How to solder

we'll have to have a contest. its been awhile since the days of that mangled SR harness I dropped off to you 2 years ago!!!

fucking soldering XLR cable Everyday at house of blues has definitely upped my abilites. I can even do most circuit boards as well!! Woohoo!!

Its all about Tinning the wires and Just say no to cold solder joints.

Last edited:
say no to tinning!!! thats the worst way to do it retard!! that causes resistance and weak joints! if the circuit over heats, the wires fall apart!

what you do is this..... strip the wires, then interlace them together like a twisted rope, then solder them together, heating the bottom, feeding the top. the solder soaks in. not only do you have a smooth joint the same diamitor as the single wire, but its a strong joint.

boomshakalakah i win.

Well that would just depend on what you soldering now wouldn't it!!!!! :D

Spicing to cables together sure!! Your method very practical.

But Say A XLR connector as such below.

tin03.jpg

You would strip the wire back, Hold the Iron Under the cable while feeding solder down into the top melting all the way through, but not drips hanging. Then take connector Insert solder into connector heat metal surface of connector solder melts in the hole. Now take cable insert into whats remaining of hole heat connector till solder melts on both the cable and inside then pull away and let cool. My solder once supported one of these when it fell off a truss from a ratchet strap breaking.
marmac2000-l.jpg
they weigh about 80lbs

I guess it would just be safe to say different practices for different applications! :)

DrumFunKen said:
we'll have to have a contest. its been awhile since the days of that mangled SR harness I dropped off to you 2 years ago!!!

fucking soldering XLR cable Everyday at house of blues has definitely upped my abilites. I can even do most circuit boards as well!! Woohoo!!

Its all about Tinning the wires and Just say no to cold solder joints.

+1 rob is the man at soldering i thought i did fine but he schooled me!

i also build megasquirts, the harnesses, and full chassis prepped harnesses with working blinkers, hazards and brake lights. now i win. hahaha

whats the chassis? i do alot with it though. i remove all the fuse boxes from the engine bay and what not. theyre all gon.e not moved... but REMOVED. everything gets sheathed in romex nylon weave.

you will have:

headlights
tailights
blinkers
hazards
engine harness connection.
ignition
fuel pump
gauge cluster

anytihng more than that you need, let me know.

i eliminate:

horn
wipers
headlight up/down
a/c
radio
power windows
power seat belts
rear defrost
3rd brake light
cruise control
etc
lower engine harness gets eliminated also

but when i do it, i also redo the whole engine harness so that it works with the new body harness.
everything gets moved into the passenger compartment.

takes the factory body harness from about 48lbs to around 9lbs. its a huge difference.

send me all wiring

$700 + return shipping

you have no idea how great it turns out. the only fuse boxes left are the one already inside by your foot and the main one from the engine bay, but its actually half the size now (box comes apart) and only a few fuses left.

youll have to buy a firewall battery grommet and run a battery cable from that to your starter and move the battery inside the car to go to the other side of the grommet. the grommets i use fit perfectly in the heater hose holes.

Back
Top Bottom