starts then shuts off wtf

sup all

I havent driven my 96 240sx (KA) since my battery died about 3 weeks ago....didnt have the money at the time for a new battery so i drove my other car..

well i bought a brand new optima red top yesterday and it starts up nice and quick but dies after about 5-8 seconds..everytime i crank it. (this never happened before the battery died)

What i did..
1.another battery just in case---same
2. with a multimeter i get 12 volts at the battery at all times when its started for those 5-8 seconds i get 14 volts at the battery...(so alternator should be good)
3.i did the screwdriver in the spark plug wires and got a spark for all

I pulled the fuel line that comes from the fuel filter and initially got a bunch of fuel coming out immediately when i pulled it...but when i got someone to crank it no fuel comes out.

so i checked the fuel pump fuse...and im trying to see where the fuel pump relay is now....to check that.

could it be that? or can you recomend anything else i should try...

thanks

if its the pump it wont start at all that happen to me on my 05 kia when i changed the batt too..but i have a cutoff switch wich i found by googling it cuz i was about to buy a new pump for no reason ...check to see if maybe your car has one somewhere

change of issue slightly....

well now it just cranks but wont start...

my guess is that post fuel filter there was still some fuel left therefore it was starting and idleing for a few seconds but there is no pressure from the fuel pump (possibly because of either relay or pump itself) therefore it would die.

as i pulled the post fuel filter line a bunch of fuel came out originally but then as i told my girlfriend to crank it nothing.....no fuel.

so my guess is fuel pump or fuel pump relay.....

so my question is now this...i know the relay is in the drivers kick panel by the fuses but there are like 3 relays there....which one.. i can hear/feel one clicking with the ignition on....so should be that one right??? therefore it should be good...

too dark to do anything now but what do yall think thanks alot for responding guys.

change of issue slightly....

well now it just cranks but wont start...

my guess is that post fuel filter there was still some fuel left therefore it was starting and idleing for a few seconds but there is no pressure from the fuel pump (possibly because of either relay or pump itself) therefore it would die.

as i pulled the post fuel filter line a bunch of fuel came out originally but then as i told my girlfriend to crank it nothing.....no fuel.

so my guess is fuel pump or fuel pump relay.....

so my question is now this...i know the relay is in the drivers kick panel by the fuses but there are like 3 relays there....which one.. i can hear/feel one clicking with the ignition on....so should be that one right??? therefore it should be good...

too dark to do anything now but what do yall think thanks alot for responding guys.

no if it clicks dont matter just get three new relays and change them or to check find another relay that has nothing to do with the engine and switch them...or just find out wich one is the fuel relay and just switch one at a time

^dont listen to this kid he dosnt own a 240 chances are its the pump get a new pump and a new fuel filter and you should be good

I had the same problem i changed my pump and filter and my car runs good now

^dont listen to this kid he dosnt own a 240 chances are its the pump get a new pump and a new fuel filter and you should be good

I had the same problem i changed my pump and filter and my car runs good now

your right i dont own a 240 id rather check the relays then having to buy a whole pump and filter ... only reason i said to check relays is cuz he said his batt died and it started after..if it would of been giving you proplems starting befor then yea its would be the pump and filter... ive been working on cars for a bit so i have my share of mechanical work...

Last edited:
actually i wouldnt buy anything lol get a damn multi meter and check or use the ol socket extension trick put one end to your ear and the other to the relay

turn the key u should be able to hear the fuel pump.... if u cant then check the relay.... if none of that works take a multi meter connect to the power wire right at the fuel pump connector in the trunk... if there is power and the fuel pump doesnt work u need a fuel pump... hope this helps gl

duhh to me..^^yeah that makes alot more sense...thanks

i have a multimeter so ill check tomorrow...

i was confused because i always thought when a relay clicked it meant it was functioning...but above they said no.

i dont think i ever hear my fuel pump but then again as far as i know its oem and therefore pretty quiet...

It would be alot easier if i knew exactly which relay is for the fuel pump because it could be one of three in the spot chiltons/FSM says it is located.

Thanks again guys ill check tomorrow and let yall know.... :)

you should be able to hear the pump even stock pump... worst case, have someone turn the key to the on position while you sit in the back near the fuel pump... hopefully you know where the pump is in the trunk.gl

Thanks for everyones help...i found out what it was...no gas.

just kidding it was the fuel pump relay...had an extra laying around and fixed the problem...thanks every1 i owe you 1!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Back
Top Bottom