I think I finally figured out wtf I want to do with my life

Well .. after getting my Bachelor in Accounting and my MBA in accounting .. I have no interest in the corporate lifestyle.

My passion is modifying cars and driving them. I know I am much to old to become a professional race car driver for a living, and I don't wish to do so anyway. I also realize that owning a shop is starting to become overrated as the low quality of these hole in the wall shops are ruining it for a large majority of the others.

I have fooled around with the following ideas:
1. Opening an all in one auto-camp. I.e. have a road-racing track, a large empty lot that can be set up for auto-x, a quarter mile track. I would also like to include a "rent-a-lift" where people can come and work on there cars during events and/or during off times. I think it could work with enough startup cash and proper marketing (hence my MBA does serve some purpose).
I was thinking about buying about 20-30 acres out in the everglades.

I know theres some substantial costs associated with it, atleast 500,000 to start up, and then about 30,000 a year in insurance.

What do you guys think?

2. Starting an Aftermarket Used Parts store. Basically it would specialize in like new parts. It would function as follows; we would offer cash/paypal on the spot, to anyone looking to get rid of parts. We would acquire the parts at a price thats somewhat lower then market price (aka price on forums) ... then we would check it for completeness and functionality ... then sell it in the middle of the private party price and retail/new price.

The thing I think works here is that buying from the store would serve as a quasi guarentee, and make people feel more comfortable with purchasing. Also it provides a service to both buyers and sellers.

I know this has been tried before, but not in the same manner. Other people have tried to setup sites that resemble a parts trader. However there is no guarentee of quality or warranty.

I was going to do a trial run at towers to see how it would pan out ... and start with stuff like hks bov, turbobacks exhausts, chips, vafc etc.

Opinions?

3. Open a dealership that specializes strictly in autocross, drift vehicles, and race vehicles. I haven't found one yet that does (but then again I havent searched all too hard). I know this leaves a liability open to people fucking the cars up and blaming it on preexisting mods .. but I think its a great way for people to break into scca or other events by buying a presetup package.

Once again, sites have been set up to accumulate listings, but theres not an actual shop that specialized in this.

I'm trying to steer towards the modified car industry as you can tell :)

people dont like to buy modefied cars cus usually they are molested or abused often.

also...people arent usually willing to sellyou something for less so you can make money off it...

and last but not least....sfl is full of lowballer.....your never gonna get what you want for something...

the concept is that instead of waiting a long time to get potential buyers and dealing with all the crap ... they would take a smaller hit and get cash on the spot :)

a lot of people wont settle for making less than what they really can....plus it would have to be a great amount less than what it could go for, for you to be able to run a business of the profit.

Good luck bro. thats a great idea, but you shouldn't quit your day job just yet. lol I also agree with ^ most people, no matter how bad they need to get rid of it, will not be willing to settle for anything less than what they want.... BUT, people will still turn in parts for cash, just like how people trade/turn in a car for thousands less of what the private party value is.... Take my old car for example: private party value was around 2000 and the dealer offered me 800 bucks... even though i didnt turn it in, i would of had it off my hands that same day instead of waiting 2 or 3 months for it to sell for my asking price...

I like #3 the best but an operation such as that would only be successful if you established credibility. It also seems like a volatile operation where one unhappy customer or one borked car could completely ruin any credibility established. It seems like you're eluding to providing some type of warranty as well which I don't think would work out at all considering the factory would not be backing the cars or the parts. It would also take a large amount of capital to start an operation such as this b/c you'd need to have a good shop with a large variety of expensive equipment. You'd also need some really good mechanics which is not easy to find.

Option #1 would more than likely cost too much to start up. Option #2 I can see working in theory but how would you determine what is a good part or a bad part? You'd need a slew of test bed vehicles or run of really good luck.

Id say go for #1. an all in one shop. There are always ppl who want stuff fixed or added on to their car. I know I need some good help RIGHT NOW. But trust worthy people that arent in the biz to screw you over are hard to find. so make one for us already. =D

my opinion is that if u went to school i think u should follow up on something thats making nice money now. than u can have allllll the time AND MONEY in the world to tinker,modify,and race cars

i think none of those buisnesses would do good in south florida make money find shit ppl really want or need CARS AINT IT BELIEVE ME sfldrifters is like a half a handfull and with prices on gas and inflation doubing like every decade idk seems like a bad idea to me

GET MONEY than follow your passion im 19 and was hell bent on goin to uti and starting my own shop blah blah blah talked to ppl saw the struggle and said fuck that im now starting kieser college for radiological technology why??? theres a shortage of them in south florida and medicine makes money so

Last edited:
^I agree with that.

Becoma a CPA and make that dolla. With management skills too (MBA), you'll bank soon enough.

HurleySurf: I wish u the best of luck with whatver u decide...
do what u gotta do and live out ur dream man. Go for it!:bigthumbu

my opinion is that if u went to school i think u should follow up on something thats making nice money now. than u can have allllll the time AND MONEY in the world to tinker,modify,and race cars

i think none of those buisnesses would do good in south florida make money find shit ppl really want or need CARS AINT IT BELIEVE ME sfldrifters is like a half a handfull and with prices on gas and inflation doubing like every decade idk seems like a bad idea to me

GET MONEY than follow your passion im 19 and was hell bent on goin to uti and starting my own shop blah blah blah talked to ppl saw the struggle and said fuck that im now starting kieser college for radiological technology why??? theres a shortage of them in south florida and medicine makes money so

i agree with you on that.im 19 as well and was hell-bent on UTI but then i talked to some ppl and heard the automotive industry is not what it used to be. then again i dont have the attention span for anything else except cars so even though it aint a good idea im still gonna shoot for it

Well .. after getting my Bachelor in Accounting and my MBA in accounting .. I have no interest in the corporate lifestyle.

My passion is modifying cars and driving them. I know I am much to old to become a professional race car driver for a living, and I don't wish to do so anyway. I also realize that owning a shop is starting to become overrated as the low quality of these hole in the wall shops are ruining it for a large majority of the others.

I have fooled around with the following ideas:
1. Opening an all in one auto-camp. I.e. have a road-racing track, a large empty lot that can be set up for auto-x, a quarter mile track. I would also like to include a "rent-a-lift" where people can come and work on there cars during events and/or during off times. I think it could work with enough startup cash and proper marketing (hence my MBA does serve some purpose).
I was thinking about buying about 20-30 acres out in the everglades.

I know theres some substantial costs associated with it, atleast 500,000 to start up, and then about 30,000 a year in insurance.

What do you guys think?

2. Starting an Aftermarket Used Parts store. Basically it would specialize in like new parts. It would function as follows; we would offer cash/paypal on the spot, to anyone looking to get rid of parts. We would acquire the parts at a price thats somewhat lower then market price (aka price on forums) ... then we would check it for completeness and functionality ... then sell it in the middle of the private party price and retail/new price.

The thing I think works here is that buying from the store would serve as a quasi guarentee, and make people feel more comfortable with purchasing. Also it provides a service to both buyers and sellers.

I know this has been tried before, but not in the same manner. Other people have tried to setup sites that resemble a parts trader. However there is no guarentee of quality or warranty.

I was going to do a trial run at towers to see how it would pan out ... and start with stuff like hks bov, turbobacks exhausts, chips, vafc etc.

Opinions?

3. Open a dealership that specializes strictly in autocross, drift vehicles, and race vehicles. I haven't found one yet that does (but then again I havent searched all too hard). I know this leaves a liability open to people fucking the cars up and blaming it on preexisting mods .. but I think its a great way for people to break into scca or other events by buying a presetup package.

Once again, sites have been set up to accumulate listings, but theres not an actual shop that specialized in this.

I'm trying to steer towards the modified car industry as you can tell :)

i say #1 seems like the best course of action. a good all in one shop where everyone can go and test their setups and work on theirs cars and stuff. seems like you can make the most money from this as their aren't too many liabilities. GL bro

#1 - the track owner doent make $$$ from owning the track its the promoter (Steve McQueen)
#2 - fail
#3 - been done and does not make money (ie. [stupid example] www.modifiedcartrader.com/ or http://ebay.com )

all accounting isnt all corp.... hell you could do accounting for automotive purposes
(IE. race event finances, motor co cpa, private auto collection cpa, Barrett Jackson cpa, etc etc..)

all in all... i hope u put ur degree to work b4 your ex calls you for her cash... (sallie last name mae)

Last edited:
Ive found that you need to keep your hobbies separate from your profession or else you will find yourself working for free. Dont work for free.

Find a specialized area where your degrees are most valuable so that you will have the money to support your hobby.

Ive found that you need to keep your hobbies separate from your profession or else you will find yourself working for free. Dont work for free.

Find a specialized area where your degrees are most valuable so that you will have the money to support your hobby.

...a cpa with a masters degree doing accounting for pro drifters...

..somehow sounds great, like that racer in tokyo extreme racer zero kinda way...

...but also souds kinda bad cuz "id want a chick to be my cpa" kinda way...

haha .. :) yea i know theres tons to do with accounting. but yea.

I'm actually talking to some freinds and may possibly putting #2 into play, however also including a manufacturing and importing parts division like headers, manifolds, high demand parts that no-one can seem to produce (i.e. hard top for RX7 convertibles) and what not ... and saleing hard to find japanese market parts. I'll have the business plan done this weekend I hope.

i would say, congrats on your degrees and accomplishments. accounting is a fine field esp. if you tryin to have a business survive, esp. a new business.

not to say these ideas haven't been thought about or brought up, but the way the economy is now, im guessin florida wouldn't mind selling off my acreage of everglades, but then again. everyone expects the economy to be back on the incline at about 2010, so im not sure how enviromentalist will feel about abusing preserved habitats for any motorsports. unless u got somebody on the inside, i wish you the best of luck anywayz. oh and idea number, yea i have that one in the holster

Back
Top Bottom