Multiple thermostats

JOnJOn

Driver
Did some searching on the net already but this issue I am having is kind of weird... After I did my SR swap I installed a new KA thermo from pep boys and the car started overheating. I read that it's not totally uncommon for the thermostats from pep boys/advance auto to be faulty. Ended up pulling it out and running with no thermo for awhile, just took a while for the car to warm up. Just got an OEM SR thermo and put it in and am having heating issues again. Almost like my car doesn't like running a thermostat... I bled the water system off the goose neck and allowed all the air to bubble up from the radiator. Any ideas why both thermostats would cause my car to overheat now? Thanks in advance...

When installing the thermo are u making sure the nipple is in the rright position. I had the problem on my ka..all I had to do was raise the car(i still have heater components) and bleed bleed bleed bleed and bleed some more

Stock SR thermostats run a bit hot ~83-86C my car sees on hot days

Are you running heater hoses or did you loop it?

Ya full system with altima fans for cooling...

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

When installing the thermo are u making sure the nipple is in the rright position. I had the problem on my ka..all I had to do was raise the car(i still have heater components) and bleed bleed bleed bleed and bleed some more

No go on the bleeding... Jacked car up, bled till I couldnt bleed anymore. May just pull the thermo out and test it in hot pan.

I had to jack up car. bleed . Lower car drive around block.jack up car bleed 7 times

I personally like to drill about 6-8 tiny holes around the edge of my thermostat to ensure no air is getting trapped in there. Plus I like high-rev flow ^_^

I know the heater lines behind an SR in our LHD chassis like to trap air quite a bit. Turn to heat, and blast that shit while you're bleeding. If you don't have heater lines, disregard.

I personally like to drill about 6-8 tiny holes around the edge of my thermostat to ensure no air is getting trapped in there. Plus I like high-rev flow ^_^

I know the heater lines behind an SR in our LHD chassis like to trap air quite a bit. Turn to heat, and blast that shit while you're bleeding. If you don't have heater lines, disregard.

Never heard of that but could see where it could cause no harm... Had it blasted but will double check my hoses for the heater. Or I could just pull the sucker out since it ran cool without it, lol

cut the center out of thermo
thats how i run mines
no problems
thermo is for the heater
and the cold weather
wat u need it for
its florida..
it gets cold 3days a yr:driving:

Have altima fans already... You mean a mid mount push fan on fwd side?

no i mean highmount/midmount where the intercooler sits right in front of the radiator and you have the fans set as pullers.....my car never passed 170 on that setup

cut the center out of thermo
thats how i run mines
no problems
thermo is for the heater
and the cold weather
wat u need it for
its florida..
it gets cold 3days a yr:driving:

That seems to completely defeat the purpose of a thermostat - doesnt it? I believe for stock ECU or something like the POWER FC the engine temp can greatly affect the amount of fuel being dumped... an engine @ proper operating temp will run better (or more efficient) than one that isnt...

no need for mid mounts to run cold as fuck. Simply running a 3 row aluminum rad + electric fans + proper bleeding system + water that is free of electrolytes, along with a bit of Water-Weter mixture and the hottest you'll run is 160. Been running that setup for years and not a problem.

Thanks for the replies... will spend some time with the issue this evening... ya wanted to run the thermo also cause my car has been running real rich. Without the thermo I was trying to set the adjustable fan controller to compensate not having a thermo to maintain optimal temps for fuel mixture but ya.

I had athe same issue. I bought a thermo from Advance and my car was still overheating. i said screw the thermo and have been running with out it so far this summer. I was told though because i'm going to boost the KA that i need a thermo. Is this true? I'm new to the S chassis and turbo pls bare with me.

Back
Top Bottom