Tyler Gets the Win? [SNAPSHOT]

Wrecked Magazine

TylerMcQuarrie.ChelseaDeNofa-620x345.jpg

I know that a picture only tells 1,000 words but it sure seems to represent what our whole staff saw and left us scratching our heads at Wall Speedway this evening. Tyler McQuarire crashed right into the wall and then Chelsea (since he was drifting and following line and did I mention proximity) wound up in the wall because he had no where to go and then hit Tyler (who clearly has done it all wrong as seen here) but was allowed to move on.

Once we can pull the Live Stream video feed along with some amateur video men who hopefully have captured it but this once again shows that car to car contact continues to baffle Formula Drift and they need to create some more hard and fast rules on these subjects. Doesn’t this just feel like Chris Forsberg vs. Calvin Wan 2009 all over again? How you could ever put Chelsea at fault for hitting a car that has crashed on course is beyond me.

Nice screen grab KeepDriftingFun and we will have more on this subject on Monday but please chime in your thoughts on the whole event.

More...

Formula Drift has nothing but fucking bias judges and it's complete bullshit the calls they make . tyler mcquarrie caused the crash but yet they still give him the win ? Chelsea Denofa should of had that win not tyler mcquarrie... Formula Drift is full of SHIT!!!

Hmm they didn't really announce a winner but they said Chelsea is unable to advance so I guess instead of knocking them both out they let Tyler move on

Basically the judges couldn't blame either driver for the crash so what they decided to do was come to a decision based on the first run. Since Chelsea made a major correction in the first run, they gave the win to Tyler. Knowing that I can understand why they came to that conclusion but it doesn't change the fact that Tyler caused the crash between the two. Although looking back at the footage it looked like Chelsea was going to hit the wall with or without Tyler being in the way.

Last edited:
[ame="http://vimeo.com/44594832"]How I almost died at Formula D on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the judges couldn't blame either driver for the crash so what they decided to do was come to a decision based on the first run. Since Chelsea made a major correction in the first run, they gave the win to Tyler. Knowing that I can understand why they came to that conclusion but it doesn't change the fact that Tyler caused the crash between the two. Although looking back at the footage it looked like Chelsea was going to hit the wall with or without Tyler being in the way.

It's the chase drivers job to mimic every move of the lead car. Chelsea followed Tyler's line. Tyler wasn't in the way, he lead him into the wall.

The judges claim that they didn't see what happened. I can understand that. I mean, in soccer, if the referee didn't see it, it didn't happen. Plain and simple, he who smelt it, dealt it.

FD is gay, their judges are GAY. period. i can see what u mean bladder but they clearly said over the intercom that if chelsea didnt run into tyler that tyler would be able to continue the rest of the run. bullshit!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/44612114"]Chelsea DeNofa & Tyler Mcquarrie Go Pro Crash Raw - FD New Jersey on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/44609903"]Chelsea Denofa and Tyler McQuarrie crash. on Vimeo[/ame]

This is so disappointing. I hope Formula does something about the judging, because this looks so bad for the sport. If they at least said, "Well, Chelsea made a mistake on his first run, and on the second run we are going to call even since they both wrecked ON THEIR OWN," I would have accepted the call a little better. I still find Tyler MacQuarrie the one at fault in this whole thing, but don't blame Chelsea for a wreck he did not cause at all.

How is Chelsea being blames for this?
251915_10150995290286118_1117574658_n.jpg

lol ^ chelsea shaking his head like "fucking noobs"

and "FUCK!" was my initial reaction too.hahaha

[ame="http://vimeo.com/44609903"]Chelsea Denofa and Tyler McQuarrie crash. on Vimeo[/ame]

He is shaking his head like WHATDAFUCKJUSHAPPEND.

He wrecked on his own, but he gets on his breaks when he sees mcquarrie panic. He had no where to go. If you pretend like the camaro wasnt in the picture, before the panic happens, you can totally see that line happening for chelsea without crashing.

He followed like a chase driver should, then the camaro hopped on his OH sHit pedals and chelsea got swallowed. He had nowhere to go.

With that being said, Chelsea should have advanced, even if he was DQ'd the next round for not being able to compete. Fuck the first run. The second one was ruined by a bitch in a camaro.

Does anyone know what happened to the car? You can see the front end got jacked up.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Also, the redneck motherfuckers cheering in the stands:

This isn't fucking NASCAR, go the fuck home.

That was totally Tylers fault. Tyler tried to come in like a bad ass and run the wall where as Chelsea came in shallow and looked as if he was going to start riding the wall where Tyler crashed, but Tyler crashed and Chelsea saw it in advance but not in enough time to change his line. I think in the judges eyes Tyler put on a better show and got the advance, even though thats total bullshit.

It's the chase drivers job to mimic every move of the lead car.

True but that doesn't happen every time.

Chelsea followed Tyler's line. Tyler wasn't in the way, he lead him into the wall.

If Chelsea was in front and took the same line as he did in his chase run, then he would've crashed or made some type of contact with the wall. That was the point I was trying to make in my original statement.

chelsea seems a man of chase, door hunter status. he followed tyler to be competitive. he wouldn't have taken that line leading.

i think that's what people are they saying about chelsea following tyler's bad line.

Tyler and Chelsea both replied to the post on Wrecked.

Tyler's response:

I think I should jump in here…. Not to changed people’s minds on the issue but to fill you guys in on what I was told by FD and how everything went down during our battle

First off, I think every FD driver has a run they would want to have back, and this one is one for me! I’m glad Chelsea was ok but super bummed about his car!

In the drivers meeting the judges told us that our initiation needed to be just like our qualifying run with the technique we use and the speed. I don’t think Chelsea was playing games but our run up to the initiation was unusually slow and his initiation looked a little different. Not sure if he had a problem with the car but it was diferent After that run, EOS who was spotting for me said the judges were talking about it already. For my lead run, I knew Chelsea has had some really good follow runs this year so my plan was to not hold anything back to try and prevent him from getting proximity on me. I initiated a little early and the car floated up the bank. The rear got in first then the front climbed the wall followed by Chelsea hitting me from behind. That’s all I knew at that point. I drove the car back to our pits thinking we were done. EOS came over the radio and said the judges were reviewing our battle. I went and apologized to his crew first. I found Chelsea and apologized to him too, But he told me to not worry about it. He said it was not my fault that he crashed…. He said he was going in to the bank to fast and if I didn’t hit the wall he would have either way. That’s how the judges saw it too, which is why they went back to the first run for their decision. This is not the first time this has happened. DMac vs Chris last year at Irwindale. Dmac made a mistake on their first run. Chris crashes the Dmac crashes on their second run so they went back to the first run for the decision and Chris won.

Either way, I’m sure a lot of people will still have the same opinion on this run, which I cant blame you for that. I just wanted people to know my side of it and that Chelsea even told me it wasn’t my fault that he crashed. I felt bad for Chelsea yesterday and feel even worse today. I hate seeing any driver lose a car!

Again, I’m not trying to change people’s view on this but just trying to fill you guys in on what I was told and saw. Let the comments continue

Chelsea's response:

Wowzers! haha. Let me start by saying I am glad Tyler and I both are walking and traveling home today. It really was a gnarly crash. Ill give you my honest play by play from my point of view.

Lets start with the lead run.

I had been doing the hand brake entries all weekend, and in my run I did the same late hand brake entry that put my rear end on the wall. During this run, my initiation was not aggressive enough to get the car at comfortable angle, so I had to steer the car to that point. Which I DO consider a bobble (similar to Daigo in his follow run against Chris). From all of my footage, this caused Tyler to have a bobble as well. The rest of my run was at large angle, on line, and lots of smoke and speed, keeping a gap between Tyler and I while he did hit the transition clip in front of the crowd, and lifted the rear tire onto the bank.

Following run of DOOM!

Tyler had been doing a super gangster entry all weekend, I was actually jealous of it! But I also knew it would be tough to follow. I went into the run knowing I would have to leave a gap and close it by the 2nd outer clip by the stands. My speeds from the outer clip to the inside bank were 7+ mph faster then Tylers, So that was my strategy.

We leave the line, I leave the gap. He enters with a low line, So a stay slightly shallower so that I am able to close the gap. As I was reeling him in I noticed that there was a change in his angle, I added angle and followed his line for another 100ft. I then started pedaling the throttle to lower my speed because I could see that he was going towards the wall. At this point I had to make a decision. I was either going to go directly into Tyler with my side of the car on throttle, or put the (already been smashed 4 times) rear of my car into the wall with large angle and throttle and try not to smash my front. I chose the wall. I would like to say my decision was based in favor of a lesser injury for the both of us and my car, but it happened so fast that I can only admit choosing the wall instead of the Camaro.

I understand that judging is a very hard job and would not want to be in any of their shoes.

Here is my slight issue. Please understand that I am just stating my point of view and understand the decision has been made.

If my bobble in the lead run (which I completed) was the reason Tyler who hit the transition clip and put a tire off course took the win, Then how was his wall hit (not finishing the run) not equal or more of a bobble.

I have learned a lot from this accident, but I will continue to push the envelope and drive as aggressive as possible. That is a promise! I am glad Tyler and I can keep this website true to its name!

Back
Top Bottom