Noise issues.

Ok guys so i went on a photo shoot today inside a club. I had serious noise issues because i was forced to shoot @ 3200 iso. I had my sb800 on camera and i shot it with all the options i could. It just seems like i couldnt get enough light to bring the shutter speed up and the iso lower. Any suggestions.

Ok guys so i went on a photo shoot today inside a club. I had serious noise issues because i was forced to shoot @ 3200 iso. I had my sb800 on camera and i shot it with all the options i could. It just seems like i couldnt get enough light to bring the shutter speed up and the iso lower. Any suggestions.

DSC_3432.jpg

DSC_3456.jpg

DSC_3461.jpg

DSC_3493.jpg

DSC_3498.jpg

DSC_3507.jpg

DSC_3513.jpg

DSC_3517.jpg

DSC_3531.jpg

DSC_3539.jpg

DSC_3541.jpg

DSC_3542.jpg

DSC_3544.jpg

DSC_3547.jpg

Last edited:
You should have gotten a little more back and or another lens. So it can show the whole the thing. And get right in the middle of it, looks like you were more to the right. Also I think a corner shot would have worked better.

Plus one on Roly's suggestion.

the shots that i took with a tripod came out awesome. The problem was that i was shooting people. And people move so the slow shutter doesnt work to well. Any tips for shooting people in low light?

imo the 2nd shot is the cleanest..1st one is blurry...the rest of the pics without the people (i.e bottles) could have been taken without the flash...

How though roly/zack? I used a tripod and a high iso low aperture. I tried to get as much light in as i could. The problem was i still got the pictures underexposed. My question to you guys is how do i make it so that i dont get as much noise and still have correct exposed pictures? Raise the e/v on the sb800? I tried that but then it was super over exposed. Please help.

How though roly/zack? I used a tripod and a high iso low aperture. I tried to get as much light in as i could. The problem was i still got the pictures underexposed. My question to you guys is how do i make it so that i dont get as much noise and still have correct exposed pictures? Raise the e/v on the sb800? I tried that but then it was super over exposed. Please help.

u got those backwards

u need low iso..high aperture (technically in "Photography terms" its low aperture) and slow shutter

Last edited:
yeah i did that. i just didnt type that. still though when shooting the people i had to bring the fstop to like 3.5 and even with that and iso3200 i had to shoot @ 1/30th. and it was still underexposed and tons of noise. I must be missing something. Or just need more flash.

2 things: FULL FRAME Body & Fast Glass!

Doesn't really need FF cause the 50d shoots amazing at high iso. 3200 would be shooting iso 400 on my XT. I will agree about fast glas.

To the OP learn how to use your flash off camera. You should be able to sync up to 1/250 or 200 which is more than fast enough to stop motion of people. When shooting people I usually do shutter speed around 1/80 and my fstop around f8, I play around with that depending on how much light I want let in.

yeah i did that. i just didnt type that. still though when shooting the people i had to bring the fstop to like 3.5 and even with that and iso3200 i had to shoot @ 1/30th. and it was still underexposed and tons of noise. I must be missing something. Or just need more flash.

I will take a guess. When I look at the photos with people in them, I think you might be over exposing the ambient. If your flash is set to auto/TTL it might be cutting itself off when it sees the highlights blowing out on the lights over the bottles.

You might try to hold back the ambient a little with a faster shutter or lower ISO, then either dial in some + flash exposure compensation or set the flash to manual and adjust the output until you like what you get. I would have set something like ISO 400, 1/30 sec at f4 or f5.6, that gets some of the ambient in for background, but lets the flash be the key light.

You can also try some noise reduction and color balance changes. I tried working with one of your images, you can see it here. Of course, I don't know if that is the "look" you were going for. Let me know if you would rather I take it down.

David

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd ask for a reshoot. I would NOT give those pictures to a client.

You need faster glass and better equipment if you're going to be shooting professionally.

If you're using Nikon, learn CLS or get yourself some AlienBee CyberSyncs.

To bad he's my friend and asked me for a favor on the fly. I will try what you suggested next time guys thanks again. He was not a client and just needed some pictures on the fly. I understand cls, but i dont have any umbrellas or soft boxes.

Thanks for reworking the pictures man it looks better. Next time ill try a lower iso and bump up the flash power and see what i get.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom