rb25 Tapping noise HELP

iDriftS13

Driver
Last night i went out sliding.. Just hit a couple round-abouts and things; everything was fine. So then we went back to my buddies house and rode out to a meet everything was fine.. drove probably 25 minutes back toward my house and about a mile from my house i heard a tapping noise.. so i baby it home and pop the hood and there was a tapping noise comming from the head... Ive searched and called everywhere but idk what it can be.. stuck lifter? timing belt jump a tooth? The noise doesnt get louder as rpms increase but it does get faster in relation to the rpms.. help this car is my means of transportation.

it may sound crazy
but check for exhaust leaks near the turbo

ive seen this happen where people think their motor is tapping but its really an exhaust leak..
and on my old rb the bolts holding the turbo on tend to loosen up

Are you sure its coming from the head?

im almost positive.. ive heard exhaust leak like 6 times today and im not sure thats what it is. i will give it a shot though.

:(

ok well i have a broken exhaust stud but its been like that since i purchased the motor so why would it take so long to start leaking?

Last edited:
Damn RB's..

Edited 3 times just because I didn't want to sound as dick and stay somewhat neutral..

Last edited:
-damn jamie i didn't even get to see it yet. (it's nick) But seafoam does wonders if it is a stuck lifter. If you need my help just give me a ring.

yeah sounds like either a stuck lifter or possibly a bent valve

im guessing it was a stuck lifter.. i set the engine to TDC checked timming and it was fine.. So then i put it back together and the sound was gone.. like when i turned the engine to get it to TDC it freed up the lifter. hmm well thanks for all the input guys im just glad it wasnt anything major.

Back
Top Bottom