Welding your diff.

Blackzenki82

(OO\_SKYLINE_/OO)
Driver
Well i got my diff professionally welded by my buddy Josh Napoli of J&K Machine shop today to my specs, and since it was the PROPER way or at least PROCESS of prep cleaning and welding, i figured since i was having it done right, I'd take pics and maybe show the new guys how to clean/weld their diffs my way, as well as many others.

I'll keep this short and to the point with pics and captions, sorry for the lower quality but i didn't think I'd do a write up and was just using my cell.

Step 1. Clean your Diff. let it drain completely, if you're in your garage, use brake parts cleaner (the kind that doubles as a flame throwing spider killer), and thoroughly clean the spider gears, and as much of the inner housing as possible. as shown, it's in a parts washer.

0701011631.jpg

Clean on the inside clean on the outside, clean on the inside clean on the....

0701011644.jpg

finish it up with brake parts cleaner (make sure to hit both sides thoroughly)

0701011649.jpg

in my case, i chose to run with gusset plates for added insurance.

0701011649a.jpg

bing bing, one on right was trimmed after this photo.

0701011657.jpg

Step 3. SECURE THE DIFF!!

0701011657a.jpg

also secure the ring set as shown, tack weld the top of each spider gear on both sides, make sure tack, turn, tack turn, or you'll overheat the bearings.

0701011701.jpg

Step 3. WELD!

0701011719.jpg

usually you can just fill in the ring set, but as shown, i chose to run gussets, you can see the fill around it, do so similar without the gussets, weld, turn, weld, turn

0701011833.jpg

Allow cool down as necessary, i chose to let it cool with the all the filler, so while it did, i got to ride this sketchy bitch for about 45 minutes....

Why Bar Stool?.................... Because Racecar.

0701011725.jpg

then, throw in 2.5 quarts of the cheapest 75w90 you can find, install it and rape face (on the track).

Once again, thanks go out to Josh Napoli of J&K Machine shop, they do full machine work and are top quality, also to my girlfriend for putting up with me and my "drift car".

Fin.

My favorite parts. hahahaha

you ever want to drive that death trap, hit me up next time you're up in gville, I'll bring ya to the shop... just be carefull "itz got wun uh dem solid chayn drivin' acksals" so it's prone to understeer like a bitch, and the throttle is a bicycle brake handle converted to a throttle, more sensitive than a unsprung 6 puck, drive with one hand, throttle with the other at 45mph on pure sketch...

fucking thing is awesome.

^x2. I was thinking of using the gusset plates on my next welded diff I get done, I know you havent had it for long, but in your opinion do you think they make that much of a difference?

I'm sure in the long run, those gussets will help a ton with all that abuse. I've never used them, but it's cheap and easy insurance on the diff.

I love any write-up with pictures. :bigthumbu

^x2. I was thinking of using the gusset plates on my next welded diff I get done, I know you havent had it for long, but in your opinion do you think they make that much of a difference?

I'm sure in the long run, those gussets will help a ton with all that abuse. it's cheap and easy insurance on the diff.

there's your answer...

i did the gussets for that added insurance, i know that at any track the LAST thing to fail on my is going to be the welds in my diff. and when i drive 2-3 hours to an event, i want to make sure at least my diff wont be the reason i can't make it back. before he set the gussets, he filled in all around the spider gears, even looking at it at the time i was like "well, fuck, i could leave it just like that, that's a lot of metal!" but i decided to ahead and do the gussets.

reliability, and resale. when i eventually get back into a 2way LSD, this diff will be worth a whopping $10 more than anyone elses, due to it's known, and over built assembly.

Back
Top Bottom