Refund deposit?

What should I do with his deposit?

• Be a nice guy and refund it all.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Compromise and refund half.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Refund it only if i find another buyer for the same price.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Guys out of luck and deposits aren't refundable so keep it all

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters
So I sold my rb25 long block the beginning of march. The buyer paid me a deposit of half the price to hold it until he could come get it in like a week and a half. Now over two months later after I barely have heard from him unless I text him asking what's going on and when he is getting it he wants a refund. Becuase he isn't sure when he can get it.

Now I don't want to be a dick and keep his deposit but at the same time it is a deposit and it's ridiculous that he couldn't time to get it with in two months. So I'm just looking to see other peoples opinions on the right way to handle this.

If you didn't mention that the deposit is non refundable then you would have to refund the money . You can be a dick an look bad but thats on you. I personally would tell him to just buy it and find out because he's already half in. If not try and play it off like a deposit usually isn't refundable and see if he puts his big Boy pants to pick it up

Last edited:
Keep it.

Unless you knew he wasn't gonna be able to get it for two months. Who knows if within those past 2 months plus, you could have had your motor in the market still and sold it for the full amount. A deposit is a deposit for a reason, sucks to suck for the ex-purchaser.

Keep it.

Unless you knew he wasn't gonna be able to get it for two months. Who knows if within those past 2 months plus, you could have had your motor in the market still and sold it for the full amount. A deposit is a deposit for a reason, sucks to suck for the ex-purchaser.

I guess since it has been that long you should keep It . I would attempt to sell for another week to him if not tell him uour keeping the deposit

To me a deposit is them telling you they are a serious buyer and to take the item "off the market" as they will pay the full amount. Your wasted time, and lack of full sale would be enough for some people to keep the deposit. Maybe say that you have every right to keep it, as thats what a deposit is for, but because your a good guy, you'll refund half?

It all depends on how you guys reached an agreement.... anything in writing?

Depsoits are non refundable. offer to meet him somewhere, just to give urself a clear conscience... otherwise...u made some $ and keep on keepin on!

A guy once gave me a $50 deposit on my silvia front to hold it for him till the following week. A month or two go by and he finally gets in touch with me and says he wants a refund. Well that $50 was long gone, and I told him a deposit is a deposit. And a deposit is non-refundable...

Keep it. Maybe give him 25% back as a kind gesture if you want. But yea thats your money now.

my personal opinion is it is a deposit... so (the buyer) is commited to it. tell him to cough up the rest of the cash in a set period or time or he looses his "depsoit" if you have a buyer after that set period of time sell it to them and forget it ever happen. you at least tried:gayfight:

i look at a deposit as a fee to take the item off the selling market, and the rest of the amount payed in a reasonable and mutual agreed period of time. the money is non refundable (unless mutually agreed on) for any reason the full amount isn't met it is a small fee for your wasted time.

deposits are risks, a buyer should be aware of all consequences before one is placed

U know I gave a member on here a deposit once. it was 100 bux for a 1000 dollar car. I told him, here (sent a paypal deposit) and said hold the car for me till the weekend and i'll come get it.
I don't remember what happened now, but the truck broke or the trailer broke or i had to work...i really don't remember what tha reason was, but I just COULDN'T make it out that weekend. So I asked him to hold it for me until the next weekend. He said no, sold it and kept my deposit.

Although I was PISSED AS FUCK...
there wasn't a god damn thing I could do about it. A deposit is a fee given to hold the product for a certain amount of time. That time has long been expired. Its YOUR money now. Move on.

i would say it depends on the amount he gave you. do u feel that you deserve it? i mean half is kinda a lot. i dont know how much half of your asking price was but just say it was 1000 cuz you wanted 2000 for the rb. i would personally give back half cuz you had to keep store walk around this engine. if he only gave u 500 i would keep it. i would put it in a perspective of how much do u feel u should keep. if u have a buyer that it is ready to pay in full then i would be a little more lenient on the deposit but thats me. i do feel u should be compinseted for him messing up your sale

Depends on you dude, I mean fuck he gave you the deposit 2 months ago idk how he expects a refund. Ill be mad that he made me hold the part for that long and now he wants a refund. But at the same time if i had the cash and didnt touch it or anything ill probably try to work something out(if the dude/chick was cool with me and not a dick since sometimes emergencies happen).

Ahmed: dam that's pretty horrible. Now that was a dick move on the seller. (even thou he had the right to do it, it was still a dick move)

Back
Top Bottom