Really odd problem..

DeanGrind

Spectator
So.. basically a few months ago I bought a 96 auto KA to daily until I had enough money to get my real project rolling. Anyways in the last couple of weeks I've been having troubles with it, lately when I've been out driving whether I'm pushing it or just driving, or even sitting at a light, it will randomly drop down to about 500rpms at idle, wont go over 2000rpm while driving, and each time I smell a gas like smell. It may do this anywhere from a minute or so or even up to the whole drive, which can get really irritating.

I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be. Any suggestions?

So.. basically a few months ago I bought a 96 auto KA to daily until I had enough money to get my real project rolling. Anyways in the last couple of weeks I've been having troubles with it, lately when I've been out driving whether I'm pushing it or just driving, or even sitting at a light, it will randomly drop down to about 500rpms at idle, wont go over 2000rpm while driving, and each time I smell a gas like smell. It may do this anywhere from a minute or so or even up to the whole drive, which can get really irritating.

I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be. Any suggestions?

hook up a scanner, and look at the codes

Maybe. I took it off and put it back on before thinking it was the problem. Eh fuck it, ha ill try again. You never know. I have a janky ebay intake.

I should check and see if any codes come up though, didn't even think about that.

Maybe. I took it off and put it back on before thinking it was the problem. Eh fuck it, ha ill try again. You never know. I have a janky ebay intake.

I should check and see if any codes come up though, didn't even think about that.

buy some maf cleaner and clean it out good

took apart maf and put it back together today, it didn't look dirty and i tightened everything up all over again, but the car still does the same. ALSO i forgot to mention that the exhaust makes a god awful rattling sound whenever it starts acting up. not sure why but it does lol

thats a knock sound or off timming sound...
check iacv..if dirty
if u cleaned maf..
check plugs rotor cap wires etc...

Cleaning a maf doesn't make a bad one start working again. Its hard to say whether that sound is related. Id still test a known good maf.

unplug the maf and see what happens. You sure its the manifold rattling and not the cat converter?

took apart maf and put it back together today, it didn't look dirty and i tightened everything up all over again, but the car still does the same. ALSO i forgot to mention that the exhaust makes a god awful rattling sound whenever it starts acting up. not sure why but it does lol

When MAFs take a crap they will go into a default mode to allow you to still drive. Think the limited is set to 2500 or 3000rpm tho. With issues like this at times I will get a quick clip with my phone and post it... Easier to explain the rattle sound.... Also another known common is the timing chain will rattle on the guides. Nothing big just annoying. Can remove the guide if it bothers you as the wear strip has worn thru and now makes a tapping sound.

When MAFs take a crap they will go into a default mode to allow you to still drive. Think the limited is set to 2500 or 3000rpm tho. With issues like this at times I will get a quick clip with my phone and post it... Easier to explain the rattle sound.... Also another known common is the timing chain will rattle on the guides. Nothing big just annoying. Can remove the guide if it bothers you as the wear strip has worn thru and now makes a tapping sound.

Think I should bother cleaning the maf or just go get a whole new one?

i would start the car with the maf disconnected and let it idle to see if starts to act up. if it runs smooth plug your maf back in and see if it starts to act up again. if thats the case you prob have a bad maf.

damn that blows, did you test it with the maf off? if it acts diffently then at least you'll definitely know its not the maf, before you go out and buy one

Back
Top Bottom