Removing Steering/ignition Lock Is Stupid Easy

For those curious how to remove your steering lock.
Ok i just got finished removing my steering lock and its easy.
1 remove ignition switch from car
2 On the switch directly below the lock is a round aluminum cap get a drill and drill 3/8 hole in it directly in the center
3 Remove the spring its that simple without the spring the lock will never engage. done reinstall.

If you got ne questions just PM me. Dont have my camera or id take some shots to show you.

ima do mine tomorrow man, ill get pics as i do it, thanks for the instructions- i was gonna wing it, but now i have something to go off of.

according to harri's response, which makes sense, is that it will allow for a safety crew to move the vehicle if needed to get though or anything, without the driver having to be around for the key to be in so the steering doesn't lock.

also he said, which also makes sense, is that it can technically malfunction and lock the steering wheel WHILE driving/drifting.

its only for the FDC/D1 and probably FD series type stuff. normal events don't require this.

according to harri's response, which makes sense, is that it will allow for a safety crew to move the vehicle if needed to get though or anything, without the driver having to be around for the key to be in so the steering doesn't lock.

also he said, which also makes sense, is that it can technically malfunction and lock the steering wheel WHILE driving/drifting.

its only for the FDC/D1 and probably FD series type stuff. normal events don't require this.

i was asking you last week and you didnt know and i was too lazy too search too hard so i just played by ear. easy as pie

i did it in my corolla cause i hate it when im working on my car and my steering wheel locks its a pain in the ass when your cars on a lift and it locks and you have to lower it back down to unlock the wheel.

wtf, so far this lock cylinder is harder to remove than any other iver ever done...

yea wtf, this tamper proof bolt shit. im gonna make a push button start, fuck this. its way more pimp.

Last edited:
just goto harbor freight and pick up a security bit set for $10 and that will have the tamper torx bits

just goto harbor freight and pick up a security bit set for $10 and that will have the tamper torx bits

there not tamper torxs holding the key cylinder on the column.

use a dremel to cut a slit on the head and remove with flat head.

i cant, mine are like really low with NO real head at all. its like a domed flat head but the recessed area it sits in prevents it from being dremel cut. I read that article on NICO. I'm prollg going to have to drill them out but then I wont be able to re-attach it very well.... unless zip ties.... hmmmm....

*bonus weight reduction- in frustration of trying to maneuver around I snapped the damn wiper arm clean off. -.1 lbs!!

i cant, mine are like really low with NO real head at all. its like a domed flat head but the recessed area it sits in prevents it from being dremel cut. I read that article on NICO. I'm prollg going to have to drill them out but then I wont be able to re-attach it very well.... unless zip ties.... hmmmm....

*bonus weight reduction- in frustration of trying to maneuver around I snapped the damn wiper arm clean off. -.1 lbs!!

lol

i did the same on my s14 luckly i have no use for wipers, i just use a cut off wheel cut it off, remove spring like bill said and got to long bolts and bolted it back together

I just finally stopped being a bitch and did it. I used the dremel method and just cut through the bolt housing in order to slot the heads some. Unscrewed it, but then I did the rest different. I straight cut and ground that fucker off. Never will lock again now because its physically short as shit. I took pics but going to eat some 44c wings for dinner first.

later!

wowiv never had such trouble i guess i shouldv said how to remove it. the way to remove those bolts is by using a small diameter punch and tapping them on an angle, that method removes the and installs them for me all the time.

I tried that the first time but i couldnt get them to grab having to be upside down with the car on the trailer (door barely opens) and the roll cage to deal with lmao. anyways I got it and here is pics

Here is the bottom piece with the tamper proof bolts slotted out with a dremel
1.jpg

then once that is off the rest was sitting like this, being held on only by the 'locking pin' being locked in place from turning the wheel w/no key in.
2.jpg

Now, I just jiggled the wheel and pulled and it comes off. You can see the 'pin' or more like 'tab' and the slot it locks into (on the column).
3.jpg

I first thought about drilling like Bill said but I decided I wanted to pin to be totally unable to slip/fall/jolt/ anything into position so I cut off the majority with a dremel. First cutting a midpoint then cutting in from edges. This shit is no pushover as the damn thing likes to 'retreat' to its home with any decent pressure- not to mention that its not soft metal.
4.jpg

Once most of it was gone i took it to the bench grinder and worked it over good. The 'retreat' of the locking pin was really annoying and makes this longer than if you could jam it/hold it in the out position but after trying several things, I figured it was faster to just deal with the slow grind since it was stil working well. Here is top/side shots of final pin/tab thing. Its toast.
5.jpg

6.jpg

I have reinstalled it with a screwdriver on the newly slotted no tamper bolts and the steering wheel no longer locks at all of course! Woohoo.

I just finally stopped being a bitch and did it. I used the dremel method and just cut through the bolt housing in order to slot the heads some. Unscrewed it, but then I did the rest different. I straight cut and ground that fucker off. Never will lock again now because its physically short as shit. I took pics but going to eat some 44c wings for dinner first.

later!
thats what i was going to say
but you figured it out

Back
Top Bottom