Weekend Roundup: Ter-Tech's Drift Practice at PBIR

Captain Ben

Hypermiler
Staff member
tertech_pbir.jpg

With the weather taking a turn for the worse throughout South Florida, some wondered if the event would get rescheduled. Luckily the event organizers did not have to exercise that option as the track stayed dry throughout the entire evening at PBIR. The drivers that came out were split into two groups with the first group consisting of beginner/novice drivers and the second group with advanced drivers. The vehicle line-up consisted mostly of 240SX’s but there was a pair of 350Z’s, a RX-7, and an old 5-series to name a few.

Even though most of the drivers came out to practice, some of the them used the event to prepare for upcoming competitions. One of them being Bill Fisher who for some odd reason looked to win the earliest entry award, even though the event was not a competition. When asked why he was going for the earliest entry he remarked, “I don’t know what I’m doing out there”. Ryan Kaufman spent some time doing tandems with Bill and Harri but struggled with grip issues throughout the night. Even after applying various suspension adjustments and different tire pressures, his rear tires couldn’t handle the astronomical torque being delivered by the V8. Jason Guild was thankful to have suffered a steering issue that ended his night at this event and not at the upcoming XDC competition. Being the only major problem he suffered that evening, he was satisfied with the cars performance.

The event wasn’t without it’s share of incidents. Harvey’s 300ZX made contact with the wall and a $4500 stock S13 240SX lost a large portion of it’s value when the rear-quarter panel gave a high-five to the tire wall. Those are the two that I was made aware of and thankfully no one needed to be towed away.

While there was plenty of action taking place on the track, in the pit area enthusiasts were treated with special appearances by notable figures from the drift scene. Chelsea Denofa stopped by to check out Ter-Tech’s “Ultimate Drift Machine” and to highlight the advantages you get with using BC-Racing products. Bill ‘Hachibill‘ Sherman was on hand to offer advice and instruction to those in the beginner group. But the most notable figure in my opinion had to have been the surprise visit by none other than Hannu Tervola, brother of Finnish star Harri Tervola.

It was the first time in years since I’ve seen the brothers together and throughout that time Hannu has been busy in Finland organizing events and helping put together a professional drift series for the country. Taking a break from his duties in his homeland, Hannu was in town not only to test drive his brother’s car but to also work on their next album.

Before they produced sounds of high-revving motors burning through tires, the Tervola brothers produced electronic music that captivated the hearts of fans worldwide. Critics everywhere considered their music to be “Perrrfect”. While they enjoyed the fame and glory that came with the business, their passion was set on drifting and soon retired from the music scene after delivering five #1 hit albums. The brothers bid farewell to their fans and eventually parted ways with Hannu staying in Finland and Harri moving to Florida. The rest is history.

Aside from the special guest appearances it was another regular night of drifting at PBIR. The clouds took mercy on the track as the surrounding areas were attacked with torrential rain and turbulent winds. For those wondering when the next drift practice is scheduled, mark your calendars for June 8.

Upcoming Events:

Last edited:
Ben,

Remind me why you don't write for a magazine? Because your work is fun and informative.

No more pics? :( any pics of my hood into my windshield. Didn't break it tho
No.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Ben,

Remind me why you don't write for a magazine? Because your work is fun and informative.
I don't know. Haven't really thought about that.

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

heh, thank you for the kind words :)
You're welcome. Don't forget to post an update on your car when you get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom