help me understand this

Stock miata diffs are torson i believe. Making them extremely difficult to slide. Upgraded the diff and driving and the issues will be gone

not entiirely tru.. ive always slid my miata with the torsen diff and it has always kicked out great.. i issues i run into alot is snap oversteer.
i ran into some understeer when i have horrible tires up front but that went away with new tires.. now if he was open diff that could cause understeer also.

for real, never ever weld your diff. it makes ur car push like a fat chick wearing tight pants n the buckles about to pop.

I don't know what any of this means.

I have 2 cars with welded diffs that drift just fine.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

not entiirely tru.. ive always slid my miata with the torsen diff and it has always kicked out great.. i issues i run into alot is snap oversteer.
i ran into some understeer when i have horrible tires up front but that went away with new tires.. now if he was open diff that could cause understeer also.

God I hate even hearing my brain read that.

But yeah I've slid an FD with a torsen, and it was fine.

Yeah shit kicks out no prob. I usually just do kick outs all sick. Going to a tandem kick out comp tomorrow. Hope everyone can kick it out.

Could you explain to me how bigger tires in front will cause understeer?
By bigger do you mean wider or taller?

Taller I get more sidewall and roll over, but wider?????

I never used to have problems initiating when I was driving a SOHC with an open diff. :gayfight:

I love drifting the G35.. it's so much more fun when you have a LSD/Power/Brembos.

I don't drive with VDC "On" :bigthumbu

Anyway, back on topic.
Don't attempt to drift unless you're at the track because unless you know what you're doing you're going to seriously screw some shit up. One bad initiation on the street can end with a stop sign in your passenger seat or worse.

I never used to have problems initiating when I was driving a SOHC with an open diff. :gayfight:

I love drifting the G35.. it's so much more fun when you have a LSD/Power/Brembos.

I don't drive with VDC "On" :bigthumbu

Anyway, back on topic.
Don't attempt to drift unless you're at the track because unless you know what you're doing you're going to seriously screw some shit up. One bad initiation on the street can end with a stop sign in your passenger seat or worse.

what?
idk how thats on topic at all but

Street

Track
[ame="http://vimeo.com/19111173"]BMW Crash @ CFRC on Vimeo[/ame]

I would have LOVED to just have a stop sign on my passenger seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully I have a cage. So in the rare occasion of falling telephone polesr, the cage will protect me 100X more then my helmet.
I am not going to begin the whole street vs track argument because I actually enjoy drifting on the track a lot more then on the street. Not worrying about cops makes it all worth it.

Thankfully I have a cage. So in the rare occasion of falling telephone polesr, the cage will protect me 100X more then my helmet.
I am not going to begin the whole street vs track argument because I actually enjoy drifting on the track a lot more then on the street. Not worrying about cops makes it all worth it.

ummm i hate to tell ya but a cage w/o a helmet is really dangerous. why do you think they make you put padding on the cage where the helmet can contact it? cuz even with a helmet, straight metal bar can kill/seriously injure you. so without a helmet (even if you have the padding) you will die faster than without a cage in many crashes.

and not saying you do, but if people thing that the foam swimming noodle material is the padding you need, you are wrong. that is worthless at anything over 30mph.

ummm i hate to tell ya but a cage w/o a helmet is really dangerous. Why do you think they make you put padding on the cage where the helmet can contact it? Cuz even with a helmet, straight metal bar can kill/seriously injure you. So without a helmet (even if you have the padding) you will die faster than without a cage in many crashes.

And not saying you do, but if people thing that the foam swimming noodle material is the padding you need, you are wrong. That is worthless at anything over 30mph.

+1

Street = you can hurt your car/you and OTHER PEOPLES STUFF + Lots more stuff to hit.

Track = you can hurt you car/you.

That was my point.

I have hit the wall at tracks and I have screwed up my suspension on the street. I don't think it's a good idea for someone who does not know what they are doing to drift on the street. (I don't think they should on the street even if they do know what they are doing, but that's a different topic.. And sometimes I don't even follow it myself)

/End Rant

ummm i hate to tell ya but a cage w/o a helmet is really dangerous. why do you think they make you put padding on the cage where the helmet can contact it? cuz even with a helmet, straight metal bar can kill/seriously injure you. so without a helmet (even if you have the padding) you will die faster than without a cage in many crashes.

and not saying you do, but if people thing that the foam swimming noodle material is the padding you need, you are wrong. that is worthless at anything over 30mph.

Agreed

I agree with this to an extent. My buddy Kris from Chicago actually wrecked and got a concussion from hitting his cage with his head. Ignorant of him, yes. BUT his seat placement was extremely high.

When I drove my car (btw, that little corner is as far as it got driven on Fl streets) my head came no where near the cage bar because of my seat placement. I had a good few inches from the cage to where the top of my dome was.

So yes I agree about the padding and that the swimming noodles are garbage...but driving with a cage without a helmet isn't unsafe unless when your normally driving your head can hit the cage easily.

Anyways
<3
get ur car done so i can crash into u on the track where u will be safe :bigthumbu

I agree with this to an extent. My buddy Kris from Chicago actually wrecked and got a concussion from hitting his cage with his head. Ignorant of him, yes. BUT his seat placement was extremely high.

When I drove my car (btw, that little corner is as far as it got driven on Fl streets) my head came no where near the cage bar because of my seat placement. I had a good few inches from the cage to where the top of my dome was.

So yes I agree about the padding and that the swimming noodles are garbage...but driving with a cage without a helmet isn't unsafe unless when your normally driving your head can hit the cage easily.

Anyways
<3
get ur car done so i can crash into u on the track where u will be safe :bigthumbu

Yea your cage might be higher and normally you cant touch it with your head... but is it worth dying or laying in a bed for the rest of your life not being able to move cause you wanted to slide one corner? if you have all the right gear, and that still happens at the track - we knowingly endanger ourselves. and at least there wont be a regret of why didnt I use ______ safety equipment.

people should realize that in an accident, you bend and move around a lot more than you can just 'trying' to. The forces in a crash are exponentially higher than you seeing if your head can touch it. Wasn't your steering wheel bent from your crash at CFRC? Telling me you normally could have bent that with just trying?

Bottom line is people will street drift no matter my personal opinion or views. But please dont think you are always safer with a cage in normal street driving.

I sure hope that my car is done soon though, its been FAR to long.

The cage reference was to a telephone pole falling on top of my car.
in any case...I feel that we should just hug. Like real men.

Back
Top Bottom