VLSD Question

Emeru

Driver
So i been doing some research, and i found out that i can actually buy a J30 Vlsd or a 300zx vlsd, take out the vlsd and install it into my open diff pumpkin, so axles, output shafts, and pumpkin are still the same. Reason why this benefits me is my axles have maybe no more then 3k miles as i changed them a while back.

So im simply wondering if anyone on here has done it, how hard is it really ? and is there anything else i would need besides what im stating?

PS: don't tell me to weld my diff because its cheaper more effective BS. Im not welding it.

just weld your diff. its not as bad as you think it is as long as you dont drive like an asshole. remember clutches wear and eventually wont hold anymore. and youll be right back to an open diff. so imo just weld your current diff and save the extra cash for a future 1.5 or 2 way lsd

Last edited:
Do not weld your diff to daily. I did it for like a year and it sucked. But don't drift a stock LSD that sucks just as much

I daily my welded about 70 miles a day in any weather and I don't even notice it..

Weld your fucking diff. Its not only cheaper, its more effective too.

VLSD's are trash, after some beating, it'll eventually turn back to an open; all that work for really nothing.

Putting a vlsd in a different pumpkin is a bitch because of the shims and getting it to line up and work properly without severely shortening its lifespan.

That's what I was told while deciding vlsd vs welded for myself
It was explained in greater detail to me but that's all I kept in my memory bank

You would need the output shafts, actual vlsd AND the final drive from a 95/96 j30 diff. The Z32 diff output flanges would not fit properly due to the bolt pattern that connect the diff to the axles. I would recommend taking both diffs to a transmission shop and let them handle it. They'll be able to line it up correctly. If your confident enough, the S14 FSM will walk you through it.

I love the way people ignore the actual question and just voice their opinion with absolutely no valuable information in response.

I would not recommend welding the diff if the cars your daily. In my opinion, i would only weld the diff if my car strictly for track/drift use. You can always get a aftermarket vlsd, you wouldnt need to get anything aligned, youd be able to use the open diff output shafts and final drive. Its a bit more expensive but would save lots of time and headaches.

i used a j30 vlsd on my s13 without any mods except replacing the backplate with the s13 diff backplate.just make sure to get the j30 diff with the 6 bolt flanges instead of 5 and your set

The problem with just slapping a j30 diff in there is the abs sensor. It actualy extends the length of the diff which in turn pushes your driveshaft further into the tranny. Then the gaskets if worn even slightly wont seal properly and "may" cause a leak of your tranny fluid. The more worn the gasket, the more probable it is to leak.

The problem with just slapping a j30 diff in there is the abs sensor. It actualy extends the length of the diff which in turn pushes your driveshaft further into the tranny. Then the gaskets if worn even slightly wont seal properly and "may" cause a leak of your tranny fluid. The more worn the gasket, the more probable it is to leak.

thats on s14.it seems as he is going to drop it on a s13 so he should have no problems at all

Back
Top Bottom