Spark Plug blew out of head Question

overlord2kx

Spectator
So my friend just got an S13 a couple of weeks ago (Stock KA), and last night while he was driving (Normal, not anything crazy), the spark plug shot out of the head. Not sure exactly why...the previous owner may have cross threaded the plug into the hole or something.

But anyway the question is: Is it safe to re-tap and put a helicoil in? Or does the head need to be replaced? From what I've been reading on other forums, a helicoil should work but Im curious if any of you have had to do this before on a spark plug hole.

iv helicoiled a couple heads on the car and never had a problem. It works just be sure to blow or suck all the metal shavings out of the cylinder.

not to thread jack but since we are already on topic.....is retapping easy to do or should a shop do it for u??? and if u re tapped it would it have to be a bigger thread or could it be the same?

My friend never did it before but he did have someone else who worked at a dealer help him. I mean, If you dont feel comfortable doing it, you should probably have a shop do it. If you end up screwing up, the least you might have to do is remove the head, or worst case scenario you might damage the head and need a new one.

But then again, its not THAT hard, so meh.

not to thread jack but since we are already on topic.....is retapping easy to do or should a shop do it for u??? and if u re tapped it would it have to be a bigger thread or could it be the same?

their really not hard at all, it's basically taping and then threading something into the hole. It will be the same size as the original, if you were tapping only it would be larger but the point of the heli coil is to allow you to put the original size thread back in the hole you stripped.

Back
Top Bottom