Think about this before your next race

z4k

Super Mod
Driver
index.php

Manuel Hernandez reacts after his car and other impounded vehicles were crushed at the Ecology Auto Parts in Rialto, Calif., Wednesday, June 20, 2007, as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California. Six vehicles were destroyed on Wednesday at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramps up enforcement this summer after illegal street racing is suspected or responsible for 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

That's beyond fucked up.

CA is garbage, instead of promoting doing those things at a safe and legal place, they ban it from tracks (i.e. drifting in NorCal) and then they crush the ones that take it to the streets. Whoopdedoo.

30664144.jpg

Car culture meets car crusher as squeeze put on street racing
Six vehicles were destroyed at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramped up enforcement against illegal street racing.
From the Associated Press
9:25 PM PDT, June 20, 2007

The two teens didn't know each other but they shared a common grief standing near each other under the sweltering sun Wednesday. They both watched helplessly as the cars they had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed and turned into metal pancakes as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said a visibly upset Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Six vehicles were destroyed at an auto graveyard as local law enforcement ramped up enforcement against illegal street racing, which is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets ideal for racing. Nearly 1,000 people have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. That includes spectators as well as drivers.

Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Although police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, they are well aware the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars -- usually Hondas or Acuras -- are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 to make improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police -- by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties -- on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars -- Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed accused the police of auto profiling. They said they target only Hondas and Acuras, hoping to find something. Maldonado said he's driven a 1989 Toyota Supra but never been stopped.

They also believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-carcrush21jun21,0,6329450.story?coll=la-home-center

"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari."

lol wow....

papasmurf240 said:
"Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari."

lol wow....
hahahahahahaha, sounds like a fishing story

yea, last time I went to the keys, I met a guy named Roger from Cali. He says that when they catch you street racing, not only do you get a fat ass ticket, they destroy your car. That's beyond fucked up.

i would kill if the cops crushed me car.. id steal their squad car and run it into a wall.. and then cry for my car!!

Crushing cars is unconstitutional, the whole cruel and unusual punishment thing. Crushing the cars doesn't fit the crime. I'm thinkin class action lawsuit would be a good idea.

This wont last long, they are just trying to scare the people who street race. Anyways what the state legislatures consider street racing cannot be determined by the way your car appears, so your car is not gonna get crushed because its looks like a street racing car. One day some rich kids son is gonna get his car crushed and all hell is gonna break lose. There just trying to find someone to blame since its the daily commuters that suck at driving and not us who have experience behind the wheel besides going 70 mph to work, well most of us :cough: :cough: RICERS. I have seen many and I mean many people who blame street racing for high speed crashes, but yet when you go look at statistics there almost all D.U.I's or D.W.I's. For the most part I don't agree with street racing but as we all know it will never end and if you are going to street race you should just consider your surroundings. Don't be a ricer and race in the middle of traffic switching lanes and stuff. VOTE SQUEEK FOR PRESIDENT 08'!!! LOL

they have been doing this for a while no?

imo they are just begging you to run...which is what i would do...i mean, if you are going to get arrested and your car crushed, whats the reason NOT to run?

kid turns 16 and get license - $35
kid buys honda - $1600
kid does i/h/e, body kit, 22 rims, paint, tints, system - $4000
kid street races, gets caught, night in slammer - $500 bail
one less dumb rice rocket in the world - priceless

Back
Top Bottom