mk3 supra suspension question

tweak666

i'm sorting out what suspension components i'm gonna get and needed some advice. i want a suspension for autocross and drift. i'm planning on cusco front and rear strut bars, but i can't decide on the sway bars and coilovers. i was gonna get suspension tech sway bars, but then i saw the tanabe's had stiffer settings. is stiffer always better?
for coilovers i was planning on the tien ss, but then someone told me about the kei office gx. whats the best choice?

tweak666 said:
i'm sorting out what suspension components i'm gonna get and needed some advice. i want a suspension for autocross and drift. i'm planning on cusco front and rear strut bars, but i can't decide on the sway bars and coilovers. i was gonna get suspension tech sway bars, but then i saw the tanabe's had stiffer settings. is stiffer always better?
for coilovers i was planning on the tien ss, but then someone told me about the kei office gx. whats the best choice?
Pricewise Tein SS (though those are the cheapest adjustable models)
Otherwise Kei Office>TeinSS

i dont think swaybars are a necessity for a supra, but its ur car.
make sure ur bushings r in good shape. Especially the front control arms.
and i would probably get the tein's cause of price/performance.

dont get teins.....please...dont ...get...teins, sway bars...on a supra, please go for it, and bushings, after that, save up for some good coilovers

actually sway bars on a MK3 are not nessary but they are worthwhile and dont get the ST's all of ST's swaybars are turned tawords safty ergo understeer,. The tanabe should be good.

Kei-office for the coilovers man... anything less is.. is... well still pretty good but not as good.

i drifted my mk3 back about 4years ago so i know a few things. 1st off with a mk3 is the weight. my 87 turbo targa weighed 3850 with me in it. i plan on building a mk3 drift car in the near future, but from what i learned is you need to be able to control the weight. stiff is the way to go. i would say atleast 10kg fornt 8kg rear springs. stiff sway bars would be a good idea too. but i would do the coilovers 1st, then see how the car reacts after that. then upgrade sway bars and bushings. just try and get as much weight out of the car as possible. and if it has ABS....GET RID OF IT!! it will cause more harm then good.

doesn't it show the weight on the Title? and by title i mean the paper with the vin of our cars and what not... its in a section that says WT-L-BHP... if its that then mine weighs 2468 (hard top turbo) ... my targa says 3512 there. The targa top also adds weight and (atleast w/ the targa top off) has a weaker chassis than the hard top models (i got the best of both worlds, a sunroof). It sucks that there isn't much that can be done about the MA70 being so front heavy. Im planning a battery relocation for my drift project and i've removed the windsheild washer pump/reservoir to put my catch can there. With the exception of my PS pump and A/C compressor (its gonna be a daily so im keeping both) there isn't much else that can be taken off to lighten the front.

Where is it that you've seen the kei office gx's for the supra? I dont find them anywhere... From what i see, Buddy Club, Cusco, D2, HKS, JIC, Silk Road, Tien, Zeal, etc all make coil overs for the mk3... Atleast on Horsepowerfreaks.com I see the D2's and Tiens as the cheapest but then again cheap isn't always best..

No mean to thread hijack but I've seen A1 Rear camber kits, A1 Rear Toe Rods, JIC front upper control arms (said to make the mk3 handling a bit more agressive(id imagine more oversteer?)) Anyone know about these?

Last edited:
on ziptied theres a build where they put s14 megan tracks coilovers on to it with no modification i recall

very seldomly do parts from different cars just bolt right up.. and the ones that do say so usually go through alot more trouble than they are willing to admit

aww man.....i miss my supra now :(

i thought the curb wieght on the N/A was around 3400 lbs so i doubt the turbo weighs less

anyways, good luck with your supra, theyre beautiful cars..

yeah I've been intiment with the MK3's suspension a few times and I knoe the front struts of a S13 - S14 would not bolt right up, the rears might but the fronts hell no. the supra is double wishbone front and rear and the mounting point on the front lower section is just an eyelet not a double bolt side bracket plus they are longer.

they could be made to fit but the fronts sure as hell dont bolt up with no mods

I've read somewhere that the fc rack and pinion bolts up w/ work... its a custom setup not just bolt up but that should help a bit in steering response and steering angle too... I've also been trying my butt off to find a manual rack for the supra... i think some of the jdm supra's come w/ it but where to find it... anyone know about any of this?

Does anyone have an opinion on the HKS Hipermax II Coilovers from HKS? 30 way damping adjustment, 14/6 spring rates. Aluminum Upper Pillowball Mounts, etc. Only draw back i see so far is the $2040 pricetag. But aside from the price? anyone got any idea's as to how they would do performance wize?

yeah i know... i was kinda surprised when i read it on hks' page. id imagine that the difference is bad... this being the first car im ever going to put coil overs on im still not sure as to how spring rates work... i shoulda thrown this question into my "What Makes A Good Drift Car?" thread from way back when...

I think im more or less getting the HKS or cusco coilovers for my supra. I like what the two brands offer. The supra has alot to offer in all areas. The MA70 & MA71 body style are almost endless for options. A little Costly but i can deal with the money issue...www.horsepowerfreaks.com offers a wide range of suspension parts. Im going to try to get into contact with some friends at Titan motor sports for some advice on damper and spring rates.

Back
Top Bottom