What ever happened to rocking open diffs?

Piner said:
Yeah actually the trick to drifting open diff is VERY fast entry to gain momentum to slide through the whole corner

Like no lift entrys

True

A high entry speed is the only way to get the non-drive wheel to break traction (or rain).

I, personally, have never seen anyone really hold a drift for a significant amount of time on an open diff. I'm not saying it can't be done, but i believe that it will limit your speed/entry options.

Don't wanna start any flame wars here, but to me, it's similar to FF drifting, more of a power slide than a continuous, throttled controlled drift. Maybe someone can prove me wrong tomorrow :)

All that being said, run what you brung and have fun. My Sup is 1.5 way, but my 240 is as open and i still have fun with it (planning a Tomei 2 way though).

/KRM

KRM said:
I, personally, have never seen anyone really hold a drift for a significant amount of time on an open diff. I'm not saying it can't be done, but i believe that it will limit your speed/entry options.

Nonsense. Complete nonsense actually. Proper steering control is crucial to control angle.

And it doesnt make it that much worse, because the same cars with stock power and different diffs would still have a harder time keeping that rear end out.

I learned how to drift in a open-differ then i upgraded to a vlsd..yeah its not the same but i laugh when people use the excuse "ohh i can't drift cause am open diff"

I rock an open diff but I prefer a locked/LSD over that 10000x day's a week...obvioulsy...but I can drift open diff. :)

Kouk1 Dr1fteR said:
I learned how to drift in a open-differ then i upgraded to a vlsd..yeah its not the same but i laugh when people use the excuse "ohh i can't drift cause am open diff"

Well, you have decent stock power, and a coilover set up. When I had my old SR5 with 70 hp, open diff or not, it just did not have the power to hold a drift. If I would have installed the LSD on that car, it would not be able to drift either. Even clutch kicking during the drift would not help because it had no power.

rwdrift said:
I look back and remember when everyone and their mom were open diff, sliding like crazy. Juan (xero240) was the first one to get an LSD, and then it slowly took over.

I know I have been on an LSD for a while.... but I dont seem to understand why people swear they cannot drift without LSD. I have over a year practicing on open diffs.

I have heard many mentions of getting LSDs before drifting and that drifting just isnt possible without one. NOT TRUE. To anyone who wants to drift, just go all out on whatever you have.... it is very possible... I've done it for a year in my e30, and several others have done it well on their s13s.

Seems like people are more interested in doing donuts in first gear than actual drifting. :boring:

/rant

i have been in ocala for a month w/o a car, i met a nice kid that lets me drift his s13 open diff once in a while, car is bone stock with coilovers and i was surprised at the shit i was able to do. its all about momentum. lsd is fun, esp. lsd+powa! but no, not nessecary. :cool:

shit I have seen many people including myself carry out a full drift around the flat section of the big turn at OSW all the way around you just gotta go 60+ mph to do it

Back
Top Bottom