valve seals???

NavySlideby

Driver
my car is smoking at idle and under deceleration. its like a light grey smoke. however it is running rich and when i get to full boost it blows dark grey-black smoke. my question is, would running rich cause the deceleration idle smoke? also it kinda sputters slightly when under constant throttle however it doesnt really smoke, and all problems go away under regular acceleration. the only other symptom is kinda hard starts about 25% of the time in that it sometimes has to crank over for 3-4 seconds. please help me!!!!!

I'm having the EXACT same problem under deceleration and at idle, but only for a couple seconds at idle. Doing a leakdown test and checking PCV's tomorrow, and I'm gonna see if I have oil in my charge piping as wellc, maybe it's the turbos. LMK if you figure it out before I do, lol. Which should be easy since I have a Z32 :p

yeah leak down test it.

also if you think you valves are gunked up you can run through some seafoam. btw theres no valve seals, just valve stem seals. If you have carbon build up on the valves or the valve seat the seafoam technique should help you out quite a bit. if you're on stock t25 and you've been dogging it, its probably a oil leak in your turbo. Do a proper leak down test as well as the seafoam and you should nail down your troubles. As far as your hard start, sounds unrelated and will probably just be your starter.

Last edited:
sorry I do assume most people here run sr's, although most of what I said still applies. minus the turbo.

ya i know, i meant valve stem seals lol its no problem, but ya i have a turbo e30, on 10psi.
however i dont have any problem with how its turning over, it turns over fine and fast,
its just like it doesnt want to get going sometimes lol. i dont understand, but ya please
nismotuner, let me know what you find because i am desperate to find the solution to this.
also, not sure if this is related however when the car is cold it WILL NOT go into boost.
it just sounds like im bouncing off a 2-step and kinda shakes and wont accelerate further.
however only when its less than halfway warmed up.....

but my gas mileage is beyond horrible and my car is very slowly losing oil it seems

Last edited:
sounds like you're probably burning oil out of you turbo, hence the white smoke. leak down, seafoam, and also check for boost leaks. easy way to check for boost leaks is to spray brake cleaner near all your lines and you'll be able to track down where it is leaking. The brake cleaner gets sucked into the line and the engine will stumble a bit. easy easy, do this.

+2 on boost leaks, that's where you get the sputtering from on 25% throttle and the horrible gas mileage.. on top of that, 90% of the time, valve stem seals will only leak when the car starts up.. there are exceptions to the rule... rings could be holding good pressure but your oil rings could be shot, hence why you would have compression but burning oil, IF YOUR TURBO IS NOt BLOWN..

idk im pretty confident my turbo is good, i hit full boost at 2300 rpm. but im gonna go have a place do a boost leak test, leakdown test, compression test, and check the turbo on it soon since i dont have the time or place to do my own work :(

but ya i have a turbo e30, on 10psi.

Probably a good tid-bit to throw in there given your avatar and sig.

My SR had very similar symptoms, pre-tune.

What are you doing for engine management?

Stock injectors? What MAF are you running?

What plugs are you running? what are they gapped to? whens the last time you changed them?

FPR? What PSI?

Goodluck dude.

umm, honestly the guy told me that the car was street tuned but i see nothing in the car that he tuned it with so idk, he told me he tuned it with a wideband, but that is stupid because you cant tune with a wideband.....
but it has 32lb injectors, umm im not sure what maf it has but i dont think its stock, and ive got no idea about the plugs. im gonna change the plugs to ngk's if i can, oil has been changed recently. and ive got no idea for fpr. there is like a metal blue circular thing under the hood that says something along the lines of fuel, ill find out exactly what it says tomorrow. the guy i bought it from was not very knowledgable and its killing me, so im gonna try to get all the info i can tomorrow and will update you guys the only problem is my base is a pain in the ass and i cant just go off and work on my car every day, so its kinda pissin me off because i wanna get this problem fixed

Last edited:
gotcha, change the plugs and do all the other 'simple fixes' people posted, then definitely definitely get it tuned by a reputable shop whether this issue is fixed or not. Your setup is only as good as your tune.

Goodluck.

ya im getting tuned by a place in chicago that is notorious for building subarus from the ground up and amazing tunes. its gonna cost me $300 just to get on their damn dyno! lol

Back
Top Bottom