Tranny whirr

z_three_two

Tempus edax rerum
Driver
Its whirring like crazy through second onward, more noticable when I depress the accel 1/2"

any ideas? it smells bad too, maybe trans fluid...

id say ad more fluid, gears are getting too hot because of not enough fluid and burning the excess oil perhaps...

be careful because if it is the fluid your gears can actually weld together

My tranny was definately fucked tho, i took the car to tranny shop and i wasnt low on fluid. The problem occured after a very spirited drive down from a Palm beach raceway one sunday. Im sure i probably overheated the tranny and messed it up

^^ if your tranny is only quiet in 4th then your idler bearings took a shit. If noisy in all gears check fluid level and look for leaks.

^what he said cuz my dads tranny does the same shit n after I put a new clutch I switched the bearing n the noise when a way

Pull the drain plug on the transmission and dump the fluid out. Do you see metal fragments? Replace the fluid to the correct level.

It's almost impossible to diagnose on the internet, but you have to work out if it is your TOB, your transmission, or something else.

Yea the tranny had fluid. when i changed it u could see silver swirl of metal shavings in the old fluid. I ended up swapping for another tranny with few miles, and keeping the old one as a spare

Just a small update just in case anyone searches [doubt it..].

Got the transmission and clutch replaced; clutch was gone [waaay gone], but the whine is still there. I think it's my differential making the whining under load. Similar to this video:

so now I have a backup tranny, woo

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock bushings? It could be bad bushings. A way you can test and see if its the bushings, get the car up to about 15mph, in 2nd gear and tap the accelerator repeatedly almost making it look as if the car is jerking around back and forth. If you hear rough clunking then you have bad bushings.

I dont thing that would cause whinning from the diff but it wouldnt hurt to change that way you also check and see if you have shavings.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

If the diff checks out fine, the only other thing i can think of is maybe the drive shaft support, the bearing may be bad. To be honest though, ive never really hear of one going bad.

Back
Top Bottom