s13 wont turn over. new battery, still wont turn over

the 240 has been starting normally since i bought her, but since a few days ago it wouldnt turn over, thought the battery was dead, so we tried to jump it, only after having the battery hooked up to a jumper for 10 plus minutes did it eventually turn over, then the next day it got worse and took ilke 20 minutes.

i figured the battery was dead, went out and bought a new one but the same problem is there. car wont turn on the starter doesnt even initiate, everythign in the car like radio clock tach meter etc.. turns on, the lights work, the radiator fan turns on. but the car just wont turn over

any ideas would be greatly apreciated

please PM me with any ideas

Thanks for the suggestions ill check n let you guys know what turns up, in the mean time any other thoughts would be appreciated... the previous owner wired the car so that you dont have to press down the clutch to start the car, i was wondering if there might be a foul up there. but wouldn't even knw where to begin to look.

Thanks for the suggestions ill check n let you guys know what turns up, in the mean time any other thoughts would be appreciated... the previous owner wired the car so that you dont have to press down the clutch to start the car, i was wondering if there might be a foul up there. but wouldn't even knw where to begin to look.

As far as being able to start the car without holding the clutch... There is a push type switch mounted behind the clutch pedal. When depressed you will not be able to start the car. Really doubt this is the issue as you were able to get the car to start when jumped. Like they said, check the grounds and make sure there is not some corrosion going on. You can also get a multimeter real quick and check the grounds for good continuity. While meter is hooked you can shake around the grounds and make sure you don't have a broken wire. Also maybe check the voltage on the battery when it's not cranking. When you jumped the car did you hook the wires up thru the battery or just straight to the car's cables?

Well it depends on how good he "wired" it up. Was the car ever auto? IDK why he would be lazy and rewire it?

As far as being able to start the car without holding the clutch... There is a push type switch mounted behind the clutch pedal. When depressed you will not be able to start the car. Really doubt this is the issue as you were able to get the car to start when jumped. Like they said, check the grounds and make sure there is not some corrosion going on. You can also get a multimeter real quick and check the grounds for good continuity. While meter is hooked you can shake around the grounds and make sure you don't have a broken wire. Also maybe check the voltage on the battery when it's not cranking. When you jumped the car did you hook the wires up thru the battery or just straight to the car's cables?

I have had this happen before. The little plastic plug piece on the pedal lever pops out and wont start, but if its bypassed shouldnt matter.

Are your terminals on the battery clean from corrision? Are they tightened or just resting? How are the connecters? Clean or brittle and used? I have had problems like this before, loose connectors with slight corrision causing problems similiar to this.

Worth a shot.

clean the plugs that go to the positive battery terminal, or replace them with ring terminals, should be one plug with 2 thinner wires and a second plug with one fatter wire, hope this helps

Well it depends on how good he "wired" it up. Was the car ever auto? IDK why he would be lazy and rewire it?

I was gonna cutout that clutch switch as well. When the car is hot and have to get my 2yr old in the car... Its much easier to just turn the key then get in the seat and push in the clutch to get the car started and cooling off, lol... Ya I know semi-lazy right :)

yea i had the same problem with my s14 and it was the starter. it probably froze. it didnt help that i was hitting the starter with a rod for a few weeks to get the car to start haha

I would say to try and tap the starter with a hammer to see if it just has a dead spot in it, or it could possibly be the solenoid on the starter going out. If all your power and grounds are secure then most likely it's the starter. If you take it out and run it to an advance auto parts they have the machine that you can hook it up to and test it. or just hook a power and ground directly from the battery to by pass the start system to test if it reacts when you ignore the rest of the system (that's if your comfortable with the electronic aspects).

take out the starter, and bench test it, it it works then go in with a volt meter and see why its not getting power

yea best way to test starter is to remove it, its really easy with some really long extensions. test it, if its bad replace it ( i have a few for sale) don't forget to check your fuses/relays also if your not getting power.

People will very heavy clutches will often disable the the clutch safety switch to spare their thrust bearings. When you wear out your thrust bearings you end up with crank walk.

Back
Top Bottom