Rx8 drift car, input, good or bad car for sliding?

V

vincenzo

I'm new to the forum and I have been thinking of buying a RWD car and, with the help of a couple guys on here, (mx5coco and secretS2k) start going to track days. I want something that I can enjoy as a daily driver and maybe every once in a while go to an event and slide with a couple friends. I know the torque is less than good on RX8s and the SE3P platform doesn't allow for too much improvement power wise but it's kind of the car that catches my eye, don't ask me why. Is it possible to make a decent drift car out of an RX8 suspension setup and things of that nature, or am I wasting my time.

lack of torque will make things harder. as a daily driver you'll fall in love with its finesse with handling, like no other, but you'll be left searching for that torque on the track. the engine doesnt lend its self to high boost since its compression ratio is even higher than past rotaries. as far as suspension well, that can always be fixed. being something that you'd slide just every now or then i'd buy it. give it a test drive and zip to 9k repeatedly, then you'll know.:)

trash that motor... swap either a 13b from a turbo2 or a V8 (they do make a kit for it) if u looking to spent tht kinda money for a drift car, id go with a Z

I've driven one on the old moroso course and the only thing I have to say is the car handles amazing, but the lack of TQ is really really bad. If your starting g out I'd get a z over a rx8 , and that's coming from a Mazda lover.

I've driven one on the old moroso course and the only thing I have to say is the car handles amazing, but the lack of TQ is really really bad. If your starting g out I'd get a z over a rx8 , and that's coming from a Mazda lover.

Definately a Z if you are starting out. The VQ has plenty of grunt in the mid range. I also think that as time goes by, the Z's aftermarket will remain stronger than the RX-8.

My girlfriend has an 05 base 6spd. It's like real fuckin slow. Handles amazing. In the base models there is no way to turn off traction control, you
Gotta find ways to trick it. Fun car though, just wish it had more power.

trash that motor... swap either a 13b from a turbo2 or a V8 (they do make a kit for it) if u looking to spent tht kinda money for a drift car, id go with a Z

Definitely don't put an old junk turbo2 motor in a Rx8. Maybe an FD motor or a 13bre cosmo motor. The only way I would do an Rx8 would probably be with a 20b or an Ls1.

I would say go with something else if you wanna daily it and track it.

the torque is low but i think it makes up for it in other areas. its almost miata nimble, which is fun. if youre interested in autocross or track days as well as drifting i highly recomend the rx8. people have drifted with less torque. obviously its more difficult and you cant rely on the torque to get you out of mistakes, but its still a very fun car. and it kinda has back seats which doesnt suck.

the torque is low but i think it makes up for it in other areas. its almost miata nimble, which is fun. if youre interested in autocross or track days as well as drifting i highly recomend the rx8. people have drifted with less torque. obviously its more difficult and you cant rely on the torque to get you out of mistakes, but its still a very fun car. and it kinda has back seats which doesnt suck.

this coming from a guy that has never done a drift event in a RX8. Plus his was the girls model.

Definitely don't put an old junk turbo2 motor in a Rx8. Maybe an FD motor or a 13bre cosmo motor. The only way I would do an Rx8 would probably be with a 20b or an Ls1.

I would say go with something else if you wanna daily it and track it.

you know better than me... my buddy put the 20b in his rx8..epic
he wants to take it out to the skidpad some day soon.

joelsrx8.jpg

Last edited:
By the time that hits boost the skid pad is going to be over.

Back
Top Bottom