INTERCOOLERS: BAR & PLATE VS. TUBE AND FIN

SpdRcrChk

Spectator
I originally did a little research on this prior to purchasing an intercooler for my car because I was unsure as to the benefits and differences between these two types of intercooler designs. Of course, most people aren't even aware that there are different designs, but anyhow, I thought this might be helpful for those who care to know.

I got it from here: http://www.turbophile.com/technical/faq.html#6

Q. What's the difference between 'bar and plate' and 'tube and fin' style intercoolers and which is better?

Tube and fin intercoolers have curved-edged air galleries which makes the overall capacity less, but offer less resistance to air as it passes through the intercooler to cool the compressed air inside.

Bar and plate intercoolers have more rectangular air galleries which allows a higher volume of compressed air to pass through the intercooler, but because the edges are not as aerodynamic, there is more resistance to cooling airflow passing through the core.

I'm not sure that one design is better than the other, I think its more a case of getting one to suit the application.

Where the 'cooler is mounted in a position where there's very little obstruction to air flow in front of it, the bar and plate would probably be a better choice as it can flow more compressed air. But if the intercooler is in a position where the airflow is not as constant (ie. behind a bumper or number plate), a tube and fin one might be the more sensible option because though it flows less compressed air, it offers less resistance to the cooling airflow going through it.

I guess it's all a matter of finding a balance between the volume of compressed air flowing inside the intercooler and how much external cooling air can flow through it.

Note what I placed in bold letters. :D I went a little further and found some pics to help you determine the difference if you ever find yourself purchasing a used intercooler for which the specs might be unknown:

TUBE AND FIN
ft002a.JPG

BAR AND PLATE
ft002j.JPG

~SpdRcrChk

Bar and plate - weighs more, lower pressure drop, poor external aerodynamics, able to withstand greater psi

Tube and fin - lighter, better external aerodynamics, higher pressure drop, limited in strength

The truth is, for 99% of us a tube/fin app would be better. Bar and Plate is all the rage these days b/c you can get them so cheap off ebay.

Back
Top Bottom