s14 SR vs s15 SR

sevenways

Spectator
I have a little problem i wanna know whats the difference between the two SR20's. My friend says not to buy a 98 kouki with an s15 sr and tranny, and im wondering why that is

Thanks!

the SR is a peice of shit.

fork out real money and buy a FJ. by the time you go through 5 SR's you'll still be on the same FJ20 you swapped in, their retarded reliable and love abuse. I'm almost tempted to say it's the 2JZ of nissan 4 cylinders, you cannot kill one and if you do it's something you did or the tuner did even then their retarded hard to blow.

The FJ was a race motor but then de-tuned for public use.

Last edited:
I don't see why an s15 sr would be any less reliable than a 14 sr. Some say the s15 tranny is weaker, but if your not going for like 350+ I doubt it will fail

s15 has a dual ball bearing turbo and an extra gear in the transmission. like this guy said^ if you are not looking to make big power (under 400HP), it should be fine

S15 has different coil packs, no ignitor, inconel exhaust divider flange on exhaust side, dual mass setup, different ECU/Harness, and the very shitty AZ6 transmission. Thats it
EDIT: Bigger injectors aswell (480)

Last edited:
I love how people always bash the s15 trans. Yes it is not great at 400 hp or above but it's not like the 5 speed is really that dependable above that anyways

s14 220hp/ s15 250hp drive shaft is shorter bc of 6th gear n speed sensor is in the rear end i think , n the biggest one s15 is 1g or more than s14

sweet%20brown.png

What I'm scared of is that I get the S15 n then finding parts for the engine become a problem. Like for example the extra electronic goods that come with the s15 for variable valve timing etc....something of that sort. the parts that are actually different from the other SR's is what I mean

The only thing that would be difficult to source that might go bad is the coilpacks. S15's have the ignitor built into the coilpack (thats why S15's dont have ignitors).

Get an S14 SR because people sell them for less, if you want a 6 speed go buy a used 350z trans, slap a big boy turbo on and roll out.

My friend has an S15, guess how many gears he has in it? 5, the 6 speed is taking up space in the corner lol

hes not buying a motor swap he was looking at a car that already had it swapped in.

s15 sr all day anyway, its newer, less mileage, better turbo, better injectors, everything better. people who say the transmission is shit are retarded if they are comparing it to the stock 5spd that can barely hold 300whp. they are just repeating what some tool online said. yea the 6spd trans is weak if you are a pro driver pushing over 350whp beating the car up every single time you drive it. which I am sure you are most likely not so don't worry about it and the fairy tales that go with it. my uncle has had his for over 3 years with no problems and loved it so much he converted his 180sx blacktop to 6spd. :bigthumbu:eek:

also if your coilpacks go bad just fix it the right way and buy new ones, you can get oem or aftermarket from the internet, dont be that retard who puts used ones in and has the same issue 2 months later. quality > quantity

the reason im asking is cuz the car already has an s15 SR im not trying to make a build im just weighing the options between a kouki with an s14 sr and an s15 sr, thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

hes not buying a motor swap he was looking at a car that already had it swapped in.

s15 sr all day anyway, its newer, less mileage, better turbo, better injectors, everything better. people who say the transmission is shit are retarded if they are comparing it to the stock 5spd that can barely hold 300whp. they are just repeating what some tool online said. yea the 6spd trans is weak if you are a pro driver pushing over 350whp beating the car up every single time you drive it. which I am sure you are most likely not so don't worry about it and the fairy tales that go with it. my uncle has had his for over 3 years with no problems and loved it so much he converted his 180sx blacktop to 6spd. :bigthumbu:eek:

also if your coilpacks go bad just fix it the right way and buy new ones, you can get oem or aftermarket from the internet, dont be that retard who puts used ones in and has the same issue 2 months later. quality > quantity
^^^Thanks Bro best response!!

So the stock 5 speed can only hold 300whp?! Someone better go tell that stock ka Trans that was in my 400whp sr for 3 years that its gonna blow up!!!

Back
Top Bottom