S13 Won't Start?

HadesMR

Hey guys,

I have a question, a buddy of mine just picked up a '93, DOHC S13 Coupe. The previous owner (who we do not really know) said that the car was running fine. We took it off his hands for under a grand and decided even if it wasn't starting the shell was in really good condition and it was worth it. So, we get it home and try to crank it, it won't crank at all. We got a new battery for it and that didn't help. We bought a new starter and before we even installed it we tried the old starter with the battery and it works just fine, so, reinstall the original starter and return the old one. The car is on E, but, the thing is, it won't even crank! It just gives us this dead click, nothing we have tried thus far has proven fruitful. So... any advice (Aside from contacting the local mechanic)? Thank you gurus! :bigthumbu

Starter!!!!!. If your battery is new and you are using the old starter, is the starter!!!! change it, you will thank me later :)

Devil Man said:
is it an auto or manual?
It's Automatic, we put it in Park if that was going to be the question!

JDM_Of_Miami said:
Starter!!!!!. If your battery is new and you are using the old starter, is the starter!!!! change it, you will thank me later

Will give it a shot, thanks man.

just cause you put it park.. doesnt mean that the car knows its in park. which could be one of the problems.

Devil Man said:
just cause you put it park.. doesnt mean that the car knows its in park. which could be one of the problems.

This is true! How do I get that skank ho S13 to know that it's in park if that is the problem?

man to be totaly honest i dont remeber where it is. but it would be the neutral safty switch i think its called. but to say that thats the problem right off the bat is kinda hard, but looking like a possiblity.

Sounds like a bad ground or wiring, frist with a voltmeter measure the voltage. there is a thick wire that runs to the battary to the starter that should always read 12v then theres another small wire which is the ignition switch signal which gets 12v only when you turn the key into the starting position. If none of those are reading 12v then theres your problem but if they do then check the ground cable on the battery to the motor. NOTE make sure there is a good 12v in the battary. If all these things are good then its your starter. There you go this should slove your problem :bigthumbu damn my fringer hurt from typing so much lol

HadesMR said:
This is true! How do I get that skank ho S13 to know that it's in park if that is the problem?

Theres a plug that is located under the fuse box on the passenger side. The plug has two thick wires I believe the colors of the wires are black with a white stripe and black with a yellow stripe , disconnect the plug and just connect those two wires together this will disable the neutrel safety switch.

Back
Top Bottom