Rear Ring and Pinion

boxmod

Driver
I have heard q45 gear is a taller ratio and will fit 'some' of the s13 diff housings. Anyone have knowledge or know what the requirements are to swap that?

I am going to replace with either a fresh stock gear or change to that if its possible.

I have heard q45 gear is a taller ratio and will fit 'some' of the s13 diff housings. Anyone have knowledge or know what the requirements are to swap that?

I am going to replace with either a fresh stock gear or change to that if its possible.

yeah, q45 is taller and stronger. Why not just put the whole shebang in there?

Q45 diff is a r200 (same as 13,14,z32,j30, everything is interchangeable. If you want to put it in a 240, you can pull out the ring and pinion and put it in your case, or you can leave that case and install your internal carrier with your 6 bolt axles and you have to change your output flange as its different. There are also different years with different ratios, I believe you LS guys like the 3.55 which is 90-96 (vh45) and 97-01 (vh41) was 3.69

The there is a little bit of info here.
http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html

soo q45 diffs..
VLSD
6 bolt axles (not the same 6 bolt pattern as s chassic though and suppose to be the strongest factory axles.
3.54 (90-96)
3.69 (97-01)
bigger output flange
Different diff cover (s14,z32,j30 style)

so swap the flange, internal carrier, axles and diff cover and your set!

so its... put the q45 gear/pinion in my case or swap everything to a q45 housing?

why would I want to swap it all over if it fits right in? (if i matters; I already have upgraded axles for my diff, which is a KaaZ inside)

i haven't messed with a diff more than mounting and bolting axles/shaft to it. so im not framiliar with the bits at all.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

3.69 sounds legit
yea i dont think i want 3.55

Last edited:
yeah, forgot you had all that rad shit. just swap the ring and pinion over.

and yeah, 3.55 sounds a bit high....low.....idk. get some gas mileage like a mother fucker though.

lol the only problem with just swapping the ring and pinion. If i remember correctly all q diffs had abs sensor (longer pinion) so therefor you cant just throw it in a s chassis pumpkin I think you have to use j30 case or q case or something like that.

so its... put the q45 gear/pinion in my case or swap everything to a q45 housing?

why would I want to swap it all over if it fits right in? (if i matters; I already have upgraded axles for my diff, which is a KaaZ inside)

i haven't messed with a diff more than mounting and bolting axles/shaft to it. so im not framiliar with the bits at all.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

yea i dont think i want 3.55

idk just giving you options, some people are weird lol.

so go ahead swap it all into the Q housing just make sure to shim it right and have proper backlash.

I would think in a car with 450ftlbs or torque, you would wand a longer gear since spinning it won't be hard, plus you get the benefit of faster wheel spin per gear and higher speeds per gear. Just my theory I guess, you guys got any insight?

goose, I was more asking for "can I" than whining. anything i haven't done personally i totally suck at understanding, either hands-on or retarded- thats how i roll hahaha.

diff_comparison.jpg

diff_comparison_Q45.jpg

yea there it is. i knew it was too long or something. I don't know what I'm going to do just yet... I'll do more research.

I would think in a car with 450ftlbs or torque, you would wand a longer gear since spinning it won't be hard, plus you get the benefit of faster wheel spin per gear and higher speeds per gear. Just my theory I guess, you guys got any insight?

well first, none of us have 450trq.... but yes, thats what we are talking about. the whole reason to swap it is to help grab better when you floor it in 2nd. and since youll change the speeds, it will be closer before with gear selection. Good and bad part is now youll be inbetween 2nd-3rd and have to shift more often. but with a more usable 2nd gear, it should be 'smoother' to even out the torqu-y-ness we have.

It will be awesome for 3rd gear too. I feel that 3rd just isn't tall enough but i dont have the power to shift into 4th. I'm very intrested in doing this as well. Or swapping to a r230 diff from the z32tt it has the strongest ring and pinion out of the stuff that fits in our cars. ( without spending a million dollars)

yea thats how i felt stock power bill. 4th was not useable but 3rd was just too short. now i think with the added power, i should just keep the ratio where it is, but i still need a new one. mine is dying.

i think for ease and the fact that I like it now with the added power, i might just get new gear and bearing.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

found this.....

http://forums.nicoclub.com/install-guide-q45-differential-swap-into-240sx-subframe-t267924.html

and

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71971&sid=5dd3c17e1e08a6803abe55f5c4872a95

I think with my upgraded axles im stuck kinda from what i understand now. for now im just getting new stock set. i dont have time to 'figure it out' with my different parts.

It will be awesome for 3rd gear too. I feel that 3rd just isn't tall enough but i dont have the power to shift into 4th. I'm very intrested in doing this as well. Or swapping to a r230 diff from the z32tt it has the strongest ring and pinion out of the stuff that fits in our cars. ( without spending a million dollars)

z32tt diffs are one million dollars. Good luck finding one cheap. And getting 3-4 spares. Z guys think their parts are made of gold or something lol

you lie ! lol

thats 2 million dollars right there!

No lie, had rear 5 lug, axles, diff, rear brakes too.

No bull shit, and 2 of them sitn side by side. I was in shock

Theres was even like 10 j30 diffs and brakes and 5blug

240 owners r slackn

No lie, had rear 5 lug, axles, diff, rear brakes too.

No bull shit, and 2 of them sitn side by side. I was in shock

Theres was even like 10 j30 diffs and brakes and 5blug

240 owners r slackn

get my the rotors and calipers!

Back
Top Bottom