ran up on a curb, front wheel pushed back

Sketchy564

Driver
so i was driving the other night and was passing by a turn ive hit a few times that im comfortable with and decided to hit it real quick. I didnt realize untill it was too late, but the sprinklers were on earlyer and the whole area where you would turn in was wet, so i understeered before the turn and was heading straight tward the curb.

i figured "no big deal, just straighten the wheel a bit and slow down so i dont hit that shit" . well my brakes are shitty as fuck no matter how much i bleed them, and just the front right wheel locks up with my foot down any more than half way on the brakes, so in any emergency situation, i cant slow down for shit, the same reason i rear ended that old lady that stopped short in front of me (time for brake upgrade)

so back to the story, i ran up on the curb facing forward, the front right wheel taking the initial impact at about 25-30 mph

that tire popped, and i i noticed that the right wheel was pushed back a little bit, and the whole assemby would wobble back and forth. I looked around with a flash light and narrowed it down to seeing the ball joint on the inner tie rod being loose as fuck and wiggling around. I figured thats also why the wheel was pushed back

I got the tire changed, and luckily i had brand new tein inners and outers that i never got around to putting on. I changed those yesterday, and the knuckle assemby stopped wobling but everything was still cocked back a little

i noticed the tension rod bracket was pretty bent, so ill be replacing that next, and the bushings in the tension rods were popped, so ill replace those with adjustable ISIS ones

but i looked at the FLCA on the pivot point where it connects to the car, and it looks like its stiting crooked. Im not sure if thats from the FLCA being bent, or some other shit being bent, which is pulling the FLCA backwards. Im going to replace the FLCA with these since my ball joints are also fucked, and thats one good fucking deal, its like $80 for just the FLCAs by themselvs
http://fcpimport.com/products/nissan-240sx-suspension-control-arm-suspension-kit-240sx-sk1

but before i start spending money on replacing shit thats perfectly fine, what else could be causing everything to shift back an inch or two like that?

id definatley like to get an allignment asap now that i changed my tie rods, and im getting new tension rods, but i want to fix this issue first

Last edited:
Most the time its just the lca, tension rod, and balljoint that take the impact. But i have seen the front crossmember bend but it is not common. Your on the right track continue!!

yea its prolly LCA and there isnt anything pulling "back" on it to force it back. There is just the tension control arm that holds it forward and back, from the front of the car. without an adjustable one, it couldnt really make the wheel sit farther back unless the mount got bent/pushed closer to the wheel/LCA. Since it is bent then its likely it also screwed the LCA at the same time (cant bend it back without having the other move out of the way for it).

I'd get the new ball joints as well, no reason not to if they are old as dirt.

yea its prolly LCA and there isnt anything pulling "back" on it to force it back. There is just the tension control arm that holds it forward and back, from the front of the car. without an adjustable one, it couldnt really make the wheel sit farther back unless the mount got bent/pushed closer to the wheel/LCA. Since it is bent then its likely it also screwed the LCA at the same time (cant bend it back without having the other move out of the way for it).

I'd get the new ball joints as well, no reason not to if they are old as dirt.

im a little lost

which mount are you talking about that got bent/pushed closer to the LCA, the tension rod bracket? and your saying the tension rods probably bent? and as far as the ball joints, if your talking about the ones on the FLCA, they come with new ball joints already

i dont have money for isis arms yet, but my friends got a good tension rod with the bushing still in tact, so when i get my new bracket im gonna put that on and see what it does, and then next will be the FLCA and ill go from there

sounds like u cant handle a sr it took u forever to get it going thenuve crashed and now this? LOL

umm neither of those accidents had anything to do with power or going too fast

both of them were cause of my shitty ass brakes that dont even work properly no matter how much i bleed them, and could have been avoided if i had half decent brakes

yes, your tension bar mount got bent you said. i am pretty sure the LCA is too. probably.

if you didnt understeer, brakes wouldnt have been needed but.... if you cant get them to bleed right, might need a new master cylinder.

Owned.

Don't worry, you're not the first or last to screw their suspension doing something stupid.
Understeer is crap though.. I think you need better tires in the front because you should have been able to correct.. Did you hit the ebrake when you started to understeer?

yes, your tension bar mount got bent you said. i am pretty sure the LCA is too. probably.

if you didnt understeer, brakes wouldnt have been needed but.... if you cant get them to bleed right, might need a new master cylinder.

thats possible, but i grabbed the booster and MC from my s14 which never had brake issues, so i dont see why it would be fcked up now. But if i change the calipers and lines, and its still giving me shit, then its gotta be the master cylinder

Owned.

Don't worry, you're not the first or last to screw their suspension doing something stupid.
Understeer is crap though.. I think you need better tires in the front because you should have been able to correct.. Did you hit the ebrake when you started to understeer?

yeah understeer sucks. even with coilovers, my s13 understeers way more than the s14 ever did

i didnt really have time to correct it. it was an 120 degree turn and I came in fast and planned on going wide then turning in hard and clutch kicking it to get it sideways and holding it, but when i turned in is when i understeered, and at that point i was already going right tward the curb at about 35mph and didnt really have time to do anything to avoid it

Had the same problem check your tension rod bracket. that was what fixed mine. It was slightly bent and still through off my caster.

Back
Top Bottom