Running rich !!!! need help please look

sr s14

Banned
Well my story is that as i was driving my sr 240 today i felt that my car was running super rich and bogging out at about 4k rpm when i got home i opened the hood and noticed my intercooler piping was loose so i tightend it and problem was fixed the car runs exelent now after i got that fixed i did my first oil change on it with synthetic oil and the car run great and evrything but my gauge says im running rich and i noticed small tiny drops of oil that came out of my exhaust does anyone know what this can be i just bought the car so im trying to learn about all of this stuff

the car was running exellent the day before and the car has not been raced just driven normal and a short distance the car still runs exellent but its a minor minor smoke i already fixed all the loose hoses canit be from maybe this is the first time the car has had synthetic oil and its adjusting

are you sure its oil......... while an exhaust system is cold over night it gathers humidity. When the car is turned on and the exhaust warms up the cold humidity condenses into water droplets. While the exhaust flow picks up the water droplets it also picks up soot from the resonators and pipes. Which looks like bits of oil being sprayed out the exhaust. It will take a good hour of driving to get a strait through exhaust system hot enough to evaporate all the humidity in the resonator. A cheap rich lean gauge only tells you whether you are rich or lean of stoichiometric. I would hope that while you are driving the car and in boost it shows rich or you have issues.

Thats good you spotted and fixed the boost leak. Go through the rest of your couplers and make sure the rest of them are secure and not leaking.

Last edited:
My car has a apexi tunner that controls fuel/rpm and things like that can i set it a lil better so the car will run a little leaner and if so is it dificult

If he's running rich it makes sense.

But like rick said, without a wideband your a/f readings are basically useless. To get a better reading, strap your car to a dyno w/ a wideband and see where the a/f ratios really are. Have a tuner check out the readings and get his opinion - or just post it here and a couple of us can give you a pretty good idea of where you stand.

-I would pop off your intake piping and check the shaftplay on your turbo. If there is noticable shaftplay, you might want to unbolt the DP, check the shaftplay in the rear. Could be oil seals in the turbo. That would be the most obvious reason.

-I would pop off your intake piping and check the shaftplay on your turbo. If there is noticable shaftplay, you might want to unbolt the DP, check the shaftplay in the rear. Could be oil seals in the turbo. That would be the most obvious reason.

he said oil droplets, not smoke. Compressor and turbine bearing play will be the same considering they are operating on the same balanced shaft.

If he's running rich it makes sense.

But like rick said, without a wideband your a/f readings are basically useless. To get a better reading, strap your car to a dyno w/ a wideband and see where the a/f ratios really are. Have a tuner check out the readings and get his opinion - or just post it here and a couple of us can give you a pretty good idea of where you stand.

+1

Back
Top Bottom