Need competent shop for a mild rebuild on a KA

obby

Like the title says. I need a local shop that can do a good basic rebuild of a KA24DE with the addition of upgraded pistons.

Recommendations, please.

Hialeah.

The car is running but the compression is:

I suspect it's a piston ring. If I can get away with just replacing the rings and rehoning then I'd prefer that route till I can save for a proper build.

obby said:
Like the title says. I need a local shop that can do a good basic rebuild of a KA24DE with the addition of upgraded pistons.

Recommendations, please.

Visit SMDG's Magic Tune Shop for your needs bro!

Lujan Motorsports isn't too far from ya. Willy is great at what he does and he put together of friend of mine's KA. Talk to Pablo, tell him E.V referred you.

obby said:
Hialeah.

The car is running but the compression is:

I suspect it's a piston ring. If I can get away with just replacing the rings and rehoning then I'd prefer that route till I can save for a proper build.

Ive burnt a few engines, I have not broken the rings, but the ring lands which hold the rings in place crack. The pistons had to be replaced in all of my engines. If you continue to run the engine, it will eventually score the cylinders which will require boring.

240SicknessX said:
Ive burnt a few engines, I have not broken the rings, but the ring lands which hold the rings in place crack. The pistons had to be replaced in all of my engines. If you continue to run the engine, it will eventually score the cylinders which will require boring.

Yeah, I probably broke a land. That's what I get for ignoring my knock indicator light(hey if i can't hear the knock it's ok! pause not). As soon as I took the compression test I never ran it again. The game plan right now is to get the engine pulled somewhere, and bring it to a machine shop. Speed shops charge too much cash :/ All I want to do is put in forged pistons and whatever bearings are worn.

Recommendation for a good machine shop?

obby said:
Yeah, I probably broke a land. That's what I get for ignoring my knock indicator light(hey if i can't hear the knock it's ok! pause not). As soon as I took the compression test I never ran it again. The game plan right now is to get the engine pulled somewhere, and bring it to a machine shop. Speed shops charge too much cash :/ All I want to do is put in forged pistons and whatever bearings are worn.

Recommendation for a good machine shop?

After you take the head off you will be able to inspect the cylinder walls. If there is any light scoring that you can hardly feel with your finger nail try using a berry ball hone to get it out. If you can not get the scores out then I suggest you purchase .020" pistons and have the machine shop bore and hone it to fit them.

The one thing with purchasing stock bore after market pistons is that they come with chrome rings which require a strait cylinder wall seat properly. Cast rings which are stock replacements are able to wear into untrue cylinder bores, they take a longer time to seat because of the voids they fill but will provide better cylinder sealing then chrome rings in original bores. Manufacturers suggest to the customer that when you use chrome rings the cylinders are to be machine bore and honed which true the cylinder walls strait. Chrome rings really do not wear, this is why the strait bore is necessary and why they do not have a break in time.

If you decide to use stock bore pistons you should check with the manufacturer for the availability of cast rings. although I suggest boring .020" over.

and hahha about hearing detonation, Its possible to pull that one off if its a factory turbo car with suitable pistons. These ka ring lands are comparable to apex seals IMO, lol.

nope it was never dynoed. its only on 5lbs right now till the bigger injectors come in..we are running a greddy kit on it with a v-mount setup. This also was not a brian crower stroker kit...

Eddie@SpoolUpRacing said:
nope it was never dynoed. its only on 5lbs right now till the bigger injectors come in..we are running a greddy kit on it with a v-mount setup. This also was not a brian crower stroker kit...

What is the bore and stroke dimensions of the engine, and what is your revlimiter set at ? What size turbo is on it.

240SicknessX said:
What is the bore and stroke dimensions of the engine, and what is your revlimiter set at ? What size turbo is on it.

It's the greddy 20g turbo. He is gonna have to call Joey to answer your questions Rick, your better off asking for Joey's number from him because your relentless when it comes to question's lol. And he would just be a middle man lol.

bore is .20 over and stroke is 104 or 102 cant remember exactly right now.... rev is only till 6.5k turbo is td06 20g

lol i know his questions lol

u suprised rob?? lol

bore is .20 over and stroke is 104 or 102 cant remember exactly right now.... rev is only till 6.5k turbo is td06 20g

u suprised rob?? lol

I didn't mean you wouldn't know, I am just implying that Rick is relentless. You will see good sir.

u suprised rob?? lol

yea 6500 is right up there with them piston speeds at 102mm.

.48 or .63 a\r turbine side?

Back
Top Bottom