need help with replacing brake pads

ok i drive a 91 240sx super hicas (with abs obviously) and i cant compress the rear pistons in the brake calipers. any suggestions? now the piston is completely out

blueeyezlatino said:
ok i drive a 91 240sx super hicas (with abs obviously) and i cant compress the rear pistons in the brake calipers. any suggestions? now the piston is completely out

they can be a bitch.

we had to have one guy put pressure down on the piston with like a flathead (wedging it against the caliper or something to get a brace) while another screwed it back in...hard as hell to explain, but basically it needed to be pushed to catch the threads.

but if piston is completely out you may need a new caliper.

get in the Zone. AutoZone.

^^ i think hes talkin about the rear calipers and those are twist style meaning the proper way to depress them is tho twist them back or you could damage them...the front calipers you can c-clamp

Or you can go to your local Auto parts and buy/rent the tool to compress the piston back into the caliper..

since 240sx come with rear calipers with intergrated ebrakes the caliper piston is screw like, to compress the caliper piston you need a srcew/depress the piston back into the caliper, at your local autoparts store there is a tool (is a cube with two prongs on each side of it) you the find on that cube with two prongs match up with the two inditations on your caliper's piston you a 3/8th extension and ratchet attatch the brake piston tool and as you push down on the piston spin the piston back into the caliper! its really not that difficult!!

drftnR14 said:
at your local autoparts store there is a tool (is a cube with two prongs on each side of it) you the find on that cube with two prongs match up with the two inditations on your caliper's piston you a 3/8th extension and ratchet attatch the brake piston tool and as you push down on the piston spin the piston back into the caliper! its really not that difficult!!

that would have made it easier...

rear brake are threaded because of the ebrake they sell a special tool for it but try using some wd40 or pb blaster and thread it into the piston... i forgot which way it go but yeah

thank you. im gonna go to autozone and rent the tool. im going tomorrow to the junkyard to buy a new caliper. the rear do screw in,. but since the piston completely fell out of the caliper i need a new caliper. thank you everyone. can't wait to put my red stuff in!!!

well if you were just going to install a new one, you could have just ordered a reman from a parts store and its already set to go

Back
Top Bottom