Improvements within the Drift Community...your thoughts?

As fans, enthusiasts, drivers, sponsors, or etc...list some of the various elements that you think would help improve the lines of communication and the overall experience within the Drift Community.

***For example: As an enthusiast, I just attended NOPI Drift. There were a lot of teams and drivers I saw there that I would like to know more about. Some I've seen throughout the season at qualifier events, some I've never seen. It would be really nice to have an archive including their setups, background experience and possibly even have a line of communication to these teams. Perhaps they design a specific part, or can recommend good practice positions.***

The main idea is to start gathering useful information and create a database easily accessible to the public. So throw me some different ideas that you can think could be of benefit in this project.

PM here or email me: redemption11@comcast.net
- Mac

^ Yes. Thank you.

If you notice, there's an average of 2-3 events going on in Florida every month. The problem is people wanting to bust the money out of their pockets and actually make a trip. Unless the event is at their door step, they will say "maybe next one".

agreed.

I would also like to see events in more locations or different setups each time, etc. You guys have got it a little better down there but for up here in Orlando its just the OSW events, which is fine, but there hasnt been anything else going on really since last year besides OSW and the occasional Gainesville event.

and like, i know its not easy to just create an event anywhere we want, but it's just something i would like to see, more events at different places.

drftns14 said:
less fucking posers---and more real drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!!! i'd love to go to moroso. i live in fort myers. so i'm in the middle of everything. miami is a 1 1/2 hour drive wpb is a 2 1/2 hour drive, orlando is a 4 hour drive gainesville like 5-6. the last time i went to an event i spent too much money on tires and i got fucked with my bills. and now i spent 1300$ on coilovers so i'm in the hole. i gotta go tire hunting at a few shops this weekend.

its_mac_bitch said:
As fans, enthusiasts, drivers, sponsors, or etc...list some of the various elements that you think would help improve the lines of communication and the overall experience within the Drift Community.

***For example: As an enthusiast, I just attended NOPI Drift. There were a lot of teams and drivers I saw there that I would like to know more about. Some I've seen throughout the season at qualifier events, some I've never seen. It would be really nice to have an archive including their setups, background experience and possibly even have a line of communication to these teams. Perhaps they design a specific part, or can recommend good practice positions.***

The main idea is to start gathering useful information and create a database easily accessible to the public. So throw me some different ideas that you can think could be of benefit in this project.

PM here or email me: redemption11@comcast.net
- Mac

In response to your example, I'd say it's been happening over here for a while now. For instance, when AP2 Drift started a topic asking for help on how to slide his S2000, experienced people assisted him in whatever way they could. And thats something I like to see. If by any chance another S2000 owner happens to be browsing the forum now or at a later date, the information in that topic could help them out. What we can try to do is get these teams into the site and have them be a part of this community. Have them share whatever information they can to benefit everyone. But I can't expect that to happen anytime soon. At times I wish there was one big site where all the drifters in Florida can go to and hang out. If that were the case, I bet there would be more people helping everyone out. I wouldn't mind trying it. Changing this site to be geared for all of the Florida instead of SFL, but would everyone be okay with it? Thats a tough question, because we could be okay with it but the other guys up North could not.

Going back to topic, after doing some further thinking, I just realized an idea that was brought up by someone else on this site. Looking back towards the beginning of the site, I'd say part of the reason why theres a few of us that are a tight knit group is because of the meets we had started. The meets gave us a face to the screennames we interact with each day online. It gave us a way to get to know each other better. And among many things, it gave us a way to get along with each other better. It's part of the reason why we don't take shit seriously when people say things that would normally bother someone. And when theres someone who gets bothered at what someone says to them, thats because most of the time it's someone we haven't met or hung out with personally. MasterRex came to mind when I typed that. rwdrift, Mr. Erick Mahle, brought up the idea that we should have BBQ's or events where we could gather everyone from the site to come and hang out. Doing so can help everyone get to know each other better and in turn can make the community a better place to be in. To summarize, more meets!

This next part I had typed out but in the end I concluded that it's not really relevant to this topic. But since I feel it's important, I'm including anyway:

To the new people who are learning how to drift, do as much as research as possible. Don't be afraid to make a new topic and ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask for help at a drift event. If you spinout, don't be embarrassed. We've all done it at one point or another. Same thing with crashing. It's your job to learn as much as you can both online and offline. Doing so can make you a better driver. Research and/or learn what you might ask? Initiation, braking, throttle control, e-braking, tire setups, and suspension setups to name a few. Theres a whole lot more that goes into play that Initial D doesn't show you. ;)

ALEXIS said:
More events.

IMO, we can't have too many events. I think there should be an event every other month. Having an event every month didn't work out for both Ter-Tech and DrumFunKen. A lot of the drivers that go to these events have low income. So in turn, it's not easy for them to have their cars drift-ready every month. If theres an event every other month or later, it gives all the drivers more time and a better chance to attend the next event.

rwdrift said:
^ Yes. Thank you.

If you notice, there's an average of 2-3 events going on in Florida every month. The problem is people wanting to bust the money out of their pockets and actually make a trip. Unless the event is at their door step, they will say "maybe next one".

But you can't really blame them. You have to take into consideration that if something happens to their car at a drift event thats 4 hours away from where they live, it's not going to be easy getting their car back. I can think of how lucky slide-ways-for-five-days was that Ter-Tech was there to give his car a lift back home, even if the event was 2 hours away.

drift a 944 said:
agreed.

I would also like to see events in more locations or different setups each time, etc. You guys have got it a little better down there but for up here in Orlando its just the OSW events, which is fine, but there hasnt been anything else going on really since last year besides OSW and the occasional Gainesville event.

and like, i know its not easy to just create an event anywhere we want, but it's just something i would like to see, more events at different places.

You guys are going through what we went through a couple of years ago. Only place we had to slide in was Hialeah Speedway (Oval track like OSW). When that got taken away from us, we had nothing local for over a year. Thats why some of us started going up there to OSW. I can only hope The Orlando Drift Coalition or anyone else can come up with more places for you guys up North to slide in. We know what you're going through and we know it ain't pretty. :(

i think the way events are run will help the community alot. No more of this autocross style set up for runs. 4 runs then pull off. We need a lot or small track where laps can be done and you pull on as you are ready. last all day, no pressure, time to relax and socialize change some tires go out and slide pull off when it's too crowded out there.........um basically the way we have all the Naples kart track get togethers. I think that track has had a huge impact on this community from improving lots of our skills to bringing us together as a group of friends. Nobody gets greedy for runs we share the track, tires, food, drinks, and pull Sergio out of the swamp. Oval tracks just arent doing it for me so the only thing i can think of is to build our own black hills circuit like in Altanta. We need to actually start a fund and find property to do this. Maybe we should pressure Boddy Deihl into making this happen. I see one of the problems being the wide open 3rd gear snobs that want a track with some huge turns which means lots of land and turns that alot of people can't learn shit on. which caters to some but not all. A track twice the size of the Naples kart track would be ideal. with a small pit area. nice and smooth like a japanese tracks and we wouldnt need tires every 2 laps also. No walls means less loss of cars. A track like this thats open every weekend would be easier to plan for and not stressing that you'll miss out on an event. which will make people alot happier. shit even a central or main location would still be okay. i'd drive 2-3 hours one way every Saturday to have a place like that. then maybe 1 outside of Miami then one later up North then the black hills circuit this could really benefit a local series like the Pro am one posted recently.

POSERS!!!!!!!! Where????? not on this forum. well except for the girls most have left. This forum is the real deal anybody that doesnt drift 1. probably has a broken car or 2 still helps out at events in someway 3 both of the above or 4. a quiet less noticable poser bug that is easily squished and we be delt with.

Last edited:
BLADDER_MASTER said:
But you can't really blame them. You have to take into consideration that if something happens to their car at a drift event thats 4 hours away from where they live, it's not going to be easy getting their car back. I can think of how lucky slide-ways-for-five-days was that Ter-Tech was there to give his car a lift back home, even if the event was 2 hours away.

I still can. You are sugar coating the whole idea.

Estie was not so lucky either in an OSW event. I remember him speaking of something breaking at an event there, and Mike (Ayes) had to tow his ass with a single cam 240 on the side of the road.

This is drifting. Sh*t happens eventually and driver's should be aware of that. Even a driver with a month's worth of experience (track or street) knows that you're pushing a car hard and things might break.

You can find ways to cover yourself. At a drift event, there is always someone willing to help out. I believe it was Rob (drumfunken) that crashed his s14 in OSW and was allowed to keep the car in storage there until he found a cost efficient way to get the car out of there. There's also AAA, which gives you a variety of different programs, all which cover the travel distance one way from an event at a very reasonable cost. These programs apply to anywhere you are. Whether breaking down street sliding in the next county or in Orlando.

Greg (SilEightyBoi) also crashed at OSW. With a few supplies around the track he was able to rig his car to make the trip back home. The same happened to Jose (DhSil80), and he was able to get the car rigged well enough to make it home the very next day.

Now, you can argue that drifting is all about levels of commitment. But we cannot have a 1:10 ratio of people that are willing to plan and go to far away events with contingencies to people who just want to attend an event where it's all good if they break down, because they are a stone throw's away from their house.

I'm glad to see more people getting in this sport. I really am. Some people are determined to learn no matter what. And it's not only someone who has a 15 year old 240sx worth less than a set of wheels with very little to lose. People with new cars, people with cars that have quite a bit invested into them. New mustangs, Rx-8s, s2000s, etc.

Now I'm saying that more people have to step it up and plan contingencies every time they go to an event. Its not that hard. Many here travel with essential quick fixes: JB Weld, Zipties, etc... Rick (240SicknessX) even traveled with a spare diff on his car.

There are so many cases where we overcame a mechanical problem... mainly because we are not scarred of dealing with it.

- Erick

yea fuck that shit. the event i had to get pulled down the t.p. was ocala g.p. 5 hrs away.

i go to events period. if there is one within 500 miles i am there driving no radio, no ac, just tyres and gasoline.

slide-ways-for-five-days said:
yea fuck that shit. the event i had to get pulled down the t.p. was ocala g.p. 5 hrs away.

i go to events period. if there is one within 500 miles i am there driving no radio, no ac, just tyres and gasoline.

Now that's dedication!

I'm basically just trying to gather ideas to make the community a bit more efficient. And continue to give access to those that aren't able to travel vast distances. I for one like to stay updated with the scores from various pro-am series. It gives me a view as to who may be on the rise.

-Other ideas are giving a very direct layout of the track for which events will be held, so driver's can get an idea of what they're dealing with and how to budget appropriately. Just trying to feel out what service could be provided in this sport, that's either not available or needs to be more efficient. Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming!

rwdrift said:
I still can. You are sugar coating the whole idea.

Estie was not so lucky either in an OSW event. I remember him speaking of something breaking at an event there, and Mike (Ayes) had to tow his ass with a single cam 240 on the side of the road.

This is drifting. Sh*t happens eventually and driver's should be aware of that. Even a driver with a month's worth of experience (track or street) knows that you're pushing a car hard and things might break.

You can find ways to cover yourself. At a drift event, there is always someone willing to help out. I believe it was Rob (drumfunken) that crashed his s14 in OSW and was allowed to keep the car in storage there until he found a cost efficient way to get the car out of there. There's also AAA, which gives you a variety of different programs, all which cover the travel distance one way from an event at a very reasonable cost. These programs apply to anywhere you are. Whether breaking down street sliding in the next county or in Orlando.

Greg (SilEightyBoi) also crashed at OSW. With a few supplies around the track he was able to rig his car to make the trip back home. The same happened to Jose (DhSil80), and he was able to get the car rigged well enough to make it home the very next day.

Now, you can argue that drifting is all about levels of commitment. But we cannot have a 1:10 ratio of people that are willing to plan and go to far away events with contingencies to people who just want to attend an event where it's all good if they break down, because they are a stone throw's away from their house.

I'm glad to see more people getting in this sport. I really am. Some people are determined to learn no matter what. And it's not only someone who has a 15 year old 240sx worth less than a set of wheels with very little to lose. People with new cars, people with cars that have quite a bit invested into them. New mustangs, Rx-8s, s2000s, etc.

Now I'm saying that more people have to step it up and plan contingencies every time they go to an event. Its not that hard. Many here travel with essential quick fixes: JB Weld, Zipties, etc... Rick (240SicknessX) even traveled with a spare diff on his car.

There are so many cases where we overcame a mechanical problem... mainly because we are not scarred of dealing with it.

- Erick

True, but there are those who are scared of dealing with it and don't want to go through the hassle and stress of their car breaking down four hours away. I still think you shouldn't blame them because you can't expect everyone to be as dedicated as you guys to the sport. We still need those drivers to help support the events since theres not enough dedicated drivers to fill up all the spots.

While my car is running......... Just about everyday I get at least one slide in. Whether it be taking the back road behind the shopping center, on ramps to the highway, or having the entire right turn lane to your self with a green light. My car gets used everyday. I kinda think of it as a constant test of what is going to break or wear prematurely. If I see something is weird while im doing the usual around town then I can address it, fix it, prevent it from happening. Well as time goes by if something is going to break it would have already broke. Highway miles are easy to and from the event, and while you are at the event, make sure you have oil in the car, its clean, proper level. Proper coolant level, lug nuts are tight, engine responding well, ect. I think about what can break and if there is a possibility of it breaking, and I can fit in in my car, I will take it. Shit happens, but im usually ready for it. If you keep your head on strait and you drive with in your limits you should be okay.

Improvements in the drift community......... Im tired of engines self destructing. And if it has not happened to you yet, it will. We have enough events. I really wish the kart track was not torn up, it would have spawned a new breed of florida drifters, so i guess if we had a track that was always there, something challenging enough to where you are always trying something new. That would be an improvement. It definitely was an improvement for myself while I drove on the kart track for 4 consecutive weeks.

Last edited:
I second rick, the cart track was badass, and wouldve helped alot more ppl if it hadn't been partially demolished. It was definately a new experience, and fun and we kept it organized.

Back
Top Bottom