Import drag racing star Papadakis switches to drifting

BLADDER_MASTER

is no more
Original import-racing hero Stephan Papadakis (Competition, June 18, 2001) has dropped import drag racing entirely for 2006 to concentrate fully on drifting.

Papadakis will drive the AEM Memphis Car Audio Drift S2000, which is to say he will drift a Honda S2000. Papadakis won titles and held records in most forms of so-called import, mostly front-wheel-drive drag racing. Papadakis’ yellow tube-frame Civic was the car to beat for several seasons before he switched to Pro RWD last year in the NHRA Xplod Sport Compact Series.

Papadakis will compete in seven Formula Drift events and two D1 GP competitions this year.

Does this mean drifting has supplanted drag racing in youth appeal?

“It’s the new hot thing,†Papadakis said. “It’s still fresh.â€

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/FREE/60109014/1036

Thats interesting, at least its apparent that drifting is gaining more and more interest in the United States. This is also insinuating that many people have moved from being solely interested in drag racing, to shifting their interest to drifting.

He seems like a cool guy from what I hear. I heard he was going to drift more in 2006 but didn't know until now that he will just put effort into drifting. The thing I liked about him was he had an open mind when first started out drifting. I guess like many people he got hooked, I can't blame him :D . His new S2k is one bad *** machine, I think many of you have seen it in magazines(if you haven't just look below). Its was in the SEMA show and the most recent D1 USA vs Japan.

_MG_6189.jpg

From Modified Magazine

I have mad respect for papa. He started doing this for fun in his own car, and was hooked. He has crazy potential

He also had the resources to get training and private practices from some of the best. Many of us would have "crazy potential" with that kind of luck.

His crash at irwindale did not affect the frame so he should still be using the same car (after a fender, wheels, suspension and some other body work). He drifted well in 05' which gives him a shoe in for 06'. I wish him luck!

ive seen video of him connecting turns better then 90% of the other drivers i was very impressed with him driving the s2000 last year.

yea i saw a video that had his story.he wanted to switch over and try sumthing different so he bought a beater 240 and practiced n lotz and then talked to his sponsor he already had....must b nice..lol

....yup, this further reinforces what i said like tw omonths ago....''drifting will grow to a large scale in the US'' ....and one day it will be ridiculously huge..on a global scale.

''gotta get-in where you fit-in!''

J

True, drifting is addicted, i got hooked on it by snow drifting, then when my friend showed me how to take corners on dray cement, i then realized all this RiCey thing about going str8 has become fairly boring. "whoopee i run 12's" And after going 12's whats after that...nothing much.. but with Drifting you can put it to use into everything..like touge racing, autocrossing, street drifting, and other crazy things drift includes in...But thats Good *** hell that PAPA Has now shifted into doing SLIDES

Hill_TOP_Drfter said:
True, drifting is addictive, i got hooked on it by snow drifting, then when my friend showed me how to take corners on dray cement, i then realized all this RiCey thing about going str8 has become fairly boring. "whoopee i run 12's" And after going 12's whats after that...nothing much.. but with Drifting you can put it to use into everything..like touge racing, autocrossing, street drifting, and other crazy things drift includes in...But thats Good *** hell that PAPA Has now shifted into doing SLIDES

fixed for ya, And hells yea, i'v only had minimal wheel time, but riding along in inside IS NUTS!!!! its like no other, fk 12 sec rides. chics like the 4 minute curve buster!

Back
Top Bottom