Smartcar in America

JDMRPS13

Now that the ever popular European SmartCar is making its American debut this year, I thought I'd kick it off with the facts. This car does not belong here, simply because most Americans don't know how to drive, plus too many of those people drive SUV's. The so-named "SmartCar" actually proves that a cars design CAN be too rigid, so rigid that pretty much anyone in a 65+mph accident would die from internal organs bouncing around because of going from 65+ to 0 in a split second because lack of a crush zone on the small car.

Here's an old video proving it. Its an old video with an older model, but I'm sure it will have very similar results to the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

SmartCar, FTMFL!

charlie a.k.a. chuck said:
yo do know that its been here for a while now right? ive seen probably 2 ridding around
Sorry, I havn't seen any myself. From what I read I was under the impression that they weren't going to be released until January 2008. Regardless, that's a suicide box, especially in Miami.

TeamSRDrifting said:
Repost!!!
If so, my bad, didn't find anything on the subject yet.

JDMRPS13 said:
Now that the ever popular European SmartCar is making its American debut this year, I thought I'd kick it off with the facts. This car does not belong here, simply because most Americans don't know how to drive, plus too many of those people drive SUV's. The so-named "SmartCar" actually proves that a cars design CAN be too rigid, so rigid that pretty much anyone in a 65+mph accident would die from internal organs bouncing around because of going from 65+ to 0 in a split second because lack of a crush zone on the small car.

Here's an old video proving it. Its an old video with an older model, but I'm sure it will have very similar results to the new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

SmartCar, FTMFL!

Don't you think its a little bit oh-so-American to be worried about it? I was just in Europe for 10 weeks and one of the most refreshing things was that you could actually get a coffee without a warning about how you might burn your nutsack if you pour it in your lap.

Yea drivers in America suck ass. In almost 3 months there I saw one car accident, and back in the USA for just 3 hours and I saw 3 crashes. But it's not the SmartCar's fault.

Old Japanese proverb: Fix the PROBLEM, not the blame.

The problem is driver education in the USA, (or lack thereof). The solution isn't holding everyones hand and keeping them from buying what they want. The solution is to educate drivers and gaurantee jail time for drivers involved in accidents with no license.

Will people die in Smart's here in the USA more than anywhere else? Yes most likely, and that's sad, but I will always prefer to live in a world where I can choose what I want and live with the consequences. By not allowing people to endanger themselves we have removed that crucial part of natural selection that in the past tended to make each generation a little wiser than the previous.

Ehhhhh, I'll get off my soapbox now.... :)

Last edited:
I guess you missed the part where they crashed a normal sized car and it was obliterated too. I like how most people believe cars from the 50's where safer due to their large size even though there where no safety standards and hardly any of the cars came with seatbelts.

there is a dealer south of u-pull-it on 441 that has like 10... they are very much for sale in the US

Back
Top Bottom