The Homestead/FARA & The Drifitng Issue in South Florida

The Homestead/FARA & The Drifting Issue in South Florida

Well I really hope I'm posting it in the right section!!!

I have been doing the Homestead/FARA demos for almost a year now, and I can tell you that I love doing these events every time. I get a thrill and enjoy watching the pro-am drivers do their thing. I have notice how these drivers are dedicated to the sport and how much of a rush is to them to go out there and drift.

For that reason I've been trying to set up a competition at the Speedway and other venues. Unfortunally for Homestead the amount of drivers "Consistent" Drivers are enough to get something done in Homestead.

"It's a money issue". Is the truth as much as I love this sport, support it, enjoy it, and help it grow. It's even harder to believe that the amount of drivers that show up to these events and they are only a handful of them. The average event I have held in Homestead is about 7-8 pro-am drivers.

For Homestead and FARA is not enough to put together a competition. Is not that they don’t like drifting and drifting to them is not good enough, it comes down to how can you target a sport when you don't have a huge crowd to follow that sport.

Take NASCAR for example. This a 3rd generation sport that has what they called the "gray crowd". Pretty much the older guys who lived and watch NASCAR or drag racing have their kids and grand kids going to watch or get involved in these events. They are the essences of the future of the sport. They keep it alive.

On the other hand drifting is a very young sport. A very young and small crowd of followers that if not kept going can be lost and drifting will just become a fab/thing of the past.

I try my hardest to push on the sport. I have few cars that can speak for themselves about the sport. I want this to grow. But I need your help. I want to hear what you think is wrong with the sport and how to make it better. This is a serious topic and only serious answers are going to be taken in consideration. They are many factors in which the sport is being affected by that's preventing it form growing. I know the economy is bad and I know people/drivers in Florida can't keep their cars running for no more than two events. I have seen it, I have followed these same drivers and kept updating their status in my head and I have come up with a common denominator. But before I speak my mind I want to hear it form you the drifting spectator, the drifting fanatic, the drifting driver, and the most important guys on this forum the drifting organizers’.

Please make me understand and let's help each other and make the sport grow. Make the sport something that in years we can look back and say it was worth it and drifting is here to stay.

Please Discuss

Moe

Last edited:
Fara won't take drifting serious if you tell them you have 10 drifters and 2 show up!! Also being on a pedestal and choosing who decides to slide cause im cool with them doesn't help either!!

all i can say is better preparation with guarrantees is all you need...i dont know if you'll get what you want tho.

abe, there is no pedestal here. the drivers are chosen by the organizers standards...and the organizer is moe.

Last edited:
Fara won't take drifting serious if you tell them you have 10 drifters and 2 show up!! Also being on a pedestal and choosing who decides to slide cause im cool with them doesn't help either!!

Anybody that I should consider besides the "I'm cool with them list". In case you didn't know I'm cool with everybody on here... wether they hate me, dislike me, like me, or envy me, I treat people the same. I go out of my way for people that are worth it to me and have a talent.. Anybody on here can vouch

all i can say is better preparation with guarrantees is all you need...i dont know if you'll get what you want tho.

abe, there is no pedestal here. the drivers are chosen by the organizers standards...and the organizer is moe.

Thank you for your opinion

Last edited:
Florida needs more talent.

We have some great drivers, but we need ALL of them to show up at the same time and place, which will never happen...

So really we need about 5-10x the amount of drivers locally at the pro am level, that way a consistent number of them will be in/out of commission, or won't have scheduling conflicts in order to have consistent real deal events.

Plus our greatest drivers need to stay in FL, but they can't if they want a drifting 'career'.

We need real tracks.

More seat time for cheap for the lower level drivers to progress.

Drifting in FL is Sleepy as Fuck. That is the root of our problem.

I do believe drifting is here to stay, it will have its hiccups for sure. But there are way too many people willing to completely turn their life upside down for the sport for it to die. IMO.

I have never driven homestead and don't think I'm ready to drive homestead. But you have to look at drifting as a sport and even more from your standpoint a buisness. In order to get people to come buy your product you have to advertise. As for drifting if you want spectators you need advertisement. I get what your saying for the whole drivers can't keep their cars together for more than two events. I mean countyline mini comp was my last event and I drove hard as hell and now I need a new clutch and tranny because of just that lol. You have to pay to play. Another thing is I think there isn't enough exposure. A lot of people are just in it for themselves. We need more groups as in teams. Also it would be cool if wrecked or one of those types of media groups came down and saw what was going on. We need more videos. Look at risky devil,magician or clubloose. They pretty much put their name out in the limelight of the drifting scene. If that starts to happen and magazines come out to see what's up then people will come out to watch. I thanks you moe and tim and everyone else for doing what you guys do seriously! But I think its time to take it to the next level. As for roly and guy their probably working real hard on putting our local scene on the map with videos and pictures. Also another factor is that you need drivers that can and will put on a show! That's just what I think

Just chiming in to say look at the crowd the Fara road racing draws. Pretty sure no one is watching the racing other than the crew members of the cars that are on the track. I mean, I haven't been there in a while, but that's how it was all the times I have been there.

When my car gets back from its Carribean adventure I wanna come down and drive!

Moe like u said. its all about the money.thats it. always was always will be.if we had money everyone would be driving..EVERYONE

You and me have had this conversation alot of times and it goes back to the samething!! GL with Fara

If money was not an issue, I'd be at every fucking event. Unfortunately, I don't make much money, and I can't find a way to make more money. I have a busted ass Mustang, and I live at an apartment complex. I recently paid 1600 bucks for a tranny job. It's tough when you only make about $1,000 a month and you got shit to pay. I will be out there sliding one day, but I gotta make wise decisions about where the little money I have goes.

Last edited:
I have never driven homestead and don't think I'm ready to drive homestead. But you have to look at drifting as a sport and even more from your standpoint a buisness. In order to get people to come buy your product you have to advertise. As for drifting if you want spectators you need advertisement. I get what your saying for the whole drivers can't keep their cars together for more than two events. I mean countyline mini comp was my last event and I drove hard as hell and now I need a new clutch and tranny because of just that lol. You have to pay to play. Another thing is I think there isn't enough exposure. A lot of people are just in it for themselves. We need more groups as in teams. Also it would be cool if wrecked or one of those types of media groups came down and saw what was going on. We need more videos. Look at risky devil,magician or clubloose. They pretty much put their name out in the limelight of the drifting scene. If that starts to happen and magazines come out to see what's up then people will come out to watch. I thanks you moe and tim and everyone else for doing what you guys do seriously! But I think its time to take it to the next level. As for roly and guy their probably working real hard on putting our local scene on the map with videos and pictures. Also another factor is that you need drivers that can and will put on a show! That's just what I think

I have meat and spoke with guys that run wrecked magazine and D-sport. I don't think they are interested in the "grass roots" events that they don't mean much for the big timers and the scene. I do know that if a competition and other venues creating competitions make it where the driver can see some kind of drive, and if a cash price were to be giving out it might make people want to jump on car and compete.

Florida needs more talent.

We have some great drivers, but we need ALL of them to show up at the same time and place, which will never happen...

So really we need about 5-10x the amount of drivers locally at the pro am level, that way a consistent number of them will be in/out of commission, or won't have scheduling conflicts in order to have consistent real deal events.

Plus our greatest drivers need to stay in FL, but they can't if they want a drifting 'career'.

We need real tracks.

More seat time for cheap for the lower level drivers to progress.

Drifting in FL is Sleepy as Fuck. That is the root of our problem.

I do believe drifting is here to stay, it will have its hiccups for sure. But there are way too many people willing to completely turn their life upside down for the sport for it to die. IMO.

Thank you for the opinion.. Everything will take time and effort it won't be easy trying to make people see how fun drifting really is. A carrer in drifting is posible maybe not in Florida now but hopefully in a near future.

Thanx Again

Moe like u said. its all about the money.thats it. always was always will be.if we had money everyone would be driving..EVERYONE

This is true!!!

You and me have had this conversation alot of times and it goes back to the samething!! GL with Fara

I asked if you knew anybody else that wasen't on my "I'm cool with them list".. Did you forget about the question??? I'm still waiting for an awnser..

Thanx

Just chiming in to say look at the crowd the Fara road racing draws. Pretty sure no one is watching the racing other than the crew members of the cars that are on the track. I mean, I haven't been there in a while, but that's how it was all the times I have been there.

When my car gets back from its Carribean adventure I wanna come down and drive!

This is true.. The FARA road racers may sometimes not get the big crowd that they want. I'am there to sponsor the drift scene. They will most likely want their events to get as packed as they would like the drifting events to be. Focusing on their own events will be their priority, but then again is their track time I'm using so I can't say do much but insist on this competition.

I'm putting a plan together, A "Money" plan. I have to show them numbers based on past events and targed age groups and potential spectators. I need them to see the big picture. I might just get what I want, but I need to make sure that if I go through with this, I have to somewhat test the waters. Making sure all the pros and cons of this are on the table so I don't make it my first and only one.

Thank you and hope to see you outhere!!!

Last edited:
As far as the spectators goes, i think what they want to see is drivers go head to head with judges and a good announcer that knows the cars and knows whats going on. A tournament system with points would make the spectators come out and support their favorite cars and drivers instead of coming out to watch the drivers make runs. that is my opinion.

Like it's been said before..
One of the larger problem for drivers is the money.
It's adds up to a big bill every month even if you're just trying to run skidpad events.

Let's just say I pay for a set of brand new tires, ~$270
Skidpad price to drive, $25
Gas for the day so you're not stranded, $30
Break something, -Insert amount here-

~$300
Multiply this by two if you make it to the two events a month.
(x2 = ~$600) a month just to get a few hours of seat time.

For a full time student, and part time worker. This budget keeps me close to broke most of the time.

The sport is expensive. The economy is slow right now, we all know that.

But when it comes to advertising, the drift scene down here in Florida could definitely use a bit more exposure. Whenever I tell people that we do drifting at Countyline, or that they hold the Drift Demos at FARA more times than not people never had a clue.

Last edited:
ha thats cheap picture truck trailer diesel, tires atleast four new tires 150-250, 100-200 entry fees, 200 travel funds fuel - stay, im sure im forgetting a bunch of shit.

ha thats cheap picture truck trailer diesel, tires atleast four new tires 150-250, 100-200 entry fees, 200 travel funds fuel - stay, im sure im forgetting a bunch of shit.

I was only talking about the money it takes for me to make skidpad events.
For real events I'm sure your estimates are much much higher, which is what I'm getting at.
And yeah you are forgetting a bunch of shit I'm sure, there's a lot of random stuff here and there that always finds themselves grabbing at our wallets.

Florida's drift scene hasn't been around for as long as some of these other States out there where they have an established relationship with track owners and have had awesome events there since drifting started in the United States. Florida will get there eventually but Moe you have to remember right now the economy is shit and most people are struggling to find jobs even at minimum wage especially down here in South Florida which in turn means that the driver's are struggling to get to events, struggling to keep their cars running, struggling to keep their license and after that is all said and done then the driver's that have potential can't slide Homestead because they don't have the money to get their car up to the tech requirements. I am pretty sure Florida just needs time for the events to get better. The Country is in shambles right now and everyone is affected by it.

Drifting is going pretty strong up in NC charlotte area events get locked up weeks in advance.

But yeah drifting in florida is stale as hell right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom