Tranny rear seal or driveshaft too short?

JOnJOn

Driver
Topic pretty much says it... Tranny started acting a little rough in the lower gears. Noticed a leak at the aft side of the tranny and am not sure if it's the seal or the driveshaft being too short. I just dropped a s13 blacktop in my '95 240sx w/ABS. Driveshaft is the OEM one still...
a6890b53-ee81-1f75.jpg
a6890b53-ee91-7484.jpg

Well I don't know a lot about s14s but if the shaft is to short you could always use a j30 dif which is an inch longer than your stock dif...

Ya think the J30 diff is an upgrade for the non ABS diff which wouldn't apply to me :/ Thanks for input tho!

Just a random thought, what motor mounts are you using, were they installed correctly I believe they can be easily installed backwards and that might be enough to make up for that gap. You would have also had to have installed the tranny mount wrong too. Which if memory serves me correctly I think that's possible as well. Id check that first.

Also as for your leak did you change that seal when you did the swap? If not I'd recommend you do so it stops your leaking problem.

its NOT too short...its most likely the seal. original driveshaft and diff? J30 is the same as an ABS diff btw.

Just a random thought, what motor mounts are you using, were they installed correctly I believe they can be easily installed backwards and that might be enough to make up for that gap. You would have also had to have installed the tranny mount wrong too. Which if memory serves me correctly I think that's possible as well. Id check that first.

Also as for your leak did you change that seal when you did the swap? If not I'd recommend you do so it stops your leaking problem.

Thanks for the reply... The motor mounts are Nismo and installed them the same way they came off. Also didn't touch the aftermarket tranny mount. As for the rear seal on the tranny, I did not change it but will for sure now... Thanks!

its NOT too short...its most likely the seal. original driveshaft and diff? J30 is the same as an ABS diff btw.

Yes original shaft and diff... Know some trannys have a metal cuff on the rear side of the tranny so didn't know if this was a normal gap.

Back
Top Bottom