S14 electrical problems

viral5523

Spectator
Ok, this is kind of wierd. Never really heard of this happening before.

Ok, car (S14) was running just fine except i had a small radiator leak so i decided to upgrade my radiator to an all aluminum radiator with a set of flex-a-lites which came out great.... But, now for some reason im having a bit of a wierd situation with all my accessory electronics (cluster, dome light, radio etc.) in the car.

Nothing works, but thats not the wierd part. Wierd part is i can still crank the car and it starts just fine, once i rev the motor to about 2250rpm, all accessory devices instantly turn on and everything works like it should until i shut off the car, which then i would have to repeat over again by starting the car for it all to turn on.

Now as far as the wiring for the fans, i previously had my old electric fans wiring to an ignition source, i rewired the new flex-a-lites properly with a relay and aftermarket thermostat, which like i said, they work just fine.

And now another symptom, car is not running off the alternator. I did the old trick of disconnecting the negative off the battery and the car dies. Today i spent the day removing the alternator and took it to a local autopart store and tested it, its putting out about 15.9 volts. I was able to hunt down another ECU but with no luck, still having the same problem.

Any suggestions anyone?

Ok, all fixed. Kind of a unique problem though. When I relocated my battery to the trunk, i put a power distribution in engine bay. Well the one port that i had the alternator wire to burnt out and melted the plastic housing, i replaced it w/ all fuses and all returned to normal.

my s13 does that when my fans and ac and lights on everything gets a little bit brighter when you rev the motor i added another ground. it helped the idle tho.

Back
Top Bottom