Thoughts on RB20DET?

Fairlady280z

Spectator
hey guy well im getting real tired and pissed of looking for the 25 yr old turbo motor that I want to swap into my Z so I started looking at other motors i can afford (maybe) What do you guys think of the RB20DET? about 210hp stock. Is there a good aftermarket? does it make power? is it reliable? Thanks

Waste of Money. A few hundred more and you can get a RB25. IMO Both motors SUCK. 26 is where it is at!

z4k said:
Waste of Money. A few hundred more and you can get a RB25. IMO Both motors SUCK. 26 is where it is at!

dam! well actually the rb25 is like a grand more (rb20 swap is only $1000bucks) and the rb26 would require a tranny swap which I rather not have to do.

Aerok180 said:
RB20 is a inline 6 2.0 litre engine, why deal with all that weight....either sr20 or RB25 or RB26

its super cheap :bigthumbu if I go SR i want at least a S14 black top and thats as much as a RB25. hmmm so maybe i should save up...even more. Another thing thats bothering me is Ive never seen anyone with a SR or RB swapped 280ZX, kinda worried about doing something that no ones done.

Fairlady280z said:
its super cheap :bigthumbu if I go SR i want at least a S14 black top and thats as much as a RB25. hmmm so maybe i should save up...even more.

RB25 brother, RB25......its sex and love like my girl said "RWD REA"
:bigthumbu

Fairlady280z said:
its super cheap :bigthumbu if I go SR i want at least a S14 black top and thats as much as a RB25. hmmm so maybe i should save up...even more. Another thing thats bothering me is Ive never seen anyone with a SR or RB swapped 280ZX, kinda worried about doing something that no ones done.

If they can do it in a 240Z Im sure that a 280 would be no prob.. Check www.ZParts.com (iirc).

Aerok180 said:

RB25 brother, RB25......its sex and love like my girl said "RWD REA"
:bigthumbu

RB25s are good until you want to make power. Then they are just as delicate as KA-Ts. Weak Lands

well i will have to agree with zak in the fact that if you do go rb your better off with a 25. i know that the 26 has all the hype and it is built proof but it's alot of money to get the 25 tranny.

i don't know what your power goal is. But rb25's can hold 500hp very nicely :D .

if you do go with a 25 get an s2 motor they are alot newer and have steel fins on the turbo. this will allow you to boost more then older years, S1's have ceramic fins 12psi max before they go to crap. also if you can get one from an r34 that would be the best it wouldn't have the whole crank collar issue <link.

what ever you pick they should all fit and bolt in just fine. good luck :bigthumbu

RB20 is a waste. With nominally more money and the same amount of work you can go RB25. If you want it to be reliable, just get a good front mount and manual boost controller.

rb25 ftw!! the rb20`s dont have alot off aftermarket plus its gonna be a bitch to find parts for that thing its like the ca18`s parts are geting harder to find..

Juan Henao said:
its a ok motor but old as shit and cant put down enough power
if ur going 2.0 go SR20.

most red top sr20's are just as old as rb20's.. and what do you mean cant put down enough power? rb20's can put down just as much power if not more thanan sr20. also they both are 2.0's but rb20s displace the power better 6cl over 4cl.

now i will give you this their is not alot of support in aftermarket part's for rb's in general.

Back
Top Bottom