Where is the accountability?

z_three_two

Tempus edax rerum
Driver
Ok, so I need some help assessing a situation only because I've never had something exactly happen, something close, but not exactly like this. It's all weird, and very irritating.

--​

Rewind to a few months ago, I bought a differential, said differential was stored away to be replaced with a whiny one I had in my car [it cried, but it worked--only the sound bothered me].

Fast forward to the present time, where my differential was changed by a shop. I take it to the shop because working on my car at my house isn't very convenient--its raining leaves, flowers and shit like that--I don't have a decent area to work on my stuff, and that's why I occasionally pay people to do the big stuff .
IMG_0175.jpg

I hate working in dirt and shit.

I saw the work get done the whole time through, exhaust dropped, drive-shaft unbolted bla bla bla, diff fluid replaced, etc. After test driving the car though, there was a weird grinding sound, like metal on metal (low growl in neutral and rolling, loud growl much like the whine I had when under accel] "Fuuuuck"--thats it, I had provided the part, the work was done.

I figured I'd have time to change the diff in the coming days (was hoping for the next day from the same shop. It was a no-go so I called around). Did a quick errand for work on the way home from the shop, and thats when I notice that theres gear oil all over the back of my car, and on the exhaust.:mad: The grinding gets louder, and starts to screech every time on decel.

Turned it on this morning, going to take it to another shop to take a look at it, and the rear locks up a few blocks away. Got it towed back (interesting faggotry with the tow driver btw*), said "fuck it I'll do it myself---not made of $", jacked it up--and saw this:

IMG_0170.jpg

What would even cause this?

I'm not one to usually open threads when frustrated but, I ended up swapping the diff out myself (found a pretty easy way to drop it after taking it off the shell--learning curve fuck yeah), lost a day of work, doctor appointment, and $225 in parts and labor, time and my own labor that I was trying to avoid. $225 might seem cheap to some of you, but thats no joke to me. Am I the dumbass for trusting people/their parts or waiting so long to replace the diff? Who do I pursue? No one? Do Leprechauns go by stealing peoples diff drain plugs? I let something like this slide [figure of speech, sans 'drift'] last year, but really tired and a little wired.

What would you do?

Needless to say I'm a little more weary of people, lol.

Will not name drop.

Sparknote/TLDR:
Bought diff, got it swapped a couple of months later, diff growled and locked up after shop swapped it--but it was growling right after the swap so I don't think the part itself was their fault. While taking it to another shop, shit locked up and wouldn't budge, got it towed. Took a day off work that I wont get back, doc appt, and worked on this shit all day--jacked it up and found the diff drain plug missing, but I saw the shop put in the fluid and all looked well. Is it all water under the bridge? Was it the part provider? Was it the shop? Move on? Call "Help me Howard?"

/rant /coolstory
crying-baby-photo.jpg

*Bonus tow truck driver story:
The car was at an awkward angle when it locked up because I was merging onto the street.
1st stupid comment: ~"you put it in a bad angle." <-- Yes, because I chose for it to lock up halfway onto the street.
2nd stupid comment: "Its too low" <-- He was blind-- I need moar low.
3rd stupid comment while in the truck cabin: "It's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, I don't get why the rear would lock up like that..?" <--wat

My under-engine cover is gone now btw, thanks to that asshole, smiling while my bumper gets all bent to shit. Luckily it didn't break, but it was painful to watch.

Last edited:
consider it a 225 dollar lesson to never take it to a shop unless you personally know the person/shop doing the work. and even then i still do 99.99% of my car stuff

consider it a 225 dollar lesson to never take it to a shop unless you personally know the person/shop doing the work. and even then i still do 99.99% of my car stuff

Also of my customers are very capiable and can do things them selves but rather pay than do it on the floor or they just dont have the time. it takes about 1/2 the time to do everything on a lift. Some shops are just like that though and really dont have experienced techs. I would go explain the problem to them and a good shop will fix the problem and make it right. Just stay cool and dont get mad and yell. it looks like its most likely an honest mistake and shouldnt be a big problem. On the other hand alot of people try to screw over the shops to get a new motor they will take the drain plug out or in this case the diff. hope you get it all sorted out

I wouldn't use that shop anymore.....

Also of my customers are very capiable and can do things them selves but rather pay than do it on the floor or they just dont have the time. it takes about 1/2 the time to do everything on a lift. Some shops are just like that though and really dont have experienced techs. I would go explain the problem to them and a good shop will fix the problem and make it right. Just stay cool and dont get mad and yell. it looks like its most likely an honest mistake and shouldnt be a big problem. On the other hand alot of people try to screw over the shops to get a new motor they will take the drain plug out or in this case the diff. hope you get it all sorted out

Exactly! A diff swap isnt that bad, but a lift makes it sooooo much easier lmao. Next time, go to someone that you have heard good feedback about (Estie, Chris Jackson). The shop could have just put the plug in half way and maybe it unscrewed and fell out?? Idk, but you cant blame the part provider. If you didnt notice the plug missing, well lesson learned. If it was there and then fell out, Id say blame the shop and just dont use them anymore...

damn dude im very sorry to hear all of this, i sold ya the diff but we both spun it and it spun freely:confused: if it was messed up to the point it was grinding it would of locked up with just a hand turning it. the fact that the drain plug is missing sounds like the shop messed something up, been trying to call ya to figure this all out. hit me up when you get a chance

Back
Top Bottom