Shaking steering wheel

Mr. Steef

^Chris Kastner^
Driver
Ok, so my steering wheel shakes around 45mph and it shakes violently when braking from higher than 45mph also if I slow down using the ebrake it doesnt shake but if i use the foot brake if shakes like crazy. My front rotors are brand new and i put them on thinking my old ones were warped. The new rotors didnt solve anything I looked around a bit and saw something about a spring on the steering rack needing adjustment. I also saw something about bad tension rod bushings which im starting to lean more toward it being that. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. Im going to order aftermarket tension rods anyway to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Ok, so my steering wheel shakes around 45mph and it shakes violently when braking from higher than 45mph also if I slow down using the ebrake it doesnt shake but if i use the foot brake if shakes like crazy. My front rotors are brand new and i put them on thinking my old ones were warped. The new rotors didnt solve anything I looked around a bit and saw something about a spring on the steering rack needing adjustment. I also saw something about bad tension rod bushings which im starting to lean more toward it being that. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. Im going to order aftermarket tension rods anyway to see if that fixes it.

have you checked the wheel balance? did you check to see if you have any tread separation? did you also check your tie rod ends? my suggestion would be to start with the easier and more obvious things first.

shake down your front suspension. like, put it on a lift and shake everything in the front end. check ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, control arm mounts, tension rods... that kind of stuff. my old coupe did something similar, turned out to be a loose ball joint.

have you checked the wheel balance? did you check to see if you have any tread separation? did you also check your tie rod ends? my suggestion would be to start with the easier and more obvious things first.

Balance is good
Tires are good
Tie rod ends are about 8-9 months old

i'll check them out though

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

shake down your front suspension. like, put it on a lift and shake everything in the front end. check ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, control arm mounts, tension rods... that kind of stuff. my old coupe did something similar, turned out to be a loose ball joint.

Will do on monday!

tension rods and possibly lose lower control arms if it jerks when u hit the breaks. i got some nice front tension rods if you wantem. ill let ya try them out to see if its the problem if royal palm beach isent to far for ya

I have hub centric rings but im thinking one might be warped being that it has got stuck on the actual hub itself. Im just going to start replacing all the bushings and stuff until it goes away its really pissing me off having to pull the ebrake up a little to slow down lower than 45 so I can use the actual brake

if all mechanical stuff is looking good it maybe a tire out of round
it could b a blown coilover
just make a check list and go down it
ive gone thru damn near every issue w s13s
and that suspesion shake crap is a pain in the ass to track down
lucky i have a lift at work
good luck

My wheel shakes alot too around 50-60+ mph, Im down to steering rack bushings. Ordering them today, if it fixes it Ill let you know. Other than that Id say alignment but I know you got one done not that long ago. Idk man start with bushings like you said.

now the problem is getting worse.

cant find anything loose and the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side rear. Tried re-balancing the tire and no dice. I'm seriously stumped.

Just ordered new oem flca's with brand new ball joints and bushings for cheap!
http://pdm-racing.com/specials/specials.html

and also ordered new aluminum hub centric rings

hoping one of these fixes the problem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom