Homestead FARA demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe,

I thank you for hooking it up with a pass today so I didn't have to pay spectator and whatnot. That was really generous, but I'll still speak my mind. FARA isn't a free drift event.

I mean, unless someone is handing free cages and fire suits, I don't see how it's free. You gotta spend some coin to be able to participate. Oh, then you also gotta make it look good. Otherwise it's nothing but spin cycle fest. I mean if some 17 year old kid showed up in Vaughn Gittin's Mustang, he sure would look presentable, but would he be allowed in the demo?

By no means am I saying I'm not thankful for what you're trying to do for us. But I still don't get the point of making things harder. Granted you're not asking for much, but your dissapointment in the drifters seems to be so huge that you just want to let out your frustration with whatever (pointless if I may) rules you can think of.

If the entire D1 truck showed up at FARA 20 mins before the demo you would turn them down? Again, not saying that being early doesn't have it's benefits, just that these rules really do seem pointless.

Think the problem through. What's the problem? Turnout? How will imposing all of what you suggest going to help it? And what are some ideas that can actually improve/guarantee turnouts?

And go from there.

- Erick

PS: And while on this note.... also think of how many drivers you should cap the event at. Great turnout at the last FARA event.... terrible organization on part of the track staff and the peope pairing the drifters. So clearly it didn't seem like there was a lot of preparation for a huge turnout either. And by huge I mean what... 10 drivers?

not trying to start anything with you e-dawg but what other places are allowing drifting tandems on something other than redneck road courses(ovalz hehehe) without roll-cages ?? and homestead > countyline x99 just in case you wanted to use that one.

and about not being free because you need all that junk, look at the list of drivers. obviously he only asks people to come who already have the recommended safety equipment. that argument needs to be thrown out the window right there before it goes any further IMO.

if someone showed up in vaughn gitten jr.s car, and they have never drifted before or have any experience they can show for it, they wont let them drive. take for example the last homestead fara, the people in charge of setting up drivers list fought against letting a certain driver in because they felt he wasnt experienced enough even though he had a cage, suit, gloves, etc. so no, its not THAT easy to get on the list lol.

be realistic, d1 showing up at fara? not if youre driving!!!!! :eek:

you gotta remember that its a drift demo, you dont put retarded people in your fashion show do you? if that was the case it'd be like comparing drifting to watching your poopies get flushed down the toilet. :bigthumbu

seriously, all he is asking is that you have the proper safety equipment (most likely required by the event hosts, not Moe) and show up on a pre-noted time. look at the people who get there at 7am and dont get to drive until 4pm. it's called check-in time, just like hotels, what happens if you dont make the check-in time? obviously things happen that you cant fathom when driving a motor vehicle, and that is another great reason god gave someone the idea of creating a cell phone!

anyway, i just want to argue with people right now so bring it on!!!

WHOA really? REALLY NOW?

If you want to be invited to a PROFESSIONAL event, and put on a PROFESSIONAL SHOW then man up and be PROFESSIONAL!

IF you are serious/good enough, to think you are DESERVING of FREE track time and a REAL ROAD COURSE then you should understand that IMAGE is part of the game. Get a cage, get a firesuit, and drive for the crowd. Anyone complaining they have to wake up and arrive in the a.m. needs to get their priorities straight. Get the car running/ready the day BEFORE and not at 12 noon that day. Showing up late is a slap in the face to event staff/fans and is very disrespectful to their efforts to give you that track time.

NO ONE is MAKING you drive this event. If you want the priveledge, then be responsible and show up on time. I'll tell you what, IF FD/D1/NOPI held up all its rules, you cannot even LEAVE until the LAST BATTLE is over. Its UNPROFESSIONAL and UNFAIR to the PAYING CUSTOMERS (spectators) who came to look at cars and watch them. When you are invited to drive a demo you are there for the FANS first, and yourself LAST. Whatever issue you have with the event/staff/track/car, remember, people are watching you- some wishing they were as lucky as you to drive a race car, on a race track.

Don't even try to throw up the fact that you do or don't have sponsors for the 'expenses'. Personally, I bought everything for my car myself before sponsors and I'm a poor ass mofo.

Stop crying and put in the work to be respected as a professional, you'll thank those people who pushed you to clean up your act. Otherwise, stick to practice events and don't drive these demos.

Last edited:
I never said anything relating to the drifters. As I recall the driver's list was about twice as big as the turnout, and I'm assuming those people confirmed their presence within at least a weeks notice since Moe went calling around (at least he called me) to confirm if I really was not going to be able to make it.

To those who gave their word and couldn't make it, that's their mess up. I made it evident a month before and again a week before I was not going to be able to participate.

It's more than recommended to look as professional as possible in a demo. Always look your best should be the way to go.

My examples are somewhat exaggerated, but it happened today, and it'll probably happen again if there's only 3 drivers by the time they are lining up for the demo. If the turnout is that poor and someone just barely makes it, they'll more than likely be allowed in, especially if they are one of the best ones out there.

I'm willing to discuss this with anyone that has an open mind. I do think a LOT went wrong today on many parts, but a "rant" thread with all these new requirements that are part pointless and part common sense still is far beyond the solution for this issue at hand.

Why is everyone acting like a firesuit and a cage is such a bad thing? I know it's an expensive investment, but it's a fucking safety issue in a sport where a million things can go wrong. If you are so interested in moving to the big leagues of drifting then these are simple rules as far as punctuality and safety and it's not a burden. Everyone here is willing to throw money down on making 2000 plus pounds of metal move faster but the same people complain about making it safer?

Be on time
Have your shit
Don't be a sellout

Seems like common sense.

The rules Moe is adding are nothing serious and not going to cost you any more money. He just wants to assure that you are there so he doesn't look like (for lack of a better term) an ass. The tech rules are the same if not stricter for Road Racing and were complaining about having to be there early? And for sake of preventing an argument drifting is on the same level as Road Racing but people don't take us serious because we don't take our sport serious enough. Cmon now guys man up and look professional, you could end up getting a sponsor out of it.

Last edited:
Id just like to preface the following statements with this statement

"I am a nobody here and in the sport of drifting. I dont claim to be anything more than that. Id also like to state that as i have come out to events, ive met lots of people who for the most part where very cool with me and ive tried to be cool to all people ive met as well and have even come to think of some of you as friends ( yes even you moe ). Normally i dont voice my OPINION because it typically gets me in trouble, but i am gonna do just that here and hope none of you think anything less of me for it"

Having said that, here is what i think the problem with this whole situation is...

First off, basic as it gets this is the quote from the about us section of the fara website

FARAUSA was established in the State of Florida, has been very active in the community especially in the Spanish segment and proved to be very important to the auto industry and its products.

We are a group of drivers, organizer of the most important, serious and attractive category dedicated to the world of auto racing, connecting a vast and growing niche of racers along with advertisers to the general public in Florida and South East United States.

Our full dedication will feature high quality racing for all, especially for those with low or limited budget in our Region.

FARAUSA is predominantly for amateur drivers or beginners that will be competing with the most experienced pilots in every class, all under affordable and equal level playing field and technical specifications.

Our name and logo is universally recognized and in knowing this, FARA will become instantly familiar and the class of choice for every driver to join..

lets take the most important parts of this mission statement and apply them to drifting at fara

Our full dedication will feature high quality racing for all, especially for those with low or limited budget in our Region.

most people in the drifting community are of the low or limited budget, yet at fara events you are required a full fire suit and a cage which can cost upwards of 2000 dollars if you really want to be legit (before you flame this read the next paragraph below). Maybe if you where trying to run a legitimate drifting series, but from what ive gathered from moe he is trying to start a movement in the sport for florida, call it grassroots if you will, and i dont think given the community we have here this is possible. Maybe in a place like california but not florida.

FARAUSA is predominantly for amateur drivers or beginners that will be competing with the most experienced pilots in every class, all under affordable and equal level playing field and technical specifications.

again this does not apply to the way the fara drifting is being run, beginners and amateurs are expressly discouraged from particpating in this. As for the technical specifications i can understand the need for a safe car, but i will counter with this, drift events are run all over the country on legitimate tracks with no firesuit or full roll cage. Further more 1 saturday a month you can go to a nasa hpde or scca track day and run your car on the track in some cases double the speed through the turns that what would occur in drifting with only a seatbelt and helmet, even in hpde 4 which is basically a full on road race (ie unrestrected passing and cars next to each other) same tech applies.

Now on to this sponsorship subject.

Lets all be honest with each other, the most cars that have ever been there for the drift are what like 10 where as there are like 50 plus road race cars. People esepecially sponsors who go to fara dont go there for the 30 minutes of drifting they go for the 4 hours of road racing. Put it this way, your a sponsor and go look at this fad of drifting with a handful of cars, and your gonna put your money in one of them where as the road racing has twice the as much following? Its called a cost benfit analysis, any of you that are trying to get sponsored by someone stop for a moment and instead of asking what can i get from the sponsor, instead ask what can i provide FOR the sponsor, i bet the list will be shorter than what your trying to get.

Now i understand what moe is trying to do here, and i think we all can appreciate the exposure he is trying to give drifting and all of the drivers that are skilled enough to attend the event in its current format. However as i posted back in the fdc thread, the reason the events fail is because the events themselves are too ambitious.

Im curious to how many people really think they can make a carear out of drifting. It seems to me as these events are like the NFL draft for drifting, you have to come out kill it be 10/10s and then hope you get drafted (sponsorships pro etc) the only problem is there is no NFL or pro league to go here.

At the end of the day people here have real responsibilties mortgages / rent / families / life. For those reasons you guys will never really have enough cars that meet your expectations for what you are trying to achieve, and drifting will always be a hobby / fad and not taken seriously.

Well i know ive just written one long criticism of the events but heres one thing you can do to make it better.

Get more cars, if you where really serious about getting sponsors attention your wouldnt have a handfull of cars, instead you should be turning people away because you dont have enough space. When sponsors see a following they see a way to get there product out there, after all what good is an advertisement if no ones gonna see it. If you could show fara whoever that theres fuck tons of people into this youd have more succes imo.

I know get more cars is a general statement but you guys should know what you need to do to get more cars.

Again moe, i dont want you to think this is an attack on you, you asked for comments and got 3 pages of whining, i tried to be as fair and constructive as i could, i hope you dont take this personally.

I am not saying a cage and a fire suit aren't great things to have. Great to have extra safety, and making you look a lot more presentable.

I'm not saying let's have a free for all (even though running without fire suits would make me feel a lot better and not like in some miserable oven).

My point is that I don't believe his new measures will help the drifting demo at all. He's just reinforcing the obvious, nothing he's adding there is a new requirement. Everyone there last time needed a cage and a suit already.

What I'm arguing is that the way he's reinforcing it seems like more of a slap in the face to drifters than a reminder of what's necessary.

Moe, I understand that how the drifters look, behave and perform reflects entirely upon you at FARA. But it's time to start working together instead of just pointing the fingers at the drifters.

^^ amazing, excellent points and opinions!! would you like to write an essay for me ! ill pay! :D..

moe i understand where u coming from again im sorry i came late for some reason i was super tired the night before the event i changed my rear main seal an did other things to my car to get everything ready again im sorry for getting there 2 secs before we went out but atleast i made it an i had a good time just sucked i ran out of tires but next time it wont happen an i will have new tires also. lol thanks again an i wish more people would have been there an when do u want me to get teched for the next demo?? o n thanks for that girl that got me that soda lol.

damn jerry with the book and shit. relax ***** most people on this forum are still on a 3rd grade reading level and cant understand.

but you do make a very valid point.

i personally think the Demo sucked to be honest, and it made me look bad because i brought a friend who has never seen drifting live and was anxious to finally see it. but when the demo happened it was pretty dissapointing. i gotta give it up to the drivers who did their part to provide a show but all in all it didnt really do much for the crowd.

i figured it being a "demo" there would be good qualified drivers who can "put on a show". its the best of what we got..hence why not everyone is allowed at homestead.

i also i think moe tried to earn his respect by tackling any and every challenge he can get his hands on and to be honest moe you tell me if its easy to work most of the day till super late on someones car with no success to then have to get up early and manage a drift demo AND a car show and anything else fara tells you to do?
you are only human can only take do so much with out fucking up consistently.

i remember at first, there where drivers with out firesuits and with out cages...if i remember correctly Kyle (kleen555) used to be one that drove that way. why did tim get that kind of access and Moe didnt?

I agree with the rules 100% cause Moe is not out to make it harder for us but to make sure things go smooth and according to plan and not just that... many other things like:
1. it sucks changing shit at last minute, Moe doesnt get a crew of people to handle things for him... is usualy like 3 people that try to help him out cause fara dont know shit bout drifting and how to organize it... if they did Moe wouldnt have to do it;) .
2. going crazy trying to tech cars at last minute is the worst, not to mention that the tech for the FARA cars is uber strict in comparation with our car tech... we have cars going on track with antifreeze, oil leacks, loose parts, etc... and yes I'm guilty of such as well but we have to understand that making events like this are not easy.

we have gotten pampered and cocky at the fact that they want us to go there. where else can we drift at a real pro race track for free? l think we should be greatful cause we get such a nice chance. I blew my new motor the night before and I was more upset that I missed a drift day at homestead than the fact my motor went.
we can make good events happen but we need participation and cooperation.

Last edited:
where else can we drift at a real pro race track for free?

PBIR Demos? There's also demos at Charlotte and OSW, but I don't know if you want to call those real "pro" race tracks. Aside from Sebring, I think FL has none other.

And I'm pretty sure everyone is thankful for the chance. But many times they don't have the opportunity to make an appearance for a free event, because it would cost them money to fix whatever they need fixed, probably twice as much if they are trying to make a deadline. And drifters are mainly all these kids who are giving up all the little they make to participate. Aside from MAYBE a handful, I highly doubt anyone has a career where they have enough money to properly maintain a race car, like most people out at FARA and other motorsports.

Seriously. People are blowing this way out of proportion. What Moe said was common sense. But it should've been addressed as "please let's be on time" instead of the frustrating rant that was posted.

Demo sucked. No one feels good about it. Some need to check their common sense.

Now we all move on and make it better on the next one.

Last edited:
You put it better than I did, so I used it. With the shady avatars, people might not believe you. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom