Running w/o a thermastat?

word, for me i dont get hot unless i continuously go and go and go... make sure u have fluid in the radiator, simple as that is it helps hahahahaha. (i know i didnt check it and well when i did vwalah!) elctric fans, koyo rad, and NAAZZZZ!

when we say nismo thermo are we saying the standard or low temp nismo thermo as there is two options to pick from, some one please chime in, i'm in the process of ordering one from courtesy

On my sr (they run hot as it is) I run stock t stat, mishimoto rad, and 1 15" fan. I run 140 degrees farenheit. I'm sure taking out the t stat is dumb because as many have agreed, it will take a long ass time for the engine to warm up causing it to run like a caca pupu.

when we say nismo thermo are we saying the standard or low temp nismo thermo as there is two options to pick from, some one please chime in, i'm in the process of ordering one from courtesy

:threadjac

Last edited:
well my problem is i'm going to turbo my ka. and people say it's a good idea to get a colder nismo t-stat vs stock. my problem is in the mean time will the colder t-stat get my car to operating temp or will my temp gauge be under half way near the cold mark.

as it is right now i just have the housing and ripped the guts out of my old t-stat. my car temp gauge hardly moves and i know it's not good, plus my gas mileage is poo. with the colder t-stat, if it opens up earlier, will it just take longer to get to "normal" operating temps, or in a daily drive scenario it would actually still be under cooling my car with to much flow to early?

if the nismo t-stat will flow to much and cause my car to not be at proper running temps so i can get better gas milage and less wear then i'll stick with stock. but unlike having basically no thermo will it just be cold momentarily and as i "casually" drive things will warm up like normally just take a tad longer??

whats the case. i really would like to get the colder t-stat but if it's going to cause my car when i'm not drifting to still be in the cold and horrible gas mileage i rather not.

i know stock is better, but i rather not have to buy two.

^well said

^this gets old

to OP: if you are running into problems of keeping the car cool and you tried checking or upgrading the rest of the cooling system then as a last resort would i personally remove the thermostat.

^^^ listen to him and keep in mind that a thermostat is an aid for the cooling system not a miracle part. the thermostat helps the radiator to cool, functionality wise the thermostat 1. helps the motor reach optimal temps 2. restricts the water pump from simply pushing the coolant through the radiator. this will in fact actually make the car overheat. think about this scenario: you are driving in high RPM's and the water pump is doing its job. the coolant is moving at an accelerate rate through the cooling system because you have no thermostat. where does the cooling occur? it doesn't thats the problem. you need the thermostat to restrict the coolant from free flowing so that the coolant can cool down in the radiator. this is the most common misconception amongst car tuners. if you are worried about cooling upgrade your radiator and fans first.

well my problem is i'm going to turbo my ka. and people say it's a good idea to get a colder nismo t-stat vs stock. my problem is in the mean time will the colder t-stat get my car to operating temp or will my temp gauge be under half way near the cold mark.

as it is right now i just have the housing and ripped the guts out of my old t-stat. my car temp gauge hardly moves and i know it's not good, plus my gas mileage is poo. with the colder t-stat, if it opens up earlier, will it just take longer to get to "normal" operating temps, or in a daily drive scenario it would actually still be under cooling my car with to much flow to early?the colder thermostat only opens earlier thus meaning you will need to reach the designated temp first. you do not have to worry about the car taking longer to warm up. the difference is almost unnoticeable under normal driving conditions.

if the nismo t-stat will flow to much and cause my car to not be at proper running temps so i can get better gas milage and less wear then i'll stick with stock. but unlike having basically no thermo will it just be cold momentarily and as i "casually" drive things will warm up like normally just take a tad longer??

whats the case. i really would like to get the colder t-stat but if it's going to cause my car when i'm not drifting to still be in the cold and horrible gas mileage i rather not.

i know stock is better, but i rather not have to buy two.

^^^ listen to him and keep in mind that a thermostat is an aid for the cooling system not a miracle part. the thermostat helps the radiator to cool, functionality wise the thermostat 1. helps the motor reach optimal temps 2. restricts the water pump from simply pushing the coolant through the radiator. this will in fact actually make the car overheat. think about this scenario: you are driving in high RPM's and the water pump is doing its job. the coolant is moving at an accelerate rate through the cooling system because you have no thermostat. where does the cooling occur? it doesn't thats the problem. you need the thermostat to restrict the coolant from free flowing so that the coolant can cool down in the radiator. this is the most common misconception amongst car tuners. if you are worried about cooling upgrade your radiator and fans first.

listen to him and the person he is quoting

i got a koyo rad and new water pump. i didn't buy a t-stat. i found out in the process that my old one was bad. so i cut out the middle part and put the housing back in . so it's unrestricted. now i want to buy a t-stat. will the nismo t-stat function like a normal one and bring me up to operating temps so i can improve my gas mileage or should i go stock. i will be turboing and i read a few threads about people saying get the nismo if you turboing a ka. but not why. my question is if i'm casually driving will the nismo thermo help my car heat up properly, or not? my gas mileage blows and i know it's because it's running to cold. i don't wanna buy both if the nismo will heat my car up, and my temp gauge return to normal.

i got a koyo rad and new water pump. i didn't buy a t-stat. i found out in the process that my old one was bad. so i cut out the middle part and put the housing back in . so it's unrestricted. now i want to buy a t-stat. will the nismo t-stat function like a normal one and bring me up to operating temps so i can improve my gas mileage or should i go stock. i will be turboing and i read a few threads about people saying get the nismo if you turboing a ka. but not why. my question is if i'm casually driving will the nismo thermo help my car heat up properly, or not? my gas mileage blows and i know it's because it's running to cold. i don't wanna buy both if the nismo will heat my car up, and my temp gauge return to normal.

dont take this the wrong way but why do you think your coolant temp has an affect on your gas milage? and why would you care about gas milage when you are boosting your car? everyone who has had a boosted car prays to get 300 miles to the tank and thats driving like Ms Daisy. dont forget the rule of thumb for gas : 1/3 heating 1/3 cooling 1/3 energy

the reason why people say to use a colder thermostat for turboing a NA car is to bring down the coolant temp which will optimistically bring down oil temps. since most aftermarket turbos dont have coolant passages this is the only way to cool the turbo. this is why factory turbo charged cars have oil coolers and are coolant cooled as well. both those elements present prolongs the life expectancy of your turbo. dont forget that coolant and oil are exactly the same, both dissipate heat. coolant dissipates heat by switching surfaces. oil dissipates heat by reducing friction, as we all know friction = heat. so the cooler the oil temps the better especially under heavy loads. thats why all professionally tuned cars run big external oil coolers.

thanks kikanku.
i understand everything you said, and knew before hand.
gas mileage is poor due to the fact that since my temp sensor is getting wrong readings due to the flying water at a wrong rate that my car is in open loop and causes gas mileage to go down. and the fact that it went to poo right after i gutted my old broken t-stat.

it's a pretty easy answer i am asking, and can be a direct yes(or no). a nismo t-stat will allow the car to properly warm up, in which allow my car to properly mange fuel consumption. in which i'm concluding with, as i can't get the direct yes no answer i wanted, with my own answer, in which im just gonna buy the colder t-stat, and be done with it ! :).

it wont' be till mid summer when i get my turbo done. in the mean time i'm trying to save on gas is all :).

if the gauge don't read right then i'm guessing it is.

or it's just running real rich to constantly make it warm up in which it doesn't.

thank you for your input!

thats a good point, i didn't think of the ecu getting a different code vs what i see on the gauge cluster.

rofl i ordered a new t-stat and highly don't recommend not running one. you can easily tell when you turn off the car that the engine just starts to transfer heat to the liquid as i hear all sorts of stuff boiling and my overflow tank blows up due to liquid flying through my rad cap from the increased pressure.

Back
Top Bottom