swap question

portion

ok guys

i've been wanting a SR20det for the longest time.. but i'm afraid i bump my head..
firstly i am not doin this myself.. soo its to pay labor as well

. i am looking at 2 shops currently ( reputable) but its a scary thing to spend soo much money
i know all of u know this....
i just want to know how much of u guys swapped and are still to this day reliable and working.... without major problems? Is it worth it?

i'm probbaly gonna get flamed.. but bare wit me .. plz

mine still runs after like 2yrs of being installed and no problems, more car maintance problems then motor problems.. just change your oil every 1500-2000 miles and stay on top of your regular maintance

dont go over 10lbs of boost if you are using it as ur daily and play car also

the installer wont afect the reliabily the motor you buy will y dont u just get some1 on the fourm to help you its always a good learning experience

dan said:
mine still runs after like 2yrs of being installed and no problems, more car maintance problems then motor problems.. just change your oil every 1500-2000 miles and stay on top of your regular maintance

pussy...lol

3 years, hard use daily (at least 50 miles daily), actually drifted event after event, alway in hight boost & on stock turbo; # of problems = 0 (i mean turbo related - I did blow a head gasket after the Atlanta event).

Be smart, change your oil using high quality oil and filters (i always used castrol or mobil full syn with a K&N filter) and buy a good engine.

Last edited:
dan said:

x2

Same thing, 2 years of dailying plus multiple drift events, with no issues motor wise. Maintenance is key

can someone explain y most sr's i have heard of that have problems were mostly rod knock?

is it lack of maintenance or is there a weak point in the engine?

portion said:
can someone explain y most sr's i have heard of that have problems were mostly rod knock?

is it lack of maintenance or is there a weak point in the engine?

There is a weak point - the oiling system on SR's sucks. It was updated with all black top models, but still not great. Its the same reason why everyone is so adamant about having perfect oil pans - one tiny dent in the right place can cause oil starvation. People with SR's do tend to drift and track them which can also cause oil starvation (this is the case with most cars btw) and the only real solution to this problem is a dry sump oiling system - something 99% of us won't do.

is it true that the greddy oilpan prevents it from oil starvation better than the stock while drifting etc?

or is it just that it has cooling looking fins and cast aluminum?

Had mine 3 years boosted 14 daily on the t25, dynoed 390+ on a gt2871r .86 a/r and that was before the built bottom end. Never had any major problems, when i sold my car i sold it as a stock sr20det (put all stock parts back in) did a compression test and was still at 158 on all cylinders. Oh and i never wasted money on synthetic oil. Do the swap yourself ask someone to help you it has to be the easiest swap in the world, direct drop in just need to extend some wires.

A greddy oil pan is much better than stock. With proper maintenance and not beating it every single min you drive it you sold be fine.

And remeber when upgrading tuning is reallly important.

portion said:
is it true that the greddy oilpan prevents it from oil starvation better than the stock while drifting etc?

or is it just that it has cooling looking fins and cast aluminum?

Yes, its baffled and has a larger capacity.

my boy did his by himself, said it was really easy, even the wiring, and it was his first time. took him a couple days but because he has to work

Back
Top Bottom