Toyota issues huge recall over accelerator risk (Hey it's a Toyota)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The 911 call was from a frantic passenger, trapped with family members in a runaway vehicle barreling down a California highway with a stuck accelerator and no brakes.

The call ended with someone telling people in the car to hold on and pray, followed by a woman's scream.

The high-speed crash near San Diego in August, involving an out-of-control Lexus ES 350 that killed four members of a family, led Toyota Motor Corp. on Tuesday to issue its largest-ever U.S. recall, involving 3.8 million vehicles.

The recall is intended to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash.

Toyota and the government warned owners Tuesday to remove the mats from their vehicles until the Japanese automaker could find a way to fix the potential safety hazard. The recall will involve popular models such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota said it was still working with officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find a remedy and said owners could be notified about the recall as early as next week. Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said until the company finds a fix, owners should simply take out the removable floor mat on the driver's side and not replace it.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," Miller said.

The recall will affect 2007-10 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-10 Toyota Avalon, 2004-09 Toyota Prius, 2005-10 Toyota Tacoma, 2007-10 Toyota Tundra, 2007-10 Lexus ES 350 and 2006-10 Lexus IS 250 and IS 350 vehicles

Toyota's previously largest U.S. recall was about 900,000 vehicles in 2005 to fix a steering issue. The company declined to say how many complaints it had received about the accelerator issue.

NHTSA said it had received reports of 102 incidents in which the accelerator may have become stuck on the Toyota vehicles involved. It was unclear how many led to crashes.

"This is an urgent matter," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

Toyota warned owners that if they think their vehicle is accelerating out of control, they should check to see whether their floor mat is under the pedal. If a driver can't remove the floor mat, Toyota advises drivers to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows and then try to put it into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.

For vehicles with engine start/stop buttons, Toyota said the engine can be shut off by holding the button down for three seconds.

In the August incident in Santee, Calif., the fiery crash of the Lexus killed California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor, 45, and three family members on State Route 125. The vehicle was traveling at more than 120 mph when it launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames.

NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the final report had not yet been submitted in the California case.

"We don't know what the actual cause was of that accident other than preliminary reports that have been published so it's impossible for us to comment on that particular incident," Hanson said.

In mid-September, Toyota ordered 1,400 Toyota and Lexus dealers nationwide to ensure that each new, used and loaner vehicle had the proper floor mats and that the mats were properly secured.

In September 2007, Toyota recalled an accessory all-weather floor mat sold for use in some 2007 and 2008 model year Lexus ES 350 and Toyota Camry vehicles because of similar problems.

For more information, consumers can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's hot line at (888) 327-4236, Toyota at (800) 331-4331 or Lexus at (800) 255-3987.

i just saw this on the news they cant even sell cars on the lot that sucks for the dealers

nissan > toyota

also this incident proves my theory right that only idiots buy toyota!! a non-idiot woulda just put the car in nuetral or turned it off completely.

gj toyota ownerz!!!!

Last edited:
Toyota is so determined to ensure their cars win races that they have set them up to speed up on their own while you pleasantly drive down the road. This can only end in funny fatalities.

Not for the families though. Sorry about your losses.

the media makes it sound like toyota is doing nothing but they are. they have already came up with a fix and are sending out letters to the owners. the problem isnt the pedal at all. its the people. when they dont install the mat correctly with the factory clips or stack multiple mats, it causes the pedal to get stuck.

Toyota hasn't been worth a damn since the early 90s. My 25 year old Supra will more than likely outlast every new car made past the millenium.

p.s Dan, I'm not an idiot and I own a Toyota, but thanks for the sentiment.

Toyota hasn't been worth a damn since the early 90s. My 25 year old Supra will more than likely outlast every new car made past the millenium.

p.s Dan, I'm not an idiot and I own a Toyota, but thanks for the sentiment.

who the fuck is tanya and why isn't there a new members thread that has been completely annihilated yet?

who the fuck is tanya and why isn't there a new members thread that has been completely annihilated yet?

:ugh: I joined last May, around that time is where the intro thread would be. And there was no "annihilation". Wasn't aware this forum had so many Toyota haters. :0hnoes:

the annihilation wouldnt be cause u drive a yota .. it would be cause you have a vagina.

Come on BEN I'm waiting for your post!!! I know you are reading this and are saying to yourself (" Oh damn it " :( ) lol

WOOOOO Toyota!!!!

Last edited:
shit better remove the mats off my prius...
mats? thats the main problem. there is no actual problem with the pedals. its like i said earlier. if the mats are not installed correct with the oem toyota clips, it causes the mat to move up and the the pedal grabs it and gets stuck. the other issue are people who insist on putting three floor mats in. and due to the incompentcy of people toyota is cutting 3/4 of the pedal off. i post a pic of the repair later

ok so here is the latest update. the repair mentioned above is currently going on the ES350's. IS Models will take place in three months. The repair also includes installation on new software that cuts the throttle and brings down the rpms to idle when the computer sees 3/4 or more throttle and enough brake pressure to turn on the brake lights. As for the latest recalled models its unclear if they will be cutting the pedals or just replacing the entire assembly. But the dealers arent allowed to sell them, but its unclear if customers can take there car in for trade.

i couldnt get a good picture but this is what they are currently doing with the es350. and yes its not a symetrical cut. that just to do the design on the back of the pedal
l_67b33d30dc3f46fe974346f0dd83c3da.jpg

ok guys this is straight from toyota:
Quality Compliance
January 26, 2010
To: All Toyota Dealers
Stop Delivery of Vehicles Involved in CTS Accelerator Pedal Safety Recall
******URGENT******
As communicated on January 21, 2010, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety
Recall on certain accelerator pedal assemblies manufactured by CTS. This action is separate from the on-going
recall of approximately 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect
or out of place accessory floor mats.
A Stop delivery will be implemented on all involved vehicles in dealership inventory.
Immediate Action
 As required by Federal law, dealers are not to deliver any new vehicle acquired in their inventory, which is
involved in this safety recall, until the necessary remedy has been performed. Toyota is currently developing
the remedy and will provide additional information as it becomes available.
 Please utilize the attached instructions to determine if a vehicle is equipped with a subject CTS accelerator
pedal.
 To assist dealerships, the TIS system is being loaded with new vehicles that we believe to be in dealership
inventory. Additional information will be posted on TIS shortly.
Involved Vehicles
 Please verify vehicle involvement prior to customer delivery on all potentially involved vehicles.
 Only vehicles manufactured in North America are involved. Vehicles manufactured in North America can be
identified by the first three characters (WMI) in the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
 Accelerator pedals installed on Camry vehicles manufactured in North America will need to be inspected to
determine if they are CTS pedals.
Model Model Year WMI Pedal type Remarks
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,
Avalon 4T1
2009, 2010
Matrix 2009, 2010 2T1 Hold vehicles in dealership
CTS
inventory
2007, 2008 5TB
Tundra
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 5TF
Sequoia 2008, 2009, 2010 5TD