Ueo vs. Hayashi twin drift in Autopolis

xorzero said:
Awesome battle! :bigthumbu how much power is hayashi putting down?

If you go by what is says on the driver profiles in the beginning its 170ps. I also remember seeing or hearing that it has 170ps when Hayashi was here for the D1 USA events.

I just love seeing ae86 twin drifting. Hayashi is a sick driver, hes one of the new guys I really like watching. You should see him in the other vids on YouTube, were he starts drifting around the mid-point of the Irwindale bank. Thats crazy for an under-powered 86.

Some ae86 drivers to look for:
Yoshioka?(1:35)
Ueo (2:43)
Hayashi(4:21) look where he initiates the drift on the bank
Hibino(6:03) crazy like always
[yt]5cqUqO4L6ss[/yt]

Last edited:
I mean, I give credit to hachi drivers for working with such a handicap, but goddamn those hachis are no competition to what else is out there.

rwdrift said:
I mean, I give credit to hachi drivers for working with such a handicap, but goddamn those hachis are no competition to what else is out there.

Well, I would have to strongly disagree. Before I go on to many reasons why, I would like to know why you said that? I might have read it wrong or something. The way it came out was well. . . very negative towards the ae86.

I guess it is negative. But it's true. I used to admire Ueo thinking he was the most amazing driver ever. It's definetly not true. Highly skilled? Without a doubt. If you were to put Ueo and someone else in identical cars, I think he might even have the upper hand with driver's skill.

But from what I've seen recently, no hachi driver has been able to be real competition to most other cars. The way I see it, it's an underdog car in japan because of it's handicap to slide. The fun is in being able to slide a car that's not easy to drift. And it seems true since most D1 drivers have hachi's on the side when they are not driving pro.

I've seen SR powered Hachis and the power makes it a whole different car. But playing the underpowered role is a huge handicap on those cars.

I guess I'm jumping around from point to point, but I have my reasons to believe that hachi's are extremely handicapped, even with all the aftermarket support. Unless the car is pushing real horsepower numbers for a ridiculous power/weight.... there is not much competitiveness.

I mean... look at Irwindale. Granted not the most technical track, but you pointed it out yourself that the best hachi was sideways since the middle of the banking. You see everyone else already fully sideways, with a fair amount of angle already from even before the banking starts!!!

At the Ter-Tech event, the two hachi's that were out there were doing pretty good, but you can tell they were handicapped. The when the blue one (not sure who it was but many props to you) was sliding, as soon as you saw inside the wheel well, every suspension component was anodized something... indicating aftermarket. Yet you could still see him struggling. And it wasnt a difficult course... the cars with power had 2 spots that they could lay the foot down and let the power take over. That course was very beginner / low power oriented.

I mean... I could go on for ever and ever, but if you ever want to have the discussion, we'll see whats up. Mind you, I want a discussion, not stupid like HACHIS OWN BECAUSE THE DRIFT KING LIKES IT! I'll gladly take you up on AIM to see your reasoning.

- Erick

Oh.

+2 points for me -.-'
- Erick
PS: In all seriousness, then hopefully you can share your thoughts on your performance at the WPB event.

his first event....+ bone stock motor, i think he did ok, i got a ride in the car....loved the way it felt....suspension wise....the car has like...t3.....EVERYTHING...well not everything....cusco too lol

I dunno about being uncompetitive. Ueo has been crowned champion in 2002. There have been a couple wins last year from Corollas. Speaking of Irwindale, Ueo won in the first D1 in the USA in August of 2003, against Taniguchi in his 430 whp S15. Corollas can be comptitive, but I do believe that to be consistantly competitive, it is tough to do. I believe that a Corolla can win the D1 championship again.

Now Formula D is another story. Taka Aono is practically the best Corolla driver there, and I don't think he is all that good. I believe he needs to change his wheel and tire set up to be a little more competitive.

Some of the things I have seen from Ueo, Hibino and Yoshioka amaze me. I mean Ueo's entry in the video I posted at Autopolis is amazing. Even if the entry is later than the other cars, it's the agression he puts into it to get the car sliding, and then the switchback is rediculously fast with great angle.

I understand Erick's point of view, because we discuss this a lot, but I will put my foot down and say that Corollas are not uncompetitive.

Ahh finally a dicussion without disrespect or name calling.

Well, where should I start. I find it very hard to believe a car with multiple D1GP victories (most if not all N/A 4AG engines) can be labeled uncompetitive. There are 3 ae86 in the top 15 in D1 points this year(Yoshioka 5th, Ueo 10th and Hayashi 12th). Ueo as we all know won his championship in a N/A ae86. I might be wrong as far I can remember the ae86 has scored atleast one victory since D1 started or close to that mark. You have to see that the ae86 is competitive everywhere that drifting is big(Japan, USA, Maylasia, UK, etc).

A good example and is in that vid is the Maylasian ae86 driver who took out Gittin in the Mustang and did very well, Tengku Djan. In the USA theres an newcomer to D1GP John Rusakoff in the baby blue ae86, who did very well for probably being the most underpowered car there with I believe 160ps. The most notable USA 86 driver is Taka Aono. He is the best USA 86 drifter but there's just something his missing for him to have more of impact like other 86 drivers from Japan mainly, better tires would help him out a lot.

Some will say they spent tons of money to make them competitive. Well, it takes money period to build a competitive race car but not that much in the ae86 case. It reminds me of Gen Terasaki(Blk Levin hatch w/ bronze volks) a very competitive 86 in D1GP in a car that was Terasaski's daily driver at one time and I would consider it more a hardcore street car than full blown race car. When he competed in D1GP for a good amount of time the car had full interior, one racing bucket seat, stock passanger seat, no aftermarket gauges, rear seats taken off, rear carpets taken off, stock oil cooler and radiator and some sound deading material was taken off. Of Course he had nicely built engine and tuned suspension but thats a given.

Now about my performance at the Ter-Tech event. Well, seeing how I only had about 2-3months, if that much of total drifting experiance ever I don't think I did that bad. The other 86 driver had even less time than me. I know you guys hear this a lot but the 86 is not the easiest car to learn how to drive at its limits. Just compare the in-car footage of a highly skilled ae86 driver and just about any other driver in a different make car in D1. It's a car that rewards proper technique and punishes any little mistake, I'm still in the beginning stages of drifting so I make more mistakes that I get punished for :eek: . I would say the major problems I had were nerves because it was my first event and my initiation points were off because of very low power(stock engine) and just plain my fault. I don't have the luxury of power/torque and very early entry. I have to use momentum and proper suspension tuning to drift efficiently(thats why I had the aftermarket suspension). I don't consider it a handicap, just a different stlye/technique. I always joked around with people that power is the handicap, many people start to rely on it and not proper technique that can make your driving skill improve.

Now Hayashi(red 86 that started drifting from the middle of the bank) was not the best 86 of that weekend that honor would go to. . .who else but Ueo(this comes from where he placed at both D1 USA events). If you see his entry to Hayashi's its way later. Why? Like I said before momentum is the key. I would say the most important thing in drifting Irwindale is coming off the bank going towards the infield and thats were the 86 shines and becomes very competitive to the higher Hp cars. Its just a different technique. If the car was uncompetitve no one would bother using them.

The reason you might not see many high level 86 drifters is because of small about of cars made compared to the S-chassis cars, RX-7s and others. Whoever honestly has a passion for racing/drifting the ae86 is in it to become an overall great driver and of course win, not a smoke machine, high power monster. It's a drivers car not much flash but when you drive one it's a very fun car to drive.Takes a little longer to perfect than most but the payoff is well worth it. Ok I'm done, my fingers hurt :D

PS HACHIS OWN BECAUSE THE DRIFT KING LIKES IT! :laugh: :bigthumbu

i feel the same, the cars are very hard to be competitive in. thats why people love it. i mean when you played dodgeball i bet you want all the big kids on your side? lol just messing with you but yea, its all about being that guy with the slow car, beating cars 3x and higher power than you. what other sport has that?

The Redline 03 said:
In the USA theres an newcomer to D1GP John Rusakoff in the baby blue ae86, who did very well for probably being the most underpowered car there with I believe 160ps.

he was in nevada with me. he went from amatuer, to FD, to D1GP in like a month. Dude is SERIOUS in that 86. Same thing happened with Justin Pawlak in a green FC who went to the ProAms. Cali drivers.... go figure, they get DDays all the time at awesome venues with other highly skilled drivers to play with. Rusakoff is definetly going to turn heads.

boxmod said:
he was in nevada with me. he went from amatuer, to FD, to D1GP in like a month. Dude is SERIOUS in that 86. Same thing happened with Justin Pawlak in a green FC who went to the ProAms. Cali drivers.... go figure, they get DDays all the time at awesome venues with other highly skilled drivers to play with. Rusakoff is definetly going to turn heads.

The guy's forum name in Club4ag is Mr.John, not only is he a very good driver but very knoweldgeable and loves to help out other 86ers. He's help me out a few times. I do wish him the best. I don't mind the help (mostly from Cali guys) seeing how I don't see many people really drifting the 86 down here who I can ask questions about the 4ag engine and ae86. The more knowelge I can get is never bad :bigthumbu .

But your right they drift a lot at DDays with high level drivers. I guess we'll just have to find different ways to improve and become competitive. I'm sure if we keep selling out events like Ter-Tech more will come up and the higher skilled drivers we have here like you, Boxmod and others will get to the higher ranks quicker. I would love to cheer on some more high level Florida drivers and hopefully be one of them one day in the ae86 :D .

We could argue this back and forth with bible-long posts and I really dont feel like doing so.... I can say that some points you bring up are fair game and can be discussed. Many other points are what lead me to believe that the hachi is a bad competitive car (which you somehow use it as a positive thing).

And also... after you said Taka Aono is the best ae86 driver in the US, you lost your credibility. I'm sorry, I've seen him in person drifting..... I've seen videos, and I've seen him flip two hachis. No, he sucks. No, I dont care what you say, he sucks. Maybe better than me? Probably, but for what professional drifting is, he sucks.

Oh, before you even try to reply to that, he sucks. Sorry, it's more of a fact than opinion.

Your last paragraph holds true and I mentioned part of it. The beauty of the hachi is it's handicap. That's why every D1 driver has one in his garage. Taniguchi, Imamura, etc all have hachis. The problem is you say their preference is the reason why the car is so great. The way I see it, it's fun when you're challenged to slide.... but by no mean does it mean just because they chose it that it would be a competitive car.

I'll gladly have this conversation in person, because I dont feel like typing that much.

- Erick

Back
Top Bottom