My wife wants to rattle can paint her car

Finalgear

any tips or advice ? She is going with a dark blue. Does anyone have there 240 painted this way ? Any pics of rattle can jobs would be helpfull

Thanks

very hard to keep it even. I tried my hood with semi flat black and it didnt work to well. Some spots you get even and others you lay to light or thick. I would recommend a good wide tip so that its a little easier. you get more coverage with the wider tip and its alot easier to build up the coats.

very hard to keep it even. I tried my hood with semi flat black and it didnt work to well. Some spots you get even and others you lay to light or thick. I would recommend a good wide tip so that its a little easier. you get more coverage with the wider tip and its alot easier to build up the coats.

hahahah no wonder lmfao

i done a car with it, sand, prime, shot

Ive done parts before...it is hard to keep even over a big surface.

The key to a good job is your prep work, if you half ass on your prep work you might as well throw in the towel right there.

Do a google search on "rustoleum paint job"

Jakespics082.jpg

Cost me $40. The only hard parts as you can see in the pic are the hood/roof(big area), the rest of the car came out very even with no splotchiness/striping. Biggest mistake people make is buying the cheap paint, like $2 can stuff. No matter what kind you get make sure it has the "fan" spray nozzle, sprays a much wider surface so you don't get the striping look.

i think rust-o has a dark blue in quarts, u can get a hvlp gun for real cheap and save your self the hassle of spraying the whole car with rattle cans(given u have or can borrow a compressor)

Most people just sand,primer and paint nothing more and ussually one thick coat. One way I have learned to spray can stain black, is to sand, primer, sealant, FLAT BLACK (2-3 coats), wet-sand, SEMI-GLOSS CLEAR COAT (2-3 coats), wet-sand, and it will take out most of the stipes, also when you lay a coat, spray it the other way, on the 3rd coat spray it the other way again, kinda like a cross. Mainly the wet-sanding should take out the stripes. Also for poly bumper parts that are flexable, using a flexable agent in the paint works WONDERS!
TAKE YOUR TIME, its takes forever and it sucks ass. I HATE BODY WORK!

Last edited:
proplerly prep the car thats #1

Ive rattle canned every car ive owned at least twice its just how i roll. I only use ACE Rust Stop paint. Ive never seen another can spray as smooth and there fuckin huge. They have alot of different colors to choose from and the consistency is amazing. My one tip to you is to keep the cans in about 5 inches of warm water. make sure they dont tip over though cause you get paint in the tip and its game over. but keeping the cans warm keeps the paint very consistent.

another thing i do is remove the hood to paint it set the hood up so its vertical and you get alot less over spray and striping.

lol haha!! why not just get a real paint job?

Because we have other more important things to spend our money on we have a house payment to make every month and other bills on top of that plus there is a 10 month old baby that needs stuff so spending 1k to 3k on a paint job is not doable right now and hey if she is a fan girl that's ok because she is learning

well i did my hood like some other people and proved to be harder then i expected. i did real good prep work sanded done primerd sanded sealed and painted with the wide tip but i still got lines. my suggestion to u if u would just simply sand and primer like before but use a paint gun. its so much easier u can buy one for like 40 bucks and get some oops paint black for like 20 bucks and it will last. i wish u look and ur wife

Back
Top Bottom