I have awesome luck (stripped block with banjo bolt)

Sketchy564

Driver
To make it short, i swapped my blown turbo two nights ago. Putting the new one in, me and my friend were working on different things at once to get things done and put back together quicker. He was the one who put in the banjo bolt for the oil line that goes to the turbo tward the bottom of the block. Im guessing he put it in crooked or something, because when i started the car, it began leaking oil down there. We figured okay, it needs to be tightened more... well when we went about this, it just kept spinning.

Taking the bolt out we found metal strippings from the block! Awesome! With my luck this would happen... and with the actual block and not the bolt (im guessing cause its an aluminum block and the bolts probably tougher). Another friend had a good idea, and we tried removing all the crush washers to see if we could catch deeper threads, and some how, miraculously, this actually worked and it didnt leak.

I cleaned the area with brake parts cleaner to check for leaks. Didnt leak under idle with cold oil (higher oil pressure), and not under mild reving either. With the car and oil all warmed up and not leaking i did a couple of hard pulls to see if it would leak, and when we got back it was still dry

This is good, since it means i can still drive around and get to work, but this also means that that bolt is only held on by like two or three loops of threads. Meaning it can easyly back out, or break the threads at any given moment... i dont need that to happen

Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do? I was thinking possibly i could re thread it, but i dont know if that will actually work on a block. In the mean time ill be checking that banjo bolt every time i get into the car and ill be ordering a cheap prosport oil pressure gauge asap to keep an eye out on it, but i still want to fix this as soon as possible so i can take my car to the next drift event and not have to worry about this. And so i can drive period without this risk.

any help/ideas/suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Cliff Notes: Swapped turbo, friend put in banjo bolt for oil line and somehow stripped threads on block. Leaked oil, removed crush washers, now doesnt leak. Problem: Bolt only held on by 2 or 3 loops of threads. Huge risk to drive like this. Solution? no fucking clue... wanna help?

I tryed using 10 zip ties attached to eachother around the whole engine to keep the bolt on the block, but they melted :/

aight check it,

the block is alum. the bolt is some sort of steel.

your going to get a helicoil kit for the thread on the banjo.

drill block with bit that comes in kit, thread with tool in kit and install a helicoil.

so drill hole, tap hole, install helicoil.( your installing steel threads into the block)

it should all come in a kit, except maybe the drill bit. now the drill bit HAS to be the right size or the helicoil wont fit right.

it should take like no time once you get the line back out.

aight check it,

drill block with bit that comes in kit, thread with tool in kit and install a helicoil.

so drill hole, tap hole, install helicoil.( your installing steel threads into the block)

it should all come in a kit, except maybe the drill bit. now the drill bit HAS to be the right size or the helicoil wont fit right.

this.

happened to me about 4 months ago. first i shit myself. then bought a helicoil kit and turned out to be a easier process than i thought. still hasnt leaked to this day.

I know my input doesn't mean much to you but maybe you should step back and look at everything over again.

Why are you posting this.
"your friend" is responsible and should man up accept the situation and take care of what he fucked up.

Or you can take it to a real shop who would take care of their mistake and not let you do this

I tryed using 10 zip ties attached to eachother around the whole engine to keep the bolt on the block, but they melted :/

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Yea.that came off a little harsh reading it over but that's not intended.

And pre apology if I'm assuming wrong information that you left unclear.

Furthermore, good luck with your car but if it was taken to a real shop this thread wouldn't exist and a positive feedback thread would be posted instead for the shop

Last edited:
Why are you posting this. Your fucking stupid and ignorant.
"your friend" is responsible and should finally man up accept the situation and take care of what he fucked up.

Or you can stop nut riding and take it to a real shop who would take care of their mistake and not let you do this

Let's be honest here, he's good with simple electrical stuff like battery relocation or fuel pump rewire or hids etc. But not so good at anything else.

its really funny how u think that i was the one to do this job on anthonys car
when it wasnt me....
first off ive been werking on cars for 16yrs....
since u were still shitting ur diapers...
i didnt want to touch ur car cause it was so fuking janky
but u asked me to help u and since u were favians friend i helped u
ur sr20det was wired fuked up and it was dumping fuel into ur oil system
so ur bearings were on the way out.period
u can say watever u want to...about me but i kno my shit electrical and mechanical....
and i can shift my sr20det at 7500 rpms on a daily basis u can even ask sketchy cause him and benarovi r witness to this
so stop being a fuking hater

aight check it,

Thanks i appreciate the help. Another friend that was there actually suggested this, and it sounds like the best idea. But he was also saying that in order to do this i will probably need to pull the engine out... were you able to do this in the engine bay, or did you have the engine out of the car? Also, you're saying the drill bit HAS to be the right size. If its not included in the kit how will i know what size is the right size? Im assuming its going to be a huge bit

bro give up on cars....u've been having problems since I've been on here
Go suck a fat one. Yes thats true, and that really sucks for me, but you do realize that wont make me give up, right?

I know my input doesn't mean much to you but maybe you should step back and look at everything over again.

Why are you posting this. Your fucking stupid and ignorant.
"your friend" is responsible and should finally man up accept the situation and take care of what he fucked up.

Or you can stop nut riding and take it to a real shop who would take care of their mistake and not let you do this

Let's be honest here, he's good with simple electrical stuff like battery relocation or fuel pump rewire or hids etc. But not so good at anything else.

I have more stuff to quote if you feel the need to rebuttal:bigthumbu

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? You realize steve had no part to do with this, right? Im assuming thats what you are trying to get at. How does this make me stupid and ignorant in any way? Please explain. I rather not spend money i dont have to pay a shop to change my turbo, and id rather do it at a friends house and learn in the process, so this makes me a nut rider? to who?

this.

happened to me about 4 months ago. first i shit myself. then bought a helicoil kit and turned out to be a easier process than i thought. still hasnt leaked to this day.

Glad i am not the only one lol. Im not freaking out too bad, as its holding in there and i got lucky, but like i said in the first post, i want to take care of this asap so i dont have to worry about all my oil randomly draining while im driving lol. Sounds like the helicoil kit is the way to go. Did this happen with the same spot? or somewhere else

also curious, were you able to do this with the engine still in the car? Seems like a pain in the ass spot to get to, even if you remove stuff, but it might be possible.

Last edited:
You need to drill the hole so unless you have a small ass drill you'll need to pull the motor or buy the angled drill which is expensive.

Also my posts still stand, why isn't your friend fixing the problem he created. :gayfight:

You need to drill the hole so unless you have a small ass drill you'll need to pull the motor or buy the angled drill which is expensive.

Also my posts still stand, why isn't your friend fixing the problem he created. :gayfight:

Yeah thats what i figured... shits pretty gay, but whatever, gotta do what you gotta do. This can probably be done with the motor not even pulled all the way out, like just at an angle

He will help me fix the problem, and when i buy the helicoil kit it will most likely be done at his place again

I was told to suck a fat one. I was being genuine with my post dude. You are one of the most accident prone people I've ever seen. Just buy a nice car and keep your hands away from the engine bay.

I was told to suck a fat one. I was being genuine with my post dude. You are one of the most accident prone people I've ever seen. Just buy a nice car and keep your hands away from the engine bay.

you did read the part that said my friend fucked the threads up and not me, right?

and either way, no thank you. Id rather keep fucking shit up and learning than "giving up" like you suggest

Back
Top Bottom