercooler pipe or a map vacum line or something.....pulled over and had white exahust smoke.......also had 0 boost so figured i killed the stock turbos....
well i pulled em off to go single turbo and find the inside metal part of the filter came off and was in the intake pipe blocking off the front turbo.....and left a nice hole for debris to enter....im not sure if a rock came in and blew it apart...or if it revved too hig trying to maintain boost since the front turbo was blocked off?....i dunno...its a ceramic turbo so im guessing something came in the intake from the hole in the air filter and hit the spinning blades and blew it up......take a look :)
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

learn from my mistake...im hoping the motor wasnt affected and bolting on the single turbo...so out of bad comes good but this could happed to anyone...so be careful
Jeff

Last edited:
Yeah when I bought the "enjuku racing" intake for my last car and realized it was nothing more than a POS air filter like that, i threw it away. This isn't really a lesson for most people - shit parts tend to perform shittily.

its different hearing it to seeing it....i never thought too much about a simple air filter...and its hp racing...not even an ebay pos.....
so it is a lesson to be learned with pics to prove

^Yeah that's just an ebay filter with a new box. You can tell by looking at it. They also feel entirely different than something like a K&N.

Sucks that happened to you though buddy.

I don't understand why people with expensive cars nd expensive swap cheap out on the little things.

im not using cheap parts...it was a temp fix while i was getting the single kit together...the car is a 240...its not even an expensive car.....
i didnt even buy the filter it was given to me...and i havent even put 1k miles on the car since its running....
i try to be nice to help others out and you guys bash like im some newbie....
im not looking for any sympathy either..i made a mistake..im not suing HP or anything..i fucked up and just trying to show and let others know....dont make the same mistake
no need for the stoopid comments.....
Jeff

im not using cheap parts...it was a temp fix while i was getting the single kit together...the car is a 240...its not even an expensive car.....
i didnt even buy the filter it was given to me...and i havent even put 1k miles on the car since its running....
i try to be nice to help others out and you guys bash like im some newbie....
im not looking for any sympathy either..i made a mistake..im not suing HP or anything..i fucked up and just trying to show and let others know....dont make the same mistake
no need for the stoopid comments.....
Jeff

shit happens right?...good lookin out bro:bigthumbu

Back
Top Bottom