question about micrometers and bearing sizes

Sketchy564

Driver
So im about ready to order some ACL bearings for my other SR since the ones in there looked scarred up. My buddy steve helping me with the "rebuild" is telling me to get a micrometer to measure the size of the crank shaft in different areas so i order the right size bearings and so we can check each pair of shims for the valves and make sure they match

now to my question

according to amazon, they have micrometers from the $20 area, up to more than $100. Im on a budget, but i dont want to cheap out where it matters the most. Obviously the more money you spend on a micrometer the more accurate it will be, for just rebuilding to OEM standars, would a cheap $20 micrometer from harbor freight be fine? or would it be necessary to save up and get an expensive micrometer for this

prolly need new crank or get crank re-ground? if there is scaring on the bearing, isnt there some on the crank?

If the crank isnt scarred up or has been reworked just go with STD Clevite bearings - although Id have a machine shop check / balance it just for piece of mind

you cant just get "standard" bearings.

your crank has #'s on it, 2 sets, 1 with 4(conrod), and one with 5(main).

the block is stamped under upper oil pan, 5#'s.

you take block 11111+ crank 22222 = bearing grade 33333.

most of them will be different 01230.

real easy to get it wrong.

micro's are for when you resurface the crank or block because of damage.

if you look on enjuku's page for bearings it will explain with pics.

real easy to get wrong.

you cant just get "standard" bearings.

your crank has #'s on it, 2 sets, 1 with 4(conrod), and one with 5(main).

the block is stamped under upper oil pan, 5#'s.

you take block 11111+ crank 22222 = bearing grade 33333.

most of them will be different 01230.

real easy to get it wrong.

micro's are for when you resurface the crank or block because of damage.

if you look on enjuku's page for bearings it will explain with pics.

real easy to get wrong.

Thats only when using Nissan OEM bearings. I have STANDARD Clevite bearings in my shizzle.

Back
Top Bottom